Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an equivalent 225/40r18 to the Goodyear F1's on our GXP's.

Fitting a set of chrome Solstice wheels on a HHR. 245's work on the rear, need 225 for the front.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
You really mean 225/40?? That's a very low sidewall and quite different to our standard F1's (245/45's).

If you do, just check Discount Tire or Tirerack.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, and, yes I do mean, 225/40R18. I have a set of chrome Solstice wheels I'm putting on my HHR. The 245's work well on the rear but are too wide for the front. The stock tire size on the HHR is 215/55R16 and it seems 225/40R18 would be about right. My problem/issue is finding an Goodyear F1 GS2 to match the rear tires. I believe, I read, that even with the 225's on the front, a spacer is still required. I would love just to put the 245's on the front as well. I have the tires on the rims, as I purchased them. I just get the impression that the spacers required to make the 245's work would be huge?

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Well, I don't know why you'd need a spacer (I don't have an HHR), but you'd want to keep your current overall tire-wheel diameter the same front and back, surely? Thus, if you have 245/45-18's on the back but wanted a narrower tire on front, then going to 225 would mean you should INcrease the aspect ratio to maintain the same sidewall height. Thus you'd need 225/50's.

If you wanted the same diameter as your original 215/55-16's, then yes, you'd want the 225/40. But then the fronts will be a different diameter to the rears, so compared to that, the tire type is probably moot!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it's a strut tower clearance issue. Just tried the 245's not even close. The car does not have traction and it is front wheel drive, so, I'm not worried about the frt to rr difference. More important to keep the front wheel and tire diameter close.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Yes, it's a strut tower clearance issue. Just tried the 245's not even close. The car does not have traction and it is front wheel drive, so, I'm not worried about the frt to rr difference. More important to keep the front wheel and tire diameter close.
You might not be worried about it, but your ABS (likely) and/or traction control might be.

I know with the PT Cruiser you didn't want to have different sizes because of the ABS

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 2006 LS. I know it doesn't have traction and i'm pretty sure it doesn't have ABS either.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
When you turn your key on, there will be an ABS light that comes on briefly (like the check engine light) if you have ABS. Or just look at your build tag inside the glove box, check for code JM4, if its there you have an ABS equipped unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts