Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

TIS2Web SPS programming & subscriptions

13K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  n4cr2k 
#1 ·
I had recently bought a GM Tech2 to help troubleshoot and diagnose issues that may arise on the my 07 GXP. My radio started giving issues, so I picked up a new UUI one from a junkyard online. I was able to do a VIN relearn with the Tech2, but the volume and chimes were too loud. The radio was supposed to have come from an upgraded speaker RPO, but apparently it didn't. From my research it seems I can buy a subscription to TIS2Web and apply the correct programing to the radio to get it to interact with my monsoon system and have normal volumes. This is were I am confused and have concern. Apparently GM/ACDelco have changed their subscription models. I see: "Vehicle Programming Software Includes: 24 months access to program all modules for one vehicle (VIN)" and Tech2Win 3 day and GDS Light duty 3 day. When I called they said I would only need the Vehicle programming software piece. However, to program this radio, since it wasn't an option on my vehicle on my car until 09 and it came from another model, I need to "trick" TIS2Web and use the VIN from the new model to be able to see that programming and apply it to my vehicle. Can I do this with the one VIN programming subscription? It seems for the price difference the 3 day options give you unlimited, but which one would I use? I know this forum might not be the best place to answer this question. I've already scoured the web and looked at other car forums and even called, but their answer wasn't warm and fuzzy clear. Any help to point me in the right direction is appreciated.
Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I do not believe you could do it with the VIN option only, since as you said that option was not part of the MY VIN you will supply.
Also are you sure the old BCM would take the 09 software?.

#4 · (Edited)
@LatinVenom I agree with that logic as well. However the two 3 day pass options are for "GM Light Duty Global Diagnostics 2- GDS 2" and "Tech2Win". The first seems to indicate (and what I was told on the phone) that it is only for diagnostic, not programming. The Tech2Win seems to be only if you don't have a Tech2, which I have. Maybe @gmtech16450yz can clarify that was well. As far as the 09 programing on my BCM. I have read other guys (like @gmtech16450yz) doing it, either themselves or through the dealer.

@ChopTop. Yes, I read his work on the skyroadster forum. He had good information about the process. I'll reach out to him.

Not to change the subject too much, but has anyone been able to read the SPS programming on their solstice with a Tech2 and TIS2000? I plug everything in, choose SPS, enter my make/year/model, the Tech2 flashes, the dash clicks, DIC lights flash, door chime goes off and then I get presented with my correct VIN. I then select radio (or any option) and hit next, then choose the correct (or any RPO). it does the same dance of flashes clicks lights and bells, but then comes back and says:

The communication count not be established with the vehicle/controller! Please check:
-the connection between Tech2 and vehicle
-that the correct vehicle is identified
-that no communication trouble codes exist on the vehicle

I've read everything I could on the Saab or any forums related to connectivity issues. I've tried multiple supported USB to serial adapters. I even built a physical machine with a real serial port. I've adjusted baud rates, swapped cables for shorter better shielded ones. The Tech2 works fine to read the car. Self check says everything is working, even the rs232 check with loopback is successful. There are no DTC codes on any of the modules on the vehicle. I'm running out of ideas to test. I'm going to try removing the new radio to see if it is causing any issues.

#5 ·
I am with you in your last comment about removing the new radio, you should try to stablish the communications with the original parts to the car.

#6 ·
I would think you just need the SPS portion and not any other subscription since you have a Tech2. I could be wrong I just started using it this week. I can check later and see what options it gives me but for most things it only allows the latest programming based on the VIN. I am not sure tricking it with another VIN would work either since it reads the VIN from the car as part of the process but I have never tried the radio portion.

TIS2000 might be an option but you said you were having issues with that.

#7 ·
SPS info seems to indicate you can select whatever radio and hardware you want even under a specific VIN. I can’t verify until I connect to the car. I will try and go out later and get you a couple screenshots and you confirm if it will work for you before purchasing the subscription.

I would be concerned that if TIS2000 wasn’t working you might have the same issue with TIS2Web.

#8 ·
Looks like either would work and give you the option to select the radio type. It should read the hardware ID after that and give you the proper programming. I still think you are going to need to get the Tech2 communicating properly first. Sorry for the terrible screenshot but I just took a picture with my phone.

I do not have experience with the Tech2 and SPS programming since I am using a pass-thru cable. I would assume if 2000 is not working Web would not either but who knows.

Attachments

#9 ·
@JMA321 thanks for all the info! I'm still trying to get my pass-thru setup working. Once I get it working, my logic was to enter my car parameters normally. Let it scan the vehicle and return the VIN, change the VIN to a model that had the new radio, then select the appropriate RPO code for the radio and apply.

I'm going to try removing the new radio to see if it's causing communication issues. I doubt it, since the Tech2 hooked up directly to the car can see and identify it just fine. I might buy the TIS2Web programming anyways just for a whirl. It's only $40 for 2 years. Maybe the newer software will work better? I also ordered a new MAX232 chip to replace the MAX202 chip for the RS232 interface in the Tech2. I read those could be buggy. I've also bought a UUI radio from a Malibu. These things are super cheap now. Supposedly the Panasonic ones work better with auto configuring to the amp. Plus i can do a face plate swap. If I can't get my Tech2 to work in pass-thru I might look to get an MDI unit. This is way more than i've originally set out to spend to replace a failing radio, but these are good tools to have and its fun to learn something new.
@JMA321 what are you using to interface with your vehicle? Tech2, MDI 1/2, mongoose pro, something else?

#11 ·
Take this for what it is worth as I have never replaced the radio or reprogrammed it, but I think you can just use your VIN and just select the radio package type you need from the list. It will check the hardware ID from the radio(I think) and give you the latest software option for it. From what I have seen this should work, and there is no place to change the VIN using either of these that I am aware of.

As far as my interface I am using VXDIAG VCX NANO for GM. This supports Tech2Win and J2534 pass-thru for programming. Tech2Win can be hit or miss depending on your version of windows and other hardware variables, but you already have a Tech2 for diagnostics. The pass-thru setup is simple and seems to work on every laptop I tried. Since that is the portion you need might be worth looking into. You can pick one up from $90-130 depending on where you get it from and how long you are willing to wait for it. We are on opposite sides of the state unfortunately or I would just say use mine.

Seems like a shame to go that route since you already have the Tech2 and that should work. It is possible the TIS2Web intefaces with it better but who knows. Let us know how you make out.

#12 ·
#14 ·
Thanks guys. That's correct. I've already done a VIN relearn, so I'm just looking to do a reprogram. I am handy with a soldering iron, so I'll add this to my list of troubleshooting options. As far as the laptop goes, I'm using VMWare with a USB to serial adapter. I did pull an old physical computer from my parts graveyard and rebuilt it from scratch and installed WinXP/TIS2000. It had an actual physical serial port too. This would be the most authentic period correct hardware setup possible. But I get the same result as my laptop and the virtualized environment. I'm (hopefully) going to rip the dash apart this weekend and try swapping between the 3 radios I have to see if any of those makes a difference. I also might do some COM port mirroring/sniffing to see if I can get any idea on what the communication failure might be. The new RS232 chips are on the slow boat from China, so I'll have to wait a week or two for them. I'll post my results.

#15 ·
Status update. So I put the factory stereo back in, and bingo TIS2000 worked perfectly. It came back and asked for the part number, I put in my radio, and there was an update to the factory programming, so it's applying that now. Next I'll try the other newer radio (panasonic vs delphi) to see what happens. My current guess is that when the vehicle reports back its inventory, TIS2000 only goes up to 2008, so the 09 parts aren't in the database and it chokes and throws an error. But since my laptop & Tech2 are working fine, I should be able to purchase the SPS programing with TIS2Web and program those newer radios. We'll see.

#16 ·
Update #2. Well I was careless and had my laptop on battery. It went into hibernation and suspended the VM. This left the programing in a hung state and I had to forcefully quit. Needless to say the radio was soft bricked. However, I was able to power cycle and hook it back up and go through the programming again, and now it works. Phew. Next I hooked up the Panasonic radio from the Malibu. Unlocked it with the Tech2, then tried to do SPS programming in TIS2000. Lo and behold it didn't error out to my surprise! However, since this radio is newer than 08 TIS2000 doesn't it have it in its database so I can't program it. The volume level is a bit better, but still higher than normal. Just for academic purposes, since everything seemed to be communicating I plugged the Delphi radio from the Cobalt back in. I ran SPS and it errored out again. So a revised theory is something that Delphi Cobalt radio sends back causes a communication error with TIS2000. My next step is going to be to purchase the TIS2Web and try to reprogram the new radios. Stay tuned.

#17 · (Edited)
@JMA321 I was doing some digging through the TIS2Web documentation for service programming. On page 39 of the PDF, or around 3:10 in the youtube video it shows that it returns a VIN just like in my TIS2000. In your single VIN subscription on TIS2Web do you see the same screen? Will it let you edit and enter another VIN? I can do this on my TIS2000, but only up to 2008. I only want to program my VIN, but need an alternate VIN to see the correct RPO codes and programming.

PDF https://gsi.ext.gm.com/userguides/GM_TIS2Web_User_Guide.pdf
Youtube

#18 ·
I will have to connect to the car later to check but I am pretty sure it reads it and there is no way to edit the VIN.

What you can do though before purchasing anything is go to the link below, enter the real car VIN, select the stereo option you wan, and then on the next page it will give a long list of hardware IDs. See if the radio you want to use is listed there. It might might be there even for your VIN without faking anything.

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

If it is not there I guess you could write a wrong/fake VIN to the ECM and then connect to th SPS. That would trick it while you program the radio and then you could write it back. Either way check the VIN against the site above and make sure it lists the radio you want before purchasing the subscription.

#19 ·
Yes, I've familiar with the that site. It gives me the same part numbers as TIS2000, which seem to be every radio part number for the 07-08 RPO radios options. The only way I know to see the 09+ RPO codes and part numbers is to enter a VIN from that year. I guess the other option is VCI, but I'm not sure I get access to that with my subscription. If you have a chance to connect to you car, I'd be interested to see what happens.

#20 ·
So I bought the $40 2 year vehicle programing subscription. It does give you a prompt to change or enter a new VIN number. However, it then gives an error about the VIN not being assigned to the subscription. It seems the first time you connect, it records your VIN and assigns it to your subscription. I sent a message to ACDelco/GM asking about the issue.

#22 ·
@kjelle69

It all worked out in the end. I can't remember which radio I used (Panasonic or Delphi), but its the one that let me keep my red led face plate so it looks totally factory. To program it, I did need to spend another $39 (or whatever the cost is) to add another VIN. But that was only because the part isn't in the programming database for my model year. The Tech 2 itself has been great. I recently used it to pair a new key fob to the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.