Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I'm a newbie, and love the site. Love the Solstice, and considering buying an '06, in MINT condition. My concern....it's an '06 with only 4000 miles on it. It's been garage when not being driven. The car looks stellar, but I am worried about the little mileage on it....like maybe it's not broken in. Any suggestions??
THANKS!

·
Registered
199 Posts
HI stole, just make sure all the recalls are up to date. How was it stored or just sat. I change my battery last year on my (06). Didn't want to take the chance of it going bad, I had to take the side fender off to change it. How often was the filter and oil changed.
Sounds like a good fine.
Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey D-Rod. Thanks. The car was stored in a heated garage during the winter, and in an unheated garage in summer, when not driven. The seller told me that she had a 2006 recall addressed, and that she changed the oil, for the first time, last spring....at the 3700 mark. The car is beauuuuuuutifullllll....just want to be sure that the lack of mileage isn't a problem.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
I don't think the lack of mileage is a problem, as long as it was driven every once in a while.

The problem may be the lack of oil changes. This car is six or seven years old, and GM recommends that the oil/filter be changed once per year, regardless of mileage.

With the low mileage, it's possible that the oil could have had a lot of contaminants in it, for a long time, especially if the engine never got warm enough, for long enough, to burn the contaminants out of the oil.

Chances are everything is OK with it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Thanks DaveOC. I love these cars, and am trying to justify spending the money, and just trying to be as thorough as I can.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Are you sure you wouldn't prefer a nice lightly used Honda Civic?

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
stole - I recommend you send me the information on the car including location, color, and selling price and you should immediately walk away from the deal.

I'll let you know later whether or not you should have bought it.

; )

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
A few things to think about. The '06 were Normally Apirated (NA). Some had A/C, some didn't. I don't know how much they want for it, but I'm thinking $14-$16k? If they want more, walk away and look for an '07 or '08 NA.....or if you're lucky like I was you can find a GXP (turbo) for that price range. Do the research on the internet for the price range.

My concern would be like stated...only having one oil change would concern me....furthermore if the car wasn't driven or sat for a long periods of time gaskets could be leaking. Tires WILL need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Buy a GXP. I bought a base model a few years ago, modded the hell out of it and then traded it in for a GXP. Only reason I did not buy the GXP at first is because when they first came out, they were over priced. Now you can find them at great prices and get the extra power you will want from the get go.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
kidding right ??

drive it - if it seems fine - imo you have lucked up and basically found yourself a NEW CAR !.......
doubt SERIOUSLY they put 4k on it allllllllll at once...and THEN ? it sat for years ?..not likely...sounds like lil ole lady that only drove to church on SUNNY sundays......

as far as the get a 07,08,09 ........:lol: mines a 06-> came with oil cooler which was later discontinued, and it'll be hard to find any THAT NEW PERIOD !...... if yuh not satisfied with a NA and want the turbo then ''pass'.........otherwise :party:

HELL YEAH i'd change the oil drive it a bit and change it again but i wouldn't think twice if yuh get a good price

what do they want for it ???????..........:cool:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi All. I'm a newbie, and love the site. Love the Solstice, and considering buying an '06, in MINT condition. My concern....it's an '06 with only 4000 miles on it. It's been garage when not being driven. The car looks stellar, but I am worried about the little mileage on it....like maybe it's not broken in. Any suggestions??
THANKS!
stole,

Hello newbie. Welcome to the forum. I am here for you, if you ever need assistance. :)

Safe Travels.

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care Service

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
You really need to do your homework and ask yourself, what are my expectations. weigh the price and compare it to an 08 or 09 GXP. the difference in power is crazy. Plus with something that old and sitting, you really want to change the tires before you do any driving. the suggested life is 6 years and they deteriorate from the inside out. But if she only wants 10k or less then it sounds like you will have a nice ride there. Just do yourself a favor, if you get it, never sit behind the wheel of a GXP. if you have any hot rod in you, you will be running to trade it in. And if you get it cheap, maybe you can pay cash, drive it to a dealer and trade it in on a GXP and have some really low payments. I have an 06NA and I absolutely love it. just wish it had some balls.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
that was pretty damn close. love that supercharger whine too.

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I do believe that's JimmyBaja's coupe. Now for sale at a very low price over on the kappaperformance forum and it has a fully DDM-rebuilt and strengthened engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
zzzybil....
they're asking $14k for it.
the car still even smells new!
just learned today that she never had the '08 pinion seal recall taken car of, but i believe that GM will still honor it.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I realize you probably have a price range....like we all do. You probably have something in mind as far as "fun car", "daily driver", etc. The mileage is very low on this car. But, personally I think $14k is a bit steep for a '06 NA. Maybe I'm wrong. I paid $16k for my '08 GXP with a TON of aftermarket goodies. I have approximately $4k in aftermarket stuff... Mine had 40k on it when I bought it.

What drew me to jump on mine so quickly were 2 things...
1) I have wanted the car since they released it
2) Mine had a little logo on the side....."T2". I did research on it (but not enough) and found out they made a limited production, about 200 T2's. I didn't know they only came in yellow. So mine is a "knock off"....a fake rolex if you will. It's got all the bling of the regular rolex, all the power and then some, but it's not worth as much! :lol: Do I love my little car any less??? NOPE!! As a matter of fact, I think I love it more because I can mod it without decreasing the value!

Do your homework on the car. Weigh all of the factors on this little car. It will become an obsession! Do you want more then 164hp? Do you want the added expense and care of a turbo car? Lots of questions to ask yourself....but one thing is for sure....no matter which you choose you will not be disappointed with your new ride!

Where are you located Stole??? What state? What major metropolis?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts