Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, "hola" to everybody. I am looking for a new/used car. My wife and me always like the way the solstice looks. I have several questions on my mind. A used Soltice or a new Miata? A GXP turbo or a not GXP 2.4L? Stick or automatic - we both know how to drive stick? I need help to make my mind, been looking for a used certified Soltice GXP but there is none near me that I can tray. I may have to drive at least 4 hours to see one, that's why I would like to have a better understanding of the car. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
No one can help you make up your mind, you need to form your own preferences and then let them guide your buying decisions. Only you know whether you prefer manual or automatic, or whether the superior power of the GXP is something you care about.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a GXP and I am happy with the power and the interior differences. I think the GXP even gets better gas mileage than the non-turbo.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You and your Wife just need to be honest about your driving habits and that will guide you to the right choice for you. The GXP does get better gas mileage than the N/A if driven the same way. It has a Smaller engine.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Get the GXP.....stick for sure .... then get it tuned.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
I had a new N/A for about eight months. Then I visited a local dealership and test drove a new GXP. I traded and drove home the GXP that day and have never, not for one nano-second, second-guessed my decision. Not only does the GXP have more power, it handles better, and gets better mileage. And, if you check the numbers it seems to be holding its resale value more than the N/A. Looking ahead, I believe the GXP will be more 'collectable' than the N/A, and this is certainly true of the coupe. Currently I have no plans to ever get rid of my GXP (maybe will it to one of the grandkids someday.) It is a different driving experience. Based on my own experience and driving preferences, I would recommend you give serious consideration to the GXP over the N/A.

(And to the guy who said get a Miata, . . . do it if you wish to settle only for mediocrity.) These Miata girly-cars are a dime a dozen. Who cares, except maybe for the guy who wishes to get an older used one to strip down and trick out for AutoX or track days.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have an N/A because it is all i can afford. I have never driven a GXP but have driven an LNF powered car, a cobalt SS. The power is incredible from the turbo engine, and they are not too much more expensive in my parts than the N/A. I am sticking with the N/A and installing a turbocharger to see just how much can be pulled from the LE5, but if I had my choice and unlimited money, I probably would have purchased a GXP

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used to own a base model solstice and was happy with it I really was. Until I drove my friends GXP the next week I had mine for sale and bought a Sky Redline. You cant go wrong even if you dont like the power think about the added features and options. Traction control (you will want to keep this on during the rain LOL) LSD rear end and you dont have to downshift to pass anyone on the highway.

Its cheaper to get a GXP/REDLINE now then it will to go with a BASE and try to upgrade it. Costs ALOT to make good power out of a BASE and with a GXP you just have to sneeze $500 at it to make almost an extra 75 horses unlike the BASE.

Dont forget better gas mileage if you can keep off the throttle lol

Anyway Happy shopping and best of luck. Just make sure you are happy with what you buy and post pics once you get it!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had an 08 n/a for about 10 months and logged about 22k miles almost all highway. I loved that car, it was fully loaded, but after reading about the LNF motor, I knew that I would not be happy until I had one. I trade in for an 09 GXP, it was not equipped as nice as my 08, but not only was it a LNF, but it also had the ZOK suspension. I have not regretted this trade ever. What I have now is amazing, and is very easy to tweak if one wants even more power.Mileage for me was basically the same between the 2.4 and the 2.0 turbo. But after adding the GMPP tune, I saw a 3.5 mpg increase. Pick what will make you happy, you truly need to try them out. In my home town there are times that I pull up to a 4 way stop and see a mustang at the other 3 directions. There are almost that many miatas here too ( very boring). I get noticed a lot because a solstice is distinctively different, way cool, and has the ability to out run most of these "better?" cars.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Excuse me, but the gxp is also a girlie car. This spoken by a 'girlie' ;)

Begging your pardon, EarthNTX. I must have been ill advised all these years, presuming that females who drive Sols are women, and females who drive Miatas are girlies. :lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a GXPand my sis asked me to help her buy a Sky. I test drove 4 NA models and cannot for the life of me condone said purchase. We are young and drive fast/aggressive so the power of the turbo is something we cannot live without. SHe drove my car and knows what power feels like. The NA clutches feel alot different as well. All of them seem to engage much further from the floorboards than my GXP. I dont like that at all. The NA all seem to get less MPGs also.

Its a no-brainer, get what you want. My wife refuses to learn to drive a manual. I still bought it and call it 'our' car saying she can drive it whenever she wants.

·
Registered
346 Posts
GXP you will not be sorry,standard shift is more like driving a can instead of just riding in a car.IMHO rag top,stick,GXP,Black (if you can keep it clean,near impossible)Trifecta tune and enjoy it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get the GXP, go yellow... no regrets, all smiles :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts