Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to get idea about the popularity of this type of add-on, thought I'd ask is anyone going to add spinners to his his car? For those non-gangsta types out there who don't know, spinners are wheel add-ons that spin independently of the tires and make the car look like its stuck in mud or something when its at rest. PS do women like them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think they fall into the same category as big wings. They are completely non-functional, add to unsprung weight, and they scream "look at me". I think in ten years, they will be looked upon like biker shorts, slap bracelets, and baggy pants with the waist around your knees.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
When spinners first came out, I thought they were kinda kool. There are many different kinds (even ones that have battery-powered magnets that can spin the spinners in opposite direction) now, and they tend to be quite expensive. I've seen some weighted so no matter what the actual wheel is doing, they look like they are standing still. They certainly gain attention.

They are TOTALLY for show - nothing else. They tend to be very heavy - adding up to 11 lbs to a wheel (YIKES!). I've seen many people that have them, from women to men, and all kinds of ethnicity. When I started seeing them in western MI, I knew they were a style function that had legs. I've seen them at very nice restaurants, on BMW 5-series even.

They certainly do what they set out to achieve. Nowadays, I still find myself staring at them when they are spinning in the wind at a stoplight - especially when a rear one is spinning forward and the front one is spinning backward :willy: Somehow, they are mesmerizing.

When I was a kid, we all put pieces of plastic or playing cards on our spokes, just to be "cool". That's what I think these spinners are. Something that someone can afford to put on their car, that is distinctive enough, and makes people look at your car. Purely a styling choice, I actually considered putting them on one of my cars "just to be different." That was the only reason... Imagine a Cavalier, a li'l red Fiero, or even an Astro van with spinners - if anything, it would give many a person a chuckle as I drove by.

I prolly wouldn't put them on a Solstice. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Somone is going to put these spinners on a Sol as sure as somone is going to lower one, put in hydraulics,under-car lights, NOX, etc. Mostly just for show. I would rather they confine it to Cobalts and Civics, but it is a free country. And if they pay their dues they can show up at the Sol/Sky owner rallies.

Good thing about these cars is there is absolutely no room for a bigA** woofer in the trunk!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Choices

I am in the "You pays your money, you makes your choices" department. But, since asked my opinion... No, there is no way I would put these on my car, the expense alone for something I won't 'enjoy' is just not a good investment. I would rather spend the money on getting a "better" top, or hard top for the car, or deposit on supercharger! :cool:

I do also find them mezmerizing, but I also question their safety. I have discovered that my subconcious uses "wheels turning, car moving" logic to set of my "danger" alert at lights, stop signs, parking lots etc. SO, I find myself being falsely warned about a risk when it is just the spinner moving.
(I hope this makes sense when you read it.)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:
I would rather spend the money on getting a "better" top, or hard top for the car, or deposit on supercharger! :cool:
Those suggestions are the best place to put your money. Am really hoping someone gets a hardtop ready that'll work on the first year model.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Spinners might be fun for the younger buyers, But for me this car has nostalgia.

In time, I will bring this car back to it`s roots. The wide white walls of the 50s.

It might sound crazy to most of you. But a red solstice, with the wide white walls would really turn heads alot more then a passing fad. The car screams for wide whites. I might even change the rag top to white, to compliment the white walls.

Sounds crazy, But this car has nostalgia written all over it. Mitch

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
This post is a joke right?

Spinners are totally on their way out. Anyone who puts them on a Solstice is completely out of touch with reality. Adding Spinners to a Solstice would be like adding curb feelers and 10" 100 spokes yo! You could also add a Boomerang TV antenna to the trunk. Heck, why stop there you might as well cover every interior surface in crushed velvet! Don't forget the small diameter chain steering wheel too! Just go to your local discount auto parts store and pick up the plastic wheel covers that already come with spinners, then you'll save some cash!

Spinners aren't even popular with the same people who brought them out a couple years ago!

·
5,600 Posts
With renewed emphasis on cordiality and tolerance to those who would modify their Solstice in a myriad of ways I would not - I will keep my mouth diplomatically shut. :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
MITCH said:
It might sound crazy to most of you. But a red solstice, with the wide white walls would really turn heads a lot more then a passing fad. The car screams for wide whites. I might even change the rag top to white, to compliment the white walls.
That does sound crazy. If you were going for a retro look, some knock off/ wire wheels could be cool. Please, no white walls! It's not a '58 Corvette or a 50's hot rod!

The Solstice is more like a classic Alfa Romeo/Jaguar/Ferrari and those Euro cars never had white walls!

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
No spinners for me or wide white walls either. I like the basic perameters of the cars as it is for my taste. I really would like to see a red Sol with a white top, wide white walls, wire wheels and knock offs. It think it would be great, just not my initial taste. If you get you Sol and do the make over, please post a pic, or if someone can photo crop it, that would also be great.

·
Registered
767 Posts
MITCH said:
Spinners might be fun for the younger buyers, But for me this car has nostalgia.

In time, I will bring this car back to it`s roots. The wide white walls of the 50s.

It might sound crazy to most of you. But a red solstice, with the wide white walls would really turn heads alot more then a passing fad. The car screams for wide whites. I might even change the rag top to white, to compliment the white walls.

With the 45 series tires, the wide white wall would have to go all the way to the tread. Not much sidewall there.
:cool:

·
Registered
299 Posts
ANyone ever check out the blackwalls on police cruisers. They just give a nice glossy black paint job the the black rims, and put these little 7-8" chrome cabs over the bolts. I think that always looked real sharp.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Not for me... I think that those things are quite ugly. Although, they do cause me to stop thinking and just stare whenever I see them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Have we seen this before?
They look stupid and cheap. Now you can get spinner hub caps with lights on them from Pep Boys :rolleyes:
ALL spinners make ANY car look like the owner shops at Pep Boys for after market parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Classic is key

bradyb said:
That does sound crazy. If you were going for a retro look, some knock off/ wire wheels could be cool. Please, no white walls! It's not a '58 Corvette or a 50's hot rod!

The Solstice is more like a classic Alfa Romeo/Jaguar/Ferrari and those Euro cars never had white walls!
Yes, what makes this car appealing is its CLASSIC looks. Simple, refined, polished, athletic yet elegant. These are all words that describe the Solstice. Spinners simply complicate the look. It would be like putting ketchup on a cut of filet mignon. Wearing bowling shoes with a tuxedo. Somethings just don't need accessories to get attention. They get attention just for their simplicity. My advice is to enjoy the Solstice it for what it is. If you need to add something to the car to make it look better, I'm not sure why you wanted this car in the first place? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Soulstice said:
... It would be like putting ketchup on a cut of filet mignon...
I've done that! Don't knock it 'til ya try it :thumbs:
Soulstice said:
... Wearing bowling shoes with a tuxedo. ...
Haven't done that.....
...but...
... do canvas slipon shoes count? (Think Miami Vice, with a light lavender tux :lol: )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts