Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on painting my hood this weekend, assuming sanding and re-primer'ing doesn't take forever.

I was thinking of doing some white racing strips on the hood. Any thoughts? Or, I could just do the area in front of the ram air scoops in a different color. (May as well have fun with it.)

I usually don't take polls for this kind of thing but, hey, it's a party.

And, yes, I'm going to take care of the front end while I'm at it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
I took the stripes off of mine. That said, its your car, and that means that there is only one (well, maybe two ...) opinion that matters.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Depends on your objective. If you want the scoops to stand out more than stripe them. If you want the stripes to be subtle paint them a complementary color. For example if you have a black car you could paint a flat or semi black stripe. But if you want them to really stand out then go for a contrasting color, but even bright colors can be painted, gloss, semi-gloss, or flat. Another option is to use vinyl, that way if you don't like them it's easy to remove.

If it was my decision I'd paint the hood, then wait a year and decide if I wanted to add stripes. Because even if you decide to just paint the hood those scoops are still going to stand out all by themselves.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
That's all ready a pretty "loud" hood and it looks like maybe your car has that blacked out look, I wouldn't stripe it. If you do stripe it I would take Chop's suggestion and make the stripes a matte black. That would probably look pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've decided to do the stripes in either matte black or matte Ming blue.

I got try my hand at painting for the first time over the weekend. I need to go back and fix a couple of chips and some gouges from the edge of a sanding block, put a few more coats on. At the moment it's the nicest looking part of the car, which means I'm going to repaint the whole car later on.

Lots of fun! My next attempt will be much better. Still, this is SO much better than the primer gray.

Wrapping up the car...

More wrapping.

Current state: (No clear coat - need to fix some stuff first!) This is just after a 120 mile drive. I realize it really needs a wash. Don't judge me. :)

Word to the wise: when wrapping up your car, leave it neutral without the parking brake set. It's a pain to have to rip off the plastic to get into the car just to push it forward a few feet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Depends on your objective. If you want the scoops to stand out more than stripe them. If you want the stripes to be subtle paint them a complementary color. For example if you have a black car you could paint a flat or semi black stripe. But if you want them to really stand out then go for a contrasting color, but even bright colors can be painted, gloss, semi-gloss, or flat. Another option is to use vinyl, that way if you don't like them it's easy to remove.

If it was my decision I'd paint the hood, then wait a year and decide if I wanted to add stripes. Because even if you decide to just paint the hood those scoops are still going to stand out all by themselves.
Agree 100%. It's easy to go back and stripe it later, even if it's already been clear-coated. I think it looks great in primer, so it'll probably be great in body color only.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I had Yipes Stripes put vinyl stripes on my car about three years ago. Holding up very well. If I ever decide to have the car painted (which it needs!), I will have the the stripes painted on at that time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning on painting my hood this weekend, assuming sanding and re-primer'ing doesn't take forever.

I was thinking of doing some white racing strips on the hood. Any thoughts? Or, I could just do the area in front of the ram air scoops in a different color. (May as well have fun with it.)

I usually don't take polls for this kind of thing but, hey, it's a party.

And, yes, I'm going to take care of the front end while I'm at it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used to install auto graphics for a living, back in the day when cars 'needed' stripes. IMO the Solstice is such a beauty that stripes really can't improve the appearance. But as ChopTop said, use vinyl so you can remove them if you ever want to. They 'perform' better than paint too. Get them done by a local installer. They are easy to make. Besides some possible paint fading over time you have nothing to lose. Personally I would spend the dough on a woodgrain dash kit. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts