Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considered wanting a new car for a while, but whatever I get needs to be a significant enough performance upgrade to justify going from having no car payment to having a $400-$500 note for 5 years. I always liked the solstice coupe, but the performance isn't there. I can mod it to 375rwhp or mor. 25k is what I think it costs for the base conversion, but it needs A/C from the factory...an option I think possible. If I go with the engine swap will be hard to sell it in a few years... Prices on these cars are falling like rocks. With the economy and bad reviews on them it's no suprise. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,862 Posts
Just to be clear you have an NA coupe as a starting point for the above discussion?

If so, please allow me to be the first on this thread to repeat the mantra on this forum, it is often cheaper to sell the NA and buy the GXP than to upgrade the NA.

the math has been done by many before..

the GXP will take to performance upgrades better and at less cost and starts out 100hp ahead of the game stock…

however if you love to wrench and love Your current car, why not?

And as far as negative reviews I say “peeshaw” to them!

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
382 Posts
T
I am seriously considered wanting a new car for a while, but whatever I get needs to be a significant enough performance upgrade to justify going from having no car payment to having a $400-$500 note for 5 years. I always liked the solstice coupe, but the performance isn't there. I can mod it to 375rwhp or mor. 25k is what I think it costs for the base conversion, but it needs A/C from the factory...an option I think possible. If I go with the engine swap will be hard to sell it in a few years... Prices on these cars are falling like rocks. With the economy and bad reviews on them it's no suprise. What do you guys think?
The GXP with the GMPP tune in performance mode hits -290- hp; to me, it’s not worth an additional $25k to add -more- HP.

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
The GXP with the GMPP tune in performance mode hits 360 hp; to me, it’s not worth an additional $25k to add 15 HP.
At some point he posted a desire for "V8 sound", so it isn't all about power.

·
Premium Member
17,550 Posts
I am trying to understand what you are asking. There are several different areas in your post.

The least expensive route to higher HP is probably adding a turbo kit to your current 2.4 car. Performance AutoWerks and several other shops will do the work for you or sell you a kit. You can get to much higher power levels with minimal impact on the current drivetrain.

I do not see the prices of used cars falling like a rock. I just sold my 3-year-old Tacoma for several thousand MORE than I paid for it at full dealer price. It made me money. All "summer cars" like the Solstice, BMW convertibles etc tend to see values drop in the winter and raise again in the spring.

I also dont understand your comment about factory AC. If your car has AC, then adding a turbo will not delete the AC. If you don't have AC, then you have a challenge. I know of one forum member who successfully added AC to a car that came without that option from the factory. It is possible to add but not easy or cheap.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
T

The GXP with the GMPP tune in performance mode hits 360 hp; to me, it’s not worth an additional $25k to add 15 HP.
Uh..no. The GMPP tune gives the GXP exactly 290 bhp and 340 tq.

·
Premium Member
17,550 Posts
T

It depends. A LS1 conversion can come in at 360, and LS2 can come in at 400 hp, mine is an LS3 480 and dyno'd at 460 at the wheels. Those who threw a super charger on the same conversion came in at 650 HP give or take.

But I dont recommend that anyone put 25k into a 15 year old car if they want to avoide the cost of a new vehicle. :)

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
382 Posts
Uh..no. The GMPP tune gives the GXP exactly 290 bhp and 290 tq.
I sit corrected. Not enough caffeine, I guess. 🤔

·
Registered
653 Posts
GMPP tune had 340 ft-lbs with the manual trans, 325 ft-lbs on the automatics.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I stand corrected - for the incorrect torque number I posted! Thanks Phil. :oops:

·
Registered
675 Posts
... Prices on these cars are falling like rocks. With the economy and bad reviews on them it's no suprise. What do you guys think?
If these prices are falling like rocks then so are every other cars out there. And we all know used car prices have been on a steady rise lately. Perhaps searching out a junkyard car with salvaged title would serve as a good base. From all indicators at BaT, Mecum and various sites, Kappas seem to have above average used prices.

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
233 Posts
To the OP:
Sure you could put a turbo on the 2.4. It'll be peppier than you have now.
Getting a 2.0 turbo GXP/Redline is better power, but it's still got turbo lag.

You could do a V8 conversion - if you can/want to do it yourself, it will be less than $25k, but a lot of time and knowledge, seems a few people on KappaSwap facebook group have been laboring on a conversion for over a year, and the electronics can be challenging. But Performance Auto Werks sells everything you need, maybe the electronics aren't so hard. "AdamLZ" swapped his mom's on a video, seemed like not too many problems (if the problems weren't edited out).
Turnkey from PAW is $25k+, and round up.

If you don't have that kind of dime to drop on your car, sure you wouldn't like a gently used Corvette C5? Their prices are reasonable, or at least maybe you can find one at ~25k, and the bank will finance it happily. And you could sell it without a dramatic loss. IDK what V8 Kappas sell for, there are so few of them, but I assume you won't get the money out that you put in. No car mod ever does.

Financially I'd say if you don't have $25k to spend on a car conversion in cash now, don't do it. There are better mods or cheaper cars. Don't finance an engine swap. It's probably money better spent on your house, or heck take family on a nice vacation.

Reactions: Hurricane87

·
Registered
592 Posts
If I go with the engine swap will be hard to sell it in a few years...What do you guys think?
An engine swap on a Solstice COUPE? A car that they only made 1,266 of? It will be IMPOSSIBLE to sell if you butcher a Coupe. If you have the need to tear up a car for your whimsy, then grab a cheap Solstice convertible. 64,000+ of those were manufactured, and no one will care... but don't butcher a Coupe.

·
Registered
2009 GXP Coupe.
20 Posts
Are you kidding? A solstice coupe with a V8 would be the ultimate cool. I'd drive it. I'd own it. I have a coupe now, and if I had the money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd V8 it in a New York minute!

Reactions: marksbug

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are you kidding? A solstice coupe with a V8 would be the ultimate cool. I'd drive it. I'd own it. I have a coupe now, and if I had the money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd V8 it in a New York minute!
I was going to say the same, it would sell like hotcakes.

·
Premium Member
17,550 Posts
There are several V8 coups around. They were converted by Werks and Wades. I dont know if DDM did any coups or not.
Its a car not an investment. Swapping out the drivetrain is not "chopping up" a car. It does typically narrow the field of potential buyers but if done well can be a nice improvement.

Besides, I dont know very many people who make their decisions based on the next owner. Its all about me. LOL

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,862 Posts
There are several V8 coups around. They were converted by Werks and Wades. I dont know if DDM did any coups or not.
Its a car not an investment. Swapping out the drivetrain is not "chopping up" a car. It does typically narrow the field of potential buyers but if done well can be a nice improvement.

Besides, I dont know very many people who make their decisions based on the next owner. Its all about me. LOL
You only live once and if ya got the cash and want a V8 solstice in your life, I say do what makes ya happy!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Still my favorite V8 coupe. Maybe it's the pic angle, or color, or wheels, or stance, or a combo of everything, but whatever it is it just says Hot Rod to me. Built by PAW when coupes were still relatively new. Pontiac Solstice GXP - The Werks
View attachment 117979
That breaks my heart. It is where the 2011 Solstice would have ended up. A V8 was in its DNA and they would be everywhere had Pontiac been able to play the long game.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts