Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fooling with the wastegate on the motor trying to get more PSI and it would only got to 23PSI and then start skipping. Prior to me fooling with it the motor would hold 22PSI and was absolutely flying. I knew the skipping was not good so I tried to back off the wastgate nuts and they got locked or twistwed threads. I took it out again to see if I was below the 23PSI and it missfired and I'm not sure if the head gasket blew or a ring broke. I'm leaning towards the head gasket theory because there was oil all over the place and no visible cracks or holes in the block. It smoked the highway up like a bug fogger.
Tomorrow I will start to dismantel to discover what happened. I will keep you all posted. This is number 5 and really, the darn thing was flying and I should of left the higher PSI to BTF when he was going to dyno it in a week or two.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tunner knows his stuff, the engine builder is me and your motor wouldn"t hold up under my driving either. I really push them past their potential. I think if my aeroforce gauge was not in for repair I may of realized how much strain I was putting on the engine and backed off.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is interesting to read

·
Registered
702 Posts
This is number 5 and really, the darn thing was flying and I should of left the higher PSI to BTF when he was going to dyno it in a week or two.
FIVE motors???

It seems like it might be time to settle for just a bit less "performance" and spend more time driving and less time in the shop -- or just sell the Kappa and buy a different car with a big block V-8.

Just my :jm2c:

·
Registered
167 Posts
sounds to me like you should just sell it and buy a bicycle.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The tunner knows his stuff, the engine builder is me and your motor wouldn"t hold up under my driving either. I really push them past their potential. I think if my aeroforce gauge was not in for repair I may of realized how much strain I was putting on the engine and backed off.
Then you should probably learn how to USE a motor instead of ABUSING a motor.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i could toast 5 motors also... get up to 100mph in 5th and dump it in to 1stand hold down the gas while doing so that would do the job, im sure no ones motor could hold up to that, i think ill agree with everyone here and say that you should tone it down just a bit, whats the point of having a car if its on a flatbed all the time? :dunno: :jm2c:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that little motor is amazing, the amount of power it puts out however it is very fragil too, especially at its top end. I think I had it just about where I wanted it and if the nuts on the waste gate hadn't of bound up so I could of backed them off she may of been still running. I just enjoy running the car in the 1/4 mile and once in a while top end on a very straight road. I have that V8 mental however I am determined to make this little bugger operate like one. Will keep you posted. Today I plan on opening it up to inspect the damage. Also, guys at 66 my driving habits are not going to chang and I do enjoy the engine building too!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ya I agree with normsf, I'm not sure why all the negative responses, it's not what I would do or even could do financially, but if it's what he likes doing and can obviously afford it(or maybe he can't but who cares) then all the power to him. this is the type of guy that opens doors for the rest of us by comming up with a way to get that little extra out of these motors, cause maybe one day he'll get it right, even if it takes him ten motors, lol.
Bert

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yes, Jonesy already have multiple destroyed LNF engines.

the last block that he toasted was actually my stock block. He installed aftermarket pistons/rods/etc.....afterwards.

Jonesy is one of the guys who is not afraid to push the limit of the engine.

He is retired, and financially stable.

He doesn't spend too much on the builds since he's the one pulling it out....and building it back up.

He knows how to put back the LNF engine inside and out.....blind folded.....

I just told him last week.....to learn how to use HPTuner so he can do some logs, to avoid more destroyed engines.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it did blow a head gasket. I was glad that was all it did. I will try to get a photo of the damage on the site tomorrow. I found out the turbo waste gate rod twisted and that is why I couldn't back the bolt off. That is not an excuse, it was dumb of me to take the engine back out and run it hard once I found out the waste gate rod wasn't backed off far enough to prevent the skipping.
I should of just taken the turbo off and repaired the rod for the waste gate. I should be able to fix it even though it twisted the last inch or so of it off. There was pleanty of thread left to get back to the 23 PSI point where the engine was really running well. I just do not understand why I cannot get that stage 11 BNR turbo to put out 25 to 27 PSI. There must be a problem with the waste gate, last year I held 25 PSI all the time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Interesting, would like to see some photos.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are the photos, the gasket really blew all to heck. The cylinder, rings and piston seem to look fine. I should have it running soon. I had to cut the waste gate rod and straighten out the threads I remembered where to set it for 22 PSI so all should be fine, crossing my fingers that there is no unseen damage.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
Here's jonesy's photos, I think he's forgotten how to post:

Here are the photos, the gasket really blew all to heck. The cylinder, rings and piston seem to look fine. I should have it running soon. I had to cut the waste gate rod and straighten out the threads I remembered where to set it for 22 PSI so all should be fine, crossing my fingers that there is no unseen damage.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are the photos, the head gasket blew into the rear water jacket after the # 4 piston cylinder and the # 3 & 4 cylinders are just fine. It looks like the pistons and the rings are fine too. I should have this thing up and running in a couiple of days. I had to cut about an inch off the waste gate rod as I mentioned eariler so everything should be good. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
John, im glad that its just your head gasket........and your internals are still good.

I'll text you something about the head gasket.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They appear to be fine, I will do some more inspecting today and get the parts overnighted. I also found a piece of the plastic timeing chain guide broke off, I'm glade I decided to pull the cover and do a complete reset if the timeing.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.