Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Miata and will trade it for a Solstice. It has the places to put the studs for a tonneau already marked. A tonneau is available from several sources including Mazda.

Tonneaus are great as one does not have to put the top up when leaving the car and it helps keep the car cool when left in the sun.

I hope a tonneau is available for the Solstice.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm sure someone will make one. They are reletively easy to manufacture and install, so it won't be hard to provide them for small or great numbers of Sosltice drivers that want them.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I too would expect some aftermarket company to come up with one, especially if GM does not.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Tonneau Cover availability

I am going to want a tonneau cover for my Sol. It will have leather seating and I do not want to put up the top every time I park the car. Any suggestions as to a good source for a custom ton cover that would sort of match the tan leather setup?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
AZJuez said:
I am going to want a tonneau cover for my Sol. It will have leather seating and I do not want to put up the top every time I park the car. Any suggestions as to a good source for a custom ton cover that would sort of match the tan leather setup?
I'm sure almost any generak one-size-fits all cover will work, but I thought about getting covers that I could put over the seats when I leave the top down in sun. Heck, they might even fit in the carvernous trunk!

·
Registered
189 Posts
AZJuez said:
For those of us not familiar to the world of convertibles( but eagerly awaiting to enter it) What exactly is a tonneau cover? sounds convenient

·
5,600 Posts
DLD84 said:
For those of us not familiar to the world of convertibles( but eagerly awaiting to enter it) What exactly is a tonneau cover? sounds convenient
Tonneau covers used to be a leather or vinyl piece that snaps around the cockpit of the car to protect the interior when the top is down. Unlike a car cover which drapes over the entire car, a tonneau protects only the interior and leaves the exterior exposed.

I agree, AZ. I too want a tonneau cover for the Sol. I really wish they thought about including one for the solstice, but I think they are obsolete. The tonneau made much more sense when tops took forever to raise and lower. Today's convertible tops all raise and lower much faster than a tonneau can be installed. So why bother with a piece of vinyl you have to tote around and which takes more time to install than just putting up the top.

·
Registered
767 Posts
jimbo said:
Tonneau covers used to be a leather or vinyl piece that snaps around the cockpit of the car to protect the interior when the top is down. Unlike a car cover which drapes over the entire car, a tonneau protects only the interior and leaves the exterior exposed.

So why bother with a piece of vinyl you have to tote around and which takes more time to install than just putting up the top.
A tonneau cover comes in handy on a cool morning when you want the wind in your hair, but want some warmth for the lower part of your body. I can remember many times driving my MGB with the passenger side snapped on and the driver 1/2 unzipped. It took a lot less time to zip the center and snap the driver's side than mess with the manual top. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jimmy O, that's so true! I'm still driving my MGB with the tonneau when needed, but I'm ready to make the move to the Sol ASAP!

·
Registered
64 Posts
So would the passenger have to hold it in her lap while driving in the Sol?!?!?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Tonneau cover has snaps on it that hold it in place snuggly around the cab of the car, and it has a sipper running down the middle from back to front, so you can have just half it up at a time, like JimmO talked about, above. They also make so when you are driving around solo on a hot sunny day, you can still have the top down and keep the sun off the passenger seat. The open part generally tucks in behind the drivers seat when no in position. They are very handy and all of us who are lucky on the 15th of April should consider buying one. Good luck to all . . I want my tonneau to to be heavy tan vynl to go with my leather seats.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

Tonneau cover (with divers side unzipped). Not sure if they could make a proper tonneau for the Solstice because of the rear humps and because part of a tonneau is the boot cover which a Solstice doesn't need.

I much prefer a cockpit cover for the summer. Like this

When it's 90+ degrees out and the sun is beating on a black roof and dark interior everything will get very VERY hot. A cockpit cover keeps the interior nice and cool. Rolls up small and easy to stow. Probably takes me about 2-3 minutes to put it on the car by myself.

The one in the photo (not my car) is made by Covercraft and sells for about $50.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ah yes I have seen those before, Id probably just skip it. Though that cockpit cover might be useful, Im more worried about the rag-top wearing out. Its either that or a full car cover for me

·
Registered
18 Posts
jimmyo said:
A tonneau cover comes in handy on a cool morning when you want the wind in your hair, but want some warmth for the lower part of your body. I can remember many times driving my MGB with the passenger side snapped on and the driver 1/2 unzipped. It took a lot less time to zip the center and snap the driver's side than mess with the manual top. :cool:
Very true, jimmyo. I had tonneaus with both my "B"s. Properly designed and executed they are attractive, useful, and convenient. IMHO, if you're going to drive a roadster you have to have a tonneau. The only question is who's going to make one for the Sol

·
Registered
285 Posts
jimbo said:

I agree, AZ. I too want a tonneau cover for the Sol. I really wish they thought about including one for the solstice, but I think they are obsolete. The tonneau made much more sense when tops took forever to raise and lower. Today's convertible tops all raise and lower much faster than a tonneau can be installed. So why bother with a piece of vinyl you have to tote around and which takes more time to install than just putting up the top.
:agree:

While the tonneau has other pratical applications as discussed in this thread, the top goes up and down VERY FAST! Even if you only have 12 or so snaps to secure the tonneau the top will already be up or down.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Tonneau with center zip is GREAT

LBJay said:

Tonneau cover (with divers side unzipped). Not sure if they could make a proper tonneau for the Solstice because of the rear humps and because part of a tonneau is the boot cover which a Solstice doesn't need.
:agree: :agree:

I had a tonneau for my MG Midget and it was great, undo about four snaps, unzip the center, drop it down behind the seat on the driver's side and you're good to go.

Great even in cooler weather, with the heater on and the heat blowing up around you, definitely extends the top down experience for the driver at least.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just 'googled' Solstice tonneau and...

got some interesting links to stories I had not read before. Anyhow, if anyone attending these Solstice gatherings in Ohio or wherever in the next few weeks... how about asking about the availibility of the tonneau covers and if they may be a dealer option. Me thinks it would be a nice addition where I live... thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
According to the Oregon press event stuff Oregon Solstice went to the tonneau will be available right away as a GM official addon. Which usually means you can get it through a dealership along with all the other items available.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Sure would be nice to have the Prices and Part Numbers for the Tonneau, Mud flaps, and the Luggage Rack.

Has anyone be able to lay their eyes on the Luggage rack?

Just wondering what the finish is, might want to powder coat it to better match the car.

Steve

:willy:

1 - 20 of 215 Posts