1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Congratulations Tony! A lot of folks should see this because it's being featured on Road&Track. Plus this is the kind of exposure that should get people's attention for considering a Kappa as a project car (almost 35,000 views). Though I'd rather the host be Matt Farah.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The video was okay. But other than him saying "Wow this thing is fast" they needed something to give perspective to the acceleration.

That said, cool ride. I want one.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Pwerks built this one.

Guess that's all I got to say about that.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,234 Posts
Pwerks built this one.

no issues.

yet Robert Ashby complains all the time.
Well you can fool some of the people all the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you will never fool all of the people all of the time.

What it boils down to is that every buyer has their own set of expectations, and they are different than the other buyer's expectations for the same product. I suspect that Robert Ashby is a very particular type of individual who has very, very high expectations for the products he buys.

Robert's conversion had a few features that were/are a bit different that the other conversions that PAW has done, and no two conversions are identical anyways.

Tony has dealt with a few hi performance conversions, and has a very realistic expectation of what he is going to find acceptable.

So I'm not picking on Dave Gilbert, I'm not picking on Robert Ashby, nor Tony. I'm just trying to formulate a realistic view of two different conversions for two very different customers.

Nuff said!

Have a fantastic rest of the day., everyone!

:dthumbs:

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
Lets not turn a nice thread into a debate on conversions or events that are well documented elsewhere.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
The video was okay. But other than him saying "Wow this thing is fast" they needed something to give perspective to the acceleration.
I would agree with that, although he does say its beating z06s.

if I had the cash, I would be tempted. being able to roll up to about any car and blow it away and the stuck to the seat feeling is always great but I'd keep it to look like the off the line solstice as much as possible. one of the reasons I bought the solstice is the design which one of the best GM put out in the past 20 years.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Great looking car, I love red and black together. A good driver makes thing look smoother. In honesty, the video did not give much of an idea of how fast it is, but I would think that is very hard to do. Also the quality of the camera makes a difference. Thanks for posting the video Chop.

I have one that is supposedly 100HP less. For gawd's sake it is fast enough! Being able to drive and control so much horsepower is a skill, being such a short wheel base car, power is more noticeable I think.

Congratulations on getting the car you wanted Tony, thanks Dave for providing it. Getting these things right is a very difficult job for most. Our vendors on this board seem to be able to figure it out. I know Dave at DDM, made mine so much more drivable and fun to drive it was amazing.

Thanks for sharing the information on this fantastic build, just sorry I was so late to the party!

·
Registered
590 Posts
There is a certain amount of power that the Kappa can effectively put to the pavement and anything beyond that is purely bragging rights. That and a gigantic smile for the driver as to some of us, burning rubber is fun, as is drifting. The solstice and Sky did do very well in Formula D for a couple of years.

It seems like no matter what the HP, most Kappa's can't break into the 11 second 1/4 mile time. Adding tires specific to drag racing has resulted in snapping axles or breaking the rear diff.

Only thing that really matters is if the owner is happy. It's their money and their vehicle.

·
Premium Member
10,305 Posts
Well said Elff, but I wood add the best part of our car is the driving experience on a twisty road.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I have said this several times. I have a tuned Sky, that has all the braces, on and on, and then I have this monster Mallett. I would take the Sky over the Mallett every single time as to driving. Now sound, that is a different story. The Mallett sounds like a real car. The Redline not so much even with the HF cat and Magnaflow exhaust, it still sounds like a sewing machine compared to the Mallett. But I have the Sky to drive, the Mallett to park and listen to. That is about all that will happen to it from now on.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
There is a certain amount of power that the Kappa can effectively put to the pavement and anything beyond that is purely bragging rights. .
Yup - unless you tub it and stick ginormous rubber under there it is going to be hard to hook up properly. Had that problem 20 years ago with sticking Ford V8s into Miatas - wasn't as blindingly fast as they had hoped because the wheels would just spin at just about any speed - no room for enough rubber under there.

Easy cars to get into trouble with, as a little too much throttle in the wrong place gets you sliding. Still, lots of fun in a large paved area without hard objects....

You can get the same effect with a stock NA by fitting old hard narrow rubber, but the sound track wouldn't measure up!

Always enjoyed the Hot Rod magazine conversion using an LS7 - they also went on a real diet program and that car got into the 10s in the 1/4 - just.

·
Super Moderator
15,988 Posts
LOL

I beg to differ.

The driver controls the car, not the other way around. You can get as much or as little torque as you want by modulating the little pedal on the right. The difference is somewhere between 50 and 100 pounds depending on who you believe and a significant increase in the ability to accelerate the car. As long as you drive within the limits of the system, you can enjoy that added performance. Or if you lack skills or just have brain fade, you can go beyond the limits of the car. To say don't give me the option of having more power just seems . .. anti social LOLOLOLOL

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Rob, there is a limit to how fast the adhesion limit of a given tire will allow you to accelerate. After that, you won't get any more performance without improving traction. We found that after a certain point, the Miatas just sent the tires up in smoke and you could literally have doubled the power with out receiving significant improvement in acceleration in return (plus the added power would make the car snaky unless you had an educated right foot, something many seem to lack).

You'd know far better than I where the performance limit is on a given Solstice tire.

The current Z07 runs 335x25-20 tires. Wonder if you could get those under there somehow? What size are you running?

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Rob, there is a limit to how fast the adhesion limit of a given tire will allow you to accelerate. After that, you won't get any more performance without improving traction. We found that after a certain point, the Miatas just sent the tires up in smoke and you could literally have doubled the power with out receiving significant improvement in acceleration in return (plus the added power would make the car snaky unless you had an educated right foot, something many seem to lack).

You'd know far better than I where the performance limit is on a given Solstice tire.

The current Z07 runs 335x25-20 tires. Wonder if you could get those under there somehow? What size are you running?
:agree: You can have all the horsepower you want but if you can't put it on the ground all you are going to do is smoke the tires and this is a common problem with a short wheelbase car like a Solstice .A few years ago I was bench racing with some friends and popped up the idea of building a pro street Solstice ,we did a little research and the biggest factor was putting in a narrowed rear end and having to fabricate a fuel cell and all the accommodations for such a conversion .In the end the short wheelbase became the limiting factor as we toyed with the idea of a 5 to 6 hundred horsepower LS engine we could have a lot more tire on the ground but it would not compensate for the wheelbase . To add my circle of friends included a couple of rod builders ,a guy who has owned a few pro street cars and a friend who used to race in the pro mod class at the strip

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
The Solstice has a wheelbase of 95"

One of my old race cars, a 1963 TVR Grantura, had a wheelbase of 85.5".
I ran it with a bored out 1950 cc 4 cylinder and it was a handful - imagine how they handled with the Ford 289 up front.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
We people that used to ride motorcycles a lot in the past had the same type of problems. There was a time before electronics on sportbikes where we could get close to 200 hp on a one liter bike. Try to get that to hook up without putting yourself on you head.:willy: Electronics on a bike really helps with that problem but they can still get real scary real easy. In almost every case I actually preferred a 600 to a liter bike because it was just so much easier to ride that in most cases you were just faster on them. Now granted, a highly skilled, professional rider is probably going to be faster on that liter bike but most of us (probably 99%) just can't ride like that. I've never driven a Solstice with 500+ horsepower but my guess is that somewhere around that hp mark it starts to get much like the problem with the 600/1000 bikes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts