Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
You guys probably aren't old enough to remember this, but the Kawasaki 500 Mach III had a 1/4 mile time of a tuned Solstice amd left untold numbers of riders plastered over the landscape with only 60 bhp.

Modern super bikes are just nucking futs in comparison. Funny how standards change....

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Bill remember when Kawasaki came out with the 750 two stroke and people were flopping them over backwards at an alarming rate. I think they were the end of the Kawasaki 2 stroke era for street bikes. I know blew a 427 apart trying to beat one in Omaha right after they hit the streets. If you could ride, they were ungodly on the street back then.

Here is a short ride along, it begins at about the 1.19 point of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1weWqDdqBZ0

I mentioned skill of driving one of these high horsepower cars, and no way did I intend to insinuate that I had it. For me, that much horsepower is useless in the car. It looks neat, sounds kool, but beyond that a real driver with a 2.0 on a real twisty road course would kill it I think. Just too uncontrollable. Now mine does not have traction control and that maybe the major factor between some of the newer ones. Not sure. For me it is a toy, with a very sharp point. Not to be played with unless you have the ability to. I don't, I know it and readily admit it.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Not to belabor the point, but current bone-stock liter bikes are deep into the 9's with 600's about a second or so slower in the quarter. So yea, like Bill said "Modern super bikes are just nucking futs..." Something tells me a 600 - 700 hp solstice would be similarly hard to control. Anyone wants to lend me one for an afternoon though, I'll give it a try. >:)

·
Super Moderator
15,937 Posts
All I know is I can accelerate very quickly without flaming the tires. Maybe it's my skill. :)

It's much quicker than it was as a 2.0.

Yes I can spin the tires but not with the TC and stability control on. Even with it off I have no difficulty driving quickly with the current tires. Modern radials are very sticky

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
All I know is I can accelerate very quickly without flaming the tires. Maybe it's my skill. :)

Yes I can spin the tires but not with the TC and stability control on. Even with it off I have no difficulty driving quickly with the current tires. Modern radials are very sticky
Wonder what they are like with big V8 power and no TC or stability? Didn't both of those come in after the first year? The thread on a Mallett is a conversion on a 2006....

Yeah, bikes are simply unbelievably crazy now. I'm actually glad that I made a pact with my wife that if I gave up motorcycles she wouldn't complain about me road racing.

But it was heartening (as a car guy) to know that a car can still beat a super bike around a track -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygT4bGJkerk

They also did a BMW S1000RR vs Ariel Atom V8 contest that was fun, but no everyone has access to 500 bhp sports racing cars built to be street legal!

·
Super Moderator
15,937 Posts
I believe that all your statements about traction issues apply fully to cars without TC and stability control. Personally I would not enjoy trying to drive a car as light as ours and closely coupled without them.

We had one V8 car at the Nationals go out of control and end up in the medium from a stop turning left due to loss of traction. And a stuck shoe. It was a converted NA without all the above.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
You guys probably aren't old enough to remember this, but the Kawasaki 500 Mach III had a 1/4 mile time of a tuned Solstice amd left untold numbers of riders plastered over the landscape with only 60 bhp.

Hey Bill I'm old enough to remember the Mach III bought one new in 1971 after that a succession of Z1 900s the last being a tricked out cafe racer that I built God those bikes were fast for the time ! :crazy:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,192 Posts
Wonder what they are like with big V8 power and no TC or stability? Didn't both of those come in after the first year? The thread on a Mallett is a conversion on a 2006....
TC and Electronic Stability Control were not available on 2.4 NA Solstices during model years 2006 and 2007. They were optional in 2008. They were standard in 2009.

Both were standard in all years for the GXPs.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I think that is the main reason I don't like driving mine. It was like a light switch, then CBM detuned it to redline at 5200. Dave worked on it at the National, brought the redline back to 7200, and made it a world better. I have driven it more now after DDM worked on it. It seems far more controllable now. Still way over the top for the average daily driver.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Isn't your car making 460HP?

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
21 - 31 of 31 Posts