Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Solstice owner and I've noticed it seems to take forever for the engine to idle down when shifting gears. I installed a lighter flywheel in my previously owned '73 Corvette and loved it but I'm not sure if a lighter flywheel would alleviate this in the Solstice or if it is the ECM controlling it. Is there any way to change this? It seems a shame to have a rev happy engine but have it take forever to idle down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only had my GXP for a couple of days, but I noticed the same thing. I thought for a second that the clutch was on the way out and was slipping, but after a few days, I've modified how I drive it and don't notice any issues shifting between gears. It will definitely take some more getting used to as I just came from a free-revving Cayman, but I'm sure I'll adjust. Rev matching in particular seems to be tricky, but I'm sure that will come with time as well.

Long story short, drive it some more! I'm sure one of the tunes available could help out with it as well. I'm following this thread as I'll want to add a tune sooner or later.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,118 Posts
The ECM does slow the closing of the throttle to minimize emissions from the car. I am sure the OE flywheel weight also plays a roll in it as well. How much of one I do not know, I haven't had to replace my clutch at all. If and when I do I will purchase a light weight flywheel. When I had my Nissan s13 and I put a lightweight flywheel in there was one hell of a difference in how fast the RPMs dropped when letting off the accelerator. That car was not drive by wire so I wouldn't expect to see the same kind of drop off as the s13.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,118 Posts
When the Solstice was made that was when drive by wire was starting to be used more. Like most cars of that era that had drive by wire there is a horrid amount of lag in the accelerator in general. ECMs didn't have enough speed to sample the data fast enough and the smoothing buffer was to large so it would take up to 2 seconds before the engine would respond to accelerator changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts