Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Solstice fans, this past weekend I was invited to the El Toro Marine Air Base where Pontiac had a test drive track set up. It was a last minute invitation but my friend said there may be a Solstice available to test drive. I had not seen a Solstice on the road or at a dealer so I was skeptical that the event would have a Solstice. Well, they didn't have a Solstice, they had five! In the lobby of "The Drive Center", was a dark blue metal-flake Solstice highlighted by overhead blue accent lights. Leaving the registration building I was immediately greeted by a red Solstice basking in the So-Cal sunshine. Then, out on the track I spied one silver and two black Solstices.

Pontiac did it right! The wait in line was only about 15 minutes and you could fly solo, as many turns as you wanted, as fast as you wanted, as long as you kept it between the cones. There were two tracks set up, one long track (about a mile and a half) and a shorter one (about an eight of a mile) that measured your elapsed time. The longest straight allowed you to accelerate through third gear before slowing for an acute angle turn. Lots of twisties kept a smile on my face even though it was not a high speed track. Here is a link to the Pontiac Action Course:
http://www.thedrivecenter.com/BPG/drivingCourses.asp?flash=True&s={1C876CDA-7D7B-4BEB-A844-57CFFFEE52C7}

The event coordinators encouraged you to have fun and test the car's limits. I'm no race car driver, but by my third test drive I was feeling very confident in the corners, nearly drifting the rear as the tires sang their righteous song. The Solstice handled surprisingly well. Too bad I got in with my friend as she test drove the GTO. The Goat has acceleration that will push you back into your seat and have you thinking "Hold on tight". The Solstice's acceleration just kind of says "Cool ride!". That comparison left me wishing the Solstice had more hp, but overall the Solstice is a very fun car to drive.

I definitely want a Solstice! The styling is extraordinary and the ride is fun, quiet (not much wind buffeting), and comfortable. But, I'm going to wait for the next generation of high performance models to come to market before I decide which model to buy. Until then I'll stay tuned to this forum for updates.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I also am waiting. I'm avoiding a first year car, waiting for the turbo and
automatic, and probably leaning towards the Sky, although the rear
styling of the Solstice can't be beat.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
BONE said:
Pontiac did it right! The wait in line was only about 15 minutes and you could fly solo, as many turns as you wanted, as fast as you wanted
:cool: :cheers: :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
How did we NOT find out about this ahead of time from any sources??!

Way to go, BONE. :thumbs: We're all jealous!

Any idea which car (Solstice or GTO) people were clocking faster laps with? If there was a long straight, I suspect the GTO, but if there were several tight turns, I would expect the Solstice to turn in better lap times.

Oh yeah... welcome to the forums, BONE :cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2KWK4U said:
How did we NOT find out about this ahead of time from any sources??!

Any idea which car (Solstice or GTO) people were clocking faster laps with?

Oh yeah... welcome to the forums, BONE :cheers:
I'm on their marketing list now, I'll let you know when they bring the turbo Solstice to the track. :)

I turned a 13.6 in the Solstice. My friend turned a 14.4 in the GTO. I talked with one other driver who said he turned a 12.7 in the Solstice. Like you said, mostly quick turns.

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
deluke said:
The only thing GM did right !!!!!!

:willy: :willy: :willy:

GM turned this party over to a professional marketing company (The Drive Center) based out of Chicago. It was first class all the way. In the auditorium they had free gourmet catered food and a drive on stage to present the vehicles, car show style. Live cameras showed the car's interior onto big screen TVs. All the vehicles were accessable, with informed helpers to show you how to raise/lower the top, operate the OnStar, etc. Club race drivers talked you through the course (in the GTO). A drifting exhibition by a world class driver, in a modified GTO, provided just the right ambiance and brought the crowd to its feet. Let's hope this is a sign of more great things to come!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kingarthur said:
I also am waiting. I'm avoiding a first year car, waiting for the turbo and
automatic, and probably leaning towards the Sky, although the rear
styling of the Solstice can't be beat.
A turbo (or supercharged) with paddle shifters on the steering wheel would be purfect. I like the curved body panels of the Solstice more than the angular Sky, but I agree the front of the Solstice could use some modification. I would change the honeycomb plastic grill to a custom chrome grill. A chrome grill would compliment the chrome wheels very nicely.

Good luck with your future purchase.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Wait for Turbo ?

Sounds like an awesome event. I saw (and sat in) my first Solstice today. Two came in on seperate transports to my dealer today. He called me to take a look before the owners drove them off. My will be here in a couple of months.

I agree a super charged Solstice would be great, but I could never wait that long. I would just drop a Nitrous kit into mine if I feel a need for speed. LOL

I do not think an automatic is appropriate for this little roadster. It would be sacreligeous. :devil:
Sitting Duck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congratulations on your purchase and hats off to your dealer for giving you the heads up call!

Nitrous kit... now that sounds just Too Fast and Furious. LOL

I'm all for manual shifting when you want to keep the revs in the sweetest power range. However, a state of the art sportshifter/tiptronic/techtronic option might give you added convenience without losing your religion. :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Religion

My religion does not condone words like triptronic and techtronic. LOL :devil: :blueangel

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
orlando said:
My religion does not condone words like triptronic and techtronic. LOL :devil: :blueangel
:lol: Please forgive me, for I have sinned. My name is Bone, and I'm a tronicholic :grouphug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts