1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the track.

Pittsburgh International Race Complex

Well, good and bad things happened. .
The good first....The solstice loves corners.. If you clicked on the link you can see the track really isn't that big. 1.7 miles. . The front straight is the longest and top speed was about 105mph

The only mod I've done to the car is a GMPP tune.
The stock brakes held up great. We did three, 25 minute runs and the brakes didn't fade at all. The instructor in the car with me was very impressed with the stock brakes.

The bad..

1. The auto is NOT made for the track. I had huge issues. One being that the car wouldn't shift out of 3rd gear on a up hill right turn sweeper. I would get to the top where the road is straight and it just wouldn't shift. (Corner 10-11 on the north track.) I had to let off the throttle, reapply and that didn't work 100% of the time.

2. Over heating. The third time out I had to pull off the track before the 25m was over. I hit 255* and the temp light came on the dash. Yes, I made sure I was full on fluid before I went to the track.

3. As all of you know the stock tires suck. . 3rd time out on and I was suffering with slick tires. The instructor confirmed this also. He even said it would be a lot better with wider tires.

With all the hardships of the auto and temp, I still had a great time! I do have a some video I'll try and get up soon. :thumbs:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sound like fun!! So your saying if I showed up with some sticky 19x10s a 5speed and a bigger radiator and inter cooler I'd be fine? :cool:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True... as much as I love the coupe, I can't justify buying a manual for a track car... they are just to rare.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Yes, unfortunately the automatics aren't very useful for track racing. I wouldn't have bought an automatic sports car, but that's just me - I understand a lot of people like them.

Interesting about the overheating - wonder why? You'd think with the fan going all the time you'd be able to keep it under control. What RPM were you using?

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Wonder if he has the infamous coolant air bubble...

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Wonder if he has the infamous coolant air bubble...
Yeah, that's a thought. The added heat load of racing coudl easily cause it to 'lose its cool' in that case.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Understand about the auto sports car... :( I wanted a white coupe and my choice was limited to auto and manual. If I remember right, there's only 4 manual whites. I could be wrong about the number though.

Got some pictures of the day on my FB page. None of the solstice since I was driving it.

If you have time, check them out and give my page a "like"

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeremy-Ganss-Photography-Car-Photographer/309094145779110

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so sad... wish I would have found one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts