Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Hatchback w/ sunroof option / XXL trunk

Votes: 4 13.3%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think it is almost a foregone conclussion that the Solstice will be offered with a conventional folding fabric top with very modest trunk space, but what the hell, how would you like the top/trunk configuration? Please assume the overall size of the car remains the same as projected.

Note: The small, medium, large etc. refers to relative to what size is known about the trunk space. IE: the 4cf estimate is small.:cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
And thank you for the poll AreoDave!

I must be a dullard, when I've read about the automatically stowing top I assumed it would be some kind of folding hardtop, not a conventional soft-top. I have never owned a conventional soft-top convertible myself, but a couple of close friends have, their experiences have made me never want a conventional soft-top convertible (plastic window issues, leaks, security...).

Obviously I voted for the hardtop stowing option. I've never owned one of those either, but the idea seems to avoid some of the soft-top problems.

- ThomasH

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Auto-hardtop:

All the complication of electronics, combined with the complication of multiple linkage systems, with the added bonus of having all the same leak paths of a soft top, PLUS the extra road-hugging weight exactly where you need it for a performance car. All at a surcharge, of course.

I voted for a soft top, but if I were to option up to anything else, I'd like either a bolt-together 2-piece hard top (preferably Carbon-Fiber) that stows in the trunk with a small trunk. [the 2-piece option is so it is easier to stow]. Styled as a notch-back.

If that is not available, than forget the open air stuff and go right to a simple, metal roof with a notch-back, similar to the 88 Fiero Formula. Personally I'm not into the fastback coupe look.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Figure, What the heck. I owe myself a mid-life convertable! Might end up feeling different after a few years, but it's worth a try. Sounds silly but have been practicing by driving with the windows down and the sun roof open and end up wishing for something that puts you more "out there." Maybe 'cuz it's spring! Have decided a Solstice is a more sensible choice than a new HD Sportster. :jester

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Definately a soft top. This is a two seat roadster, not a Mercedes luxo-liner. A Hard top convertable has no place here IMO. If there is demand for a hard top convertable, let the people at Saturn offer it! They will need something to differentiate their version more anyway!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since this fella is little more portly than what I was hoping for, and that it would be exclusively my spring/summer transportation, one my first projects would be to yank-out the top and all related hardware... Given that, I hope they go with a soft top to keep costs down, and so that I could sell mine to someone who has a damaged one...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts