Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help...Solstice is well loved but has an issue with the coloring on the top. In the spring, I drive it to work with the top down. When there is early morning dew and it goes into the trunk, the top rubs on the inside of the trunk lid. The result: You can see a big oval where the convertible supports are inside. Here is what it looks like.

The rectangles are right above the handle at the windshield. The oval is the cross bar. And the odd quadrilateral (hey, my geometry teacher would be so proud I remembered that!) and the diagonal streak are above the driver window where ther is a joint in the top mechanism. Now, I've used the special top cleaners and a lot of elbow grease...it don't thnk it is dirty in this pattern, I think it is it is faded in this pattern, or more correctly, rubbed off in this pattern. But, I could be wrong. Any suggestions? Is there a way to re-dye the top?

·
Registered
7,152 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! where do they dye them? specialty convertible top shops I guess?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
You may be able to just scrub it down with top cleaner. Then a couple days later treat the top with RaggTopp Fabric Protectant (we have canvas tops, not vinyl).
14 oz. RaggTopp Fabric Protectant : Amazon.com : Automotive

There are a couple other products out there of similar quality.

We have two 2008 Skys, and both tops look like new. I keep them treated.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
The rub marks on the sides are due to the rubber feet pressing down. The center is because of long term contact with the trunk liner

The solution is the blanket. As the invented, I stand behind you...err...it.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Have the top dyed. It will look like brand new. I had my white leather seats in my Mustang re-painted (dyed if you will) and my white top done for a show and it looked awesome!!!

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone...lots of options! I'm working on my "Spring auto restoration/modification" campaign grand strategy and getting the Solstice top spruced up is near the top of the list...I'll do my research and figure out which of the above (or more likely several of the above) I'll do. But either way the top will look new again.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Once you have it back to showroom, I highly second GS's recommendation of the raggtop protectant. Their cleaner and protectant have done a remarkable job in rejuvenating my 07's top.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
My top stays in the trunk all summer, with no ill effects. As long as you keep it treated correctly, it should not discolor or end up with noticeable rub marks.
(if you really want to do this right, get the Kappa Blanket as Rob suggested, as well).

But there is one downside: The RaggTopp preserver tends to stay a little gooey. So if you park around cottonwood trees, the cotton will tend to stick and have to be picked off. :lol: But that is also why it repels water so well and maintains the OEM looks so good. My service writer commented last summer "What are you doing with the tops on your two Skys? They still look like new, and every other one we get in here looks all faded and they have marks on the top". So I gave up the info, and have seen a few others that miraculously look new now. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Both our tops appear new after 6 years. I keep them clean. I treat them with Raggtopp every 6 months and I always use your kappa blankets when they are in the trunk.

Plus its yet another opportunity for some cool custom graphics!

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a link for the kappablanket?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:);) Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar top problem question

Ace,

What solution did you decide on for the discoloration on your top? I have very similar issues with my '06 and would like to make the right decision. I've tried the 303 products but this is more than just needing a good cleaning. Is dyeing the top an option? If so, how and with what?

Many thanks!!

Carolina Thunder

Help...Solstice is well loved but has an issue with the coloring on the top. In the spring, I drive it to work with the top down. When there is early morning dew and it goes into the trunk, the top rubs on the inside of the trunk lid. The result: You can see a big oval where the convertible supports are inside. Here is what it looks like.

The rectangles are right above the handle at the windshield. The oval is the cross bar. And the odd quadrilateral (hey, my geometry teacher would be so proud I remembered that!) and the diagonal streak are above the driver window where ther is a joint in the top mechanism. Now, I've used the special top cleaners and a lot of elbow grease...it don't thnk it is dirty in this pattern, I think it is it is faded in this pattern, or more correctly, rubbed off in this pattern. But, I could be wrong. Any suggestions? Is there a way to re-dye the top?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I may take the plunge and try the Renovo that Moms suggested. my 06 has wear similar to the OP's and it's be nice to have it all nice and new again. I'll vreate a new Post if I do and record the process for future use. It's 60 bucks but could be well worth it depending on the condition of your top. I also have a buddy on the C3 forum that just changed the fabric on his 68 Stingray and I'll see if I can get some cost info incase anyone wanted to weigh that option. He's the "Rob" of the Corvette forum and isn't afraid to pull his wallet out and try something new. Very handy and inventive guy as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts