Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone 馃槑my wife and I just purchased an 06 nice ride but we are having a bad problem with the top and trunk. Sometimes they work and sometimes it doesn鈥檛. As of now we can鈥檛 get the top to work. One side pops up and the other side won鈥檛. When it dose work it鈥檚 almost impossible to lock the top to the trunk. Are there cables to adjust or is it something else. Need help real bad. Please help . We are in Lufkin tx.

Super Moderator
There really isn't any adjustment, but the whole mechanism can get corroded and sticky. Since you are having problems latching and unlatching I suspect this is the case.

The latch solenoid is attached to the bulkhead behind the driver's head, and you can see it with the trunk open. The cables run around the trunk, up through the corrugated hose into the lid, and then to the buttress latches. The latches are two wires that open and close to capture and release the pins on the bottoms of the buttresses.

The problem may get better with use if the car was inactive for a while, but of course it also may not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I鈥檓 sure that their is some tricks and or little adjustments that need to be made.by the way tks John.

Super Moderator
With the buttresses released, you can see down into the latch hole. The wire John referenced can be moved with hyper finger or a screwdriver by pushing it toward the side. You can try to spray a little lubricant on the latch to help free it up

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum.

If the trunk lid releases, but one or both buttress flaps do not, it is not an issues with the latch. The buttress releases are controlled by two cables in the truck lid that pull the wires away from the buttress pins to release the buttress flaps when the trunk lid latch is activated. These cables are attached to the release wires with plastic clips that have failed for many of us.
To manually release a "stuck" buttress flap, you need to get a bent rod in the buttress hold and pull the wire towards the center of the truck deck. Check the operation of the side that released by watching the wire and pushing the truck release button. I use an L-shape allen wrench, short end in the hole, long end in a pair of vise grips so I can pull the wire. Do this carefully to prevent scratches or put some masking tape on the deck for protection. You can also push down on the buttress flap while pulling the allen wrench to decrease the pressure the buttress pin puts on the wire and then release it.
After opening the trunk, you need to remove the trunk lid liner (only the corner near the buttress hole) to get to the wire and cable to see where the problem is. I replaced the missing plastic piece with a crimp-on lead sinker and it works just fine. I also keep my allen wrench in the glove box for future use and have used it several times. I also keep some spare sinkers on hand.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
With the buttresses released, you can see down into the latch hole. The wire John referenced can be moved with hyper finger or a screwdriver by pushing it toward the side. You can try to spray a little lubricant on the latch to help free it up

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
After taking a closer look the cable that attaches to the release wire came out. The bushing was gone. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Premium Member
After taking a closer look the cable that attaches to the release wire came out. The bushing was gone. Any ideas on how to fix it?
like MJPXD suggested, you can replace the broken plastic cable end with a crimp on lead sinker or you can find a local bicycle shop and buy a steel crimp on cable end. both work well. I went with a steel cable end I bought at Lowes. Like him, I also keep a small L allen wrench in the car just in case. Many things besides the cable end can prevent the trunk from opening. A dead battery or a bad solenoid or switch for instance. Another good idea that many have done is to relocate the emergency release in the trunk up to the opening where the seat belt comes through into the cabin. An easy modification. If all else fails, you can remove the rear wheel on the drivers side, remove the wheel well liner and reach through the large flapper valve to get to the emergency release handle.

Premium Member
Just a warning, the emergency release handle inside the trunk will not release the buttress flaps if the connection between the cables and the buttress release wire is broken. You still need to use an allen wrench or special tool to release the flaps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts