Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the material of the top will be? I don't know if it even makes much of a difference. Does either canvas or vinyl have better quality?

If vinyl actually looks like a plastic top I would definately want to have canvas.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Cloth material made by Haartz.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Many years ago I had a convertible top on a 1958 Vette made from a material called leatherette. It was ninyl, but looked and felt like calve skin. I would love to put that same material on my new Solstice. I wonder if it’s still available. :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
madmac9 said:
How quiet will the car be with the top up? Is there going to be tons of wind noise or will it be quiet?
That is hard to say at this point. From my experience with my Jeep, the majority of wind noise is caused by the aerodynamics of the car. Wind noise around the mirros, windshield, etc. Since the Solstice isn't a brick on wheels, I am sure it will be better than my Jeep.

Since the top won't insulate the car from outside noise as well as a hardtop car would, you will hear some noise. Some wind whistle, the cars around you will sound louder, road noise from the tires, engine/exaust sounds, etc. However, I find none of it really obtrusive in my Jeep (which has a triple ply canvas top). The worst noise is wind on the highway, on a windy day, and the Sol should not be nearly as bad in those conditions due to its more aerodynamic shape.

·
Registered
18 Posts
thats good to know. I live in phoenix so driving with the top down in the summer would be hard to stand espically with leather but I know i will still do it sometimes!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fformula88 said:
That is hard to say at this point. From my experience with my Jeep, the majority of wind noise is caused by the aerodynamics of the car. Wind noise around the mirros, windshield, etc. Since the Solstice isn't a brick on wheels, I am sure it will be better than my Jeep.

Since the top won't insulate the car from outside noise as well as a hardtop car would, you will hear some noise. Some wind whistle, the cars around you will sound louder, road noise from the tires, engine/exaust sounds, etc. However, I find none of it really obtrusive in my Jeep (which has a triple ply canvas top). The worst noise is wind on the highway, on a windy day, and the Sol should not be nearly as bad in those conditions due to its more aerodynamic shape.

:agree: I too drive a Jeep and the majority of the noise is wind related. Aerodynamically speaking, the Jeep is a 3700 lb box kite that is perpetually whistling and flapping. The Sol should be library quite in comparison.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Skidpad said:
:agree: I too drive a Jeep and the majority of the noise is wind related. Aerodynamically speaking, the Jeep is a 3700 lb box kite that is perpetually whistling and flapping. The Sol should be library quite in comparison.
Then you know exactly where I am coming from! :) A 3700 box kite is a good description! :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts