Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love this car! I was wondering is the top going to be cloth or removable hard top?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I still think it will be a folding hard top. If it was cloth they would have released it by now. Folding HT's are all the rage now and they don't cost that much more to manufactor.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here is the reply that I recieved from pontiac:

"For 2006 we have the Pontiac Solstice coming out. We do not have all the specific product information at this time, but it will have and estimated starting MSRP around $20,000. We will have more information as production grows near.

It will have many great features like the convertible top completely stows in rear clamshell opening, eighteen inch wheels with four wheel disc brakes, five-spoke wheels and a low, wide stance."

Sounds like hard top to me too!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think hard top would be awesome! I only wish that it would be 200hp to compete with the RSX type s and Eclipse GT and Mazda 6s.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am not sure if that really means it is a hard top - I think the info about the convertible top there just means that it stows completely away and out of site, compared to some other convertibles (like the Thunderbird), where the top is still partially visible, even when down.

I agree - a hard-top would be awesome. And would also explain why there would be no coupe version perhaps. Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
SmokinSolstice said:
I think hard top would be awesome! I only wish that it would be 200hp to compete with the RSX type s and Eclipse GT and Mazda 6s.
Shouldn't be hard with bolt ons to get this number with a NA ecotec.

I am anxious to hear the S/C performance numbers on it

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since We don't know all the info yet what kind of bolt on would you presume work to reach something like that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
well the base engine would be the 170 hp ecotec. My guess is some headers, exhaust, better intake, possible a power pulley to reduse loss horsepower due to the A/C, or evcen the supercharger for the ecotec which is supposed to be a somewhat simple installation although you have to take the car back to the dealership to have your computer reprogrammed for fuel and air mixture.

From what the Pontiac dealership told me they were going to offer the supercharged version the first year which should easily exceed 200 hp, probably putting it around 220-240.

You can also probably buy a better intake manifold and heads. The GM performance parts has a whole book on the ecotec for upgrades.

I didn't say they were cheap bolt ons and didn't require alot of work.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with you they are not cheap bolt ons but nonetheless there seems to be numorous bolt ons. I have a focus zx3 now, hope fully I can take some of the trade in money from there and use it to bolt on some parts. I will have to wait and see, I know a good friend who is a manger at a pontiac dealer here so I can get a good deal on it!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wouldnt bet on an electronic or manual folding hardtop for this car. Remember, Pontiac says the car will be priced as low as possible; around $20K. Now come on guys, what car do you see on the road with a folding hard top? None under about $60k. If pontiac did surprise us with something like a folding hardtop, I might consider this car instead of an Elise. ...well not really, but I do love the Solstice :smile
Maybe I can convince my brother to buy this car. Shouldnt be hard!

-Whit

·
Registered
42 Posts
zcar222 said:
I wouldnt bet on an electronic or manual folding hardtop for this car. Remember, Pontiac says the car will be priced as low as possible; around $20K. Now come on guys, what car do you see on the road with a folding hard top? None under about $60k. If pontiac did surprise us with something like a folding hardtop, I might consider this car instead of an Elise. ...well not really, but I do love the Solstice :smile
Maybe I can convince my brother to buy this car. Shouldnt be hard!

-Whit
I read in an article that when VW released the Concept "R" at the car shows a while back. They were thinking of putting in a hard top because it didn't cost that much more to manufacture and it add more perceived value to the car. Now they are aiming at BMW and Porsche but I think the same principles hold true. Put a folding hard top on this car and it beats the Miata. Trumo Card.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dav8or said:
I read in an article that when VW released the Concept "R" at the car shows a while back. They were thinking of putting in a hard top because it didn't cost that much more to manufacture and it add more perceived value to the car. Now they are aiming at BMW and Porsche but I think the same principles hold true. Put a folding hard top on this car and it beats the Miata. Trumo Card.

I second that!

·
Registered
28 Posts
dav8or said:
Put a folding hard top on this car and it beats the Miata. Trumo Card.
According to Autocar Magazine, Mazda has a huge surprise up its sleeve with the new design thats due in autumn 2005. A senior Mazda source confirmed that the MX-5’s rear end has been redesigned to accommodate the shape of a folding metal roof. Having two roof designs should attract those currently turned off by the security and refinement sacrifices of a cloth top, without alienating the cult following built up by the current car over the past 15 years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts