Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that in all the "top up" pictures posted here that the top has wrinkles just above & behind the door. Is there anyone that has gotten their car and this is not the case? I only wonder what they will look like in a years time? Like most of you I don't plan on much top up driving, but I must confess to being concerned about how the top will age. Sorry this image is so small.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Chip said:
I've noticed that in all the "top up" pictures posted here that the top has wrinkles just above & behind the door. Is there anyone that has gotten their car and this is not the case? I only wonder what they will look like in a years time? Like most of you I don't plan on much top up driving, but I must confess to being concerned about how the top will age. Sorry this image is so small.
I have seen a few around with no wrinkles on the top. I also heard that they iron out with the son beating down on them. Since the top is brand new, this may be something that is ony temporary. I guess we will find out in about a year or two after people have been driving them around in the sun.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine has a case of the wrinkes. It is expected, IMO. It really doesn't look that bad. It's just a matter of where the stress points are on the back of the top. I honestly don't see any way around these.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Before we all get on the Solstice tops stink bandwagon take a look at the next convert top you see. Saw a Solara in front of me today, top had major wrinkles around the rear window. Begining to think it goes with the territory. Though I also see a Capri convert at work daily and it has no wrinkles but God knows I don't want a Capri!

·
4,592 Posts
Excelsior said:
The only time you should see the top on any convertible is when its raining or the car is locked and unattended. And you never see it while sitting in it. :)
You leave the top down when it's parked (like overnight)? If not, you'd see it evertime you go to take a run, no?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
When I saw the cars at the ride and drive I had to look at my list to even notice it. Your attention is not really drawn there, and I believe that is due to the beauty of the car. And even when I looked at them, it just wasn't a big deal. And they actually do separate the car from other convertibles.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Collapsed, cold convertible tops wrinkle. This is why the top should be up when parked. If you want the wrinkles out a small hair dryer or a warm day will remove them. :)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SolLate said:
Collapsed, cold convertible tops wrinkle. This is why the top should be up when parked. If you want the wrinkles out a small hair dryer or a warm day will remove them. :)
That would work on most convertibles, but have you tried it on the Solstice? I think the wrinkles are stress related and if they are heat won't get rid of them. But if you've tried it and it works it would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Like I said, mine are defintely stress related. Yes, I have fold lines when I put it up after resting in the trunk, but those go away pretty quickly. It's the stress "curves" that we should be talking about.

·
Registered
340 Posts
SolLate said:
I was also at the Mesa Ride and Drive. The tops were wrinkled and noticeable. It was not a major eyesore though. The cars were parked in the sun in 107 degree heat and still had wrinkles.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Chip said:
The GEO Metro has no wrinkles. ;) ;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
sonoransolstice said:
I was also at the Mesa Ride and Drive. The tops were wrinkled and noticeable. It was not a major eyesore though. The cars were parked in the sun in 107 degree heat and still had wrinkles.
Keep in mind those were pre-production. Maybe no difference, but you never know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My corvette has wrinkles if left down or in spring and fall when it is cool and yes they go away as the day warms up or if you have heat on. Its part of life.Take car out of garage park in sun go in eat breakfast come out and enjoy no wrinkles...LAFFFFFF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts