Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this going on forever and never really cared to diagnose it. I'd noticed a small white square-ish area on the edge of the passenger side top exterior, midway between front/rear. I'd brush at it occasionally and notice that something seemed to be on the top but never really worked on resolving it. This past week I decided to take a closer look and noticed that the top almost seems slightly abraded or melted in effect. It clearly is rubbing on something repeatedly that is causing the change in pigment I originally thought was simply dirt.

Since 90% of the time my top is down, I looked inside the trunk to find the culprit and quickly realized it was one of the two rubber/plastic "feet" that are attached to the trunk lid. When the unit closes, these appear to press on the top to hold everything in place (probably to limit squeaks, etc.).

I'm concerned that this is going to really damage the top further and potentially put a hole in it where this rubbing is happening. Or that I have to start driving around with the top up which is just a non-starter. :grin:

Has anyone dealt with this or potentially removed one or both of the feet inside the trunk lid to limit this abrasion?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Lots of people use a blanket ontop of the roof when it is stored. Helps to prevent direct contact and friction between the "feet" and the canvas top.

Also make sure the rubber pad on the feet are st there and aligned properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After looking more closely I actually see that there is a pad on the driver's side but not on the passenger side. So there is a bit of foam padding on one but not the other. That's likely how/why the rubbing is happening. I actually can see that even the plastic on the passenger side is abraded from rubbing against the top.

·
Premium Member
17,538 Posts
You have two choices. You can pick up a new rubber bumper from GM and install it, or you can remove the one that is still there. In either case, I recommend that you get a kappablanket and use it or an alternate of your choice. The top rubs on the rubber feet but also in the center against the trunk lid and when folded against the trunk liner on the sides. All of which wear the canvas prematurely.

I went to Marci at Tailor threads and bought kappablankets for both cars.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
After looking more closely I actually see that there is a pad on the driver's side but not on the passenger side. So there is a bit of foam padding on one but not the other. That's likely how/why the rubbing is happening. I actually can see that even the plastic on the passenger side is abraded from rubbing against the top.
I would replace the one with the pad missing, and use a folded rag or some other fabric on both sides to prevent contact between the pad and the convertible top when it is stowed in the trunk.

2008 Pontiac Solstice Bumper. Roof panel. Bumper, rf retractable pnl si(plan-a/b, serviceable - 25843883 | Wholesale GM Parts Online, Louisville KY

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
After putting the top down in trunk I put 2 small pieces of folded cloth on the top where rubber stops hit and then close lid.no more problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Removed mine. Rubbing badly into the canvas top. In fact, so much so that the foam from these dug their way into the canvas weave and left marks. I just use a thin blanket to place over the folded top like others.

·
Registered
420 Posts
When I got the car, the same rubber blocks were rubbing on my top, that is down most of the time.

I use two (2) FOLGER's plastic coffee can lids.

In order to have the lid stay on the incline of the folded top when the trunk lid is closed, I stapled a 4" x 10" piece of felt as a tail on the Folgers lid. Both lids stay in place and protect the top. Have used this for some four years now. Be sure the open staple end is on the upside when attaching the felt tail piece.

I'll add that my SKY convertible is stock, thus what do I have to show in the trunk? For that matter the engine is stock too, so I like the lines of the car with both items in their nomal travel position, closed.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I use packing tape as I have wear marks in my trunk, so I know exactly where it touches.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I had noticed the white marks on top of my vert top. After reading this post I went out and looked at the white marks and where they lined up. Sure enough the lid bumpers had worn down on the sides and was causing the marks. I found out the bumpers were still available. It seems that the left side is readily available but the right side was N/A on all GM parts sites. After a long search I found a dealer on Ebay that claimed they had the right side. After a 3 week wait with no contact from them it finally shipped. I'm guessing I probably got lucky as that item is probably what's left in dealer stock. OEM #'s 25843883 bumper left and 25843884 bumper right. Took a few pics. :yay:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I had one lose it's rubber pad, my first Solstice, gm warranted it at the time. I thought they would just glue on another piece of rubber but they replaced the whole leg. I've used a large heavy black beach towel on wicked, when top is down, for about seven years now and it works fine. Don't think I would remove the legs, since they do hold the top down.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
If those pads got that much wear, it's showing that your top is not getting pushed down into place properly (low enough) and that the trunk lid and pads are doing all the work.

Check that it's not rubbing on the sides of the trunk carpet liner. Mod: Simple 'No-roof-wear-from-trunk-liner' fix
Thanks TS for the tip. Found the passenger side was rubbing badly. Followed the "kappaperformance" post and moved the carpet liner back. Did the same on drivers side but it was just barely rubbing. Top goes down farther. Thanks!! :grin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts