Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speculation on why we haven't seen the final version of the top anywhere yet....

1) Problems with the supplier?

2) Some secret GM wants to keep until the last minute?

3) Just left it as last thing to do?

Thoughts...other guesses?

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
Speculation on why we haven't seen the final version of the top anywhere yet....

1) Problems with the supplier?

3) Just left it as last thing to do?

Thoughts...other guesses?
4) GM doesn't want to showcase the weaker design features like the manual top and small trunk.

Several of us have agreed with this speculation. I can't think of a small manual top roadster that boasts of it's top or trunk in ads or brochures.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
5) GM hates us :cryin

I think it's an issue, but I don't think it's a suplier issue. Something in the development has been holding it up for now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got It!

Got the answer, there is no top and we will be provided with a super duper rain coat. Yep that is the state of the art GM design that has been kept secret. I saw it as a vision in my coffee mug. :party

·
Registered
527 Posts
6) Lutz tried to take it on a test drive to the golf course, freaked when he couldn't get his clubs into it, and ordered an immediate redesign....

·
Registered
46 Posts
A long time ago, I had a Scout SSII 4x4, the kind with the convertible top & doors. That experience makes me suggest that you buy as many extra tops as you can afford. But then again, I was a lot rougher on that vehicle than I expect to be on this one. Still, we don't know how long they will be available.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Cheever3000 said:
A long time ago, I had a Scout SSII 4x4, the kind with the convertible top & doors. That experience makes me suggest that you buy as many extra tops as you can afford. But then again, I was a lot rougher on that vehicle than I expect to be on this one. Still, we don't know how long they will be available.

Just a thought.
I don't think you will have a problem finding a replacement top for the Solstice. You can still get a replacement top for a 74 VW thing at J C Whitney. There should be a lot more Solsti on the road than Things. :cool

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
4) GM doesn't want to showcase the weaker design features like the manual top and small trunk.
I agree on this one. If it was supplier problems, I do not think GM would have bumped up its estimated arrival time from fall to summer of this year. They'd still be playing it safe.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I agree on this one. If it was supplier problems, I do not think GM would have bumped up its estimated arrival time from fall to summer of this year. They'd still be playing it safe.
Not much you can do when / if the supplier tells you they can meet certain dates and then falls on their behind trying to achieve it though.

GM hasn't even had roofs in the show cars. They haven't even had hinges in the show cars. Why would you go through the trouble to remove them at the show and store them away from the vehicle (if the car had a roof when it arrived)?

They didn't go through that trouble... there is no roof, because there are problems with the roof.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
rlhammon said:
Not much you can do when / if the supplier tells you they can meet certain dates and then falls on their behind trying to achieve it though.

GM hasn't even had roofs in the show cars. They haven't even had hinges in the show cars. Why would you go through the trouble to remove them at the show and store them away from the vehicle (if the car had a roof when it arrived)?

They didn't go through that trouble... there is no roof, because there are problems with the roof.
Also if the current trunk release system is jurry-rigged just for the show cars as we've speculated since it looks like it wouldn't work with a real roof there, then there probably wasn't a roof there to start with.

·
Registered
209 Posts
With the two humps behind the seats, might be a sealing challenge.......

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
rlhammon said:

Its possible. Maybe they did have roof problems and now do not. Even the latest show cars may have been made months ago.

Or, since they are show cars, they just left the roof hardware off.

I doubt there is currently a problem with the roof. As I said, they originally told everyone the car would be available in the fall of 2005. They stuck to that figure as late as a month or two ago. Now, since the NAIAS, not only have dealers learned of a June release date, GM officials are now telling us it will be available in the summer, matching that June time frame. If they were concered the supplier was having problems with the top, I do not think they would have bumped up their release date yet and gone public with it.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully the problem is solved by now but could have caused the delay in seeing the top over last few months. I think they had a small "salable" build scheduled for later in Feb at the plant, didn't they? Problem would have to have it solved by then.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Problems come up all the time, and they seemingly come up worse once you fixed the first problem... at least that's been my experience in dealing with the automotive industry. You often find a new problem once your fixed the old one.

Who knows what's happened over the development of the roof (besides the people at the supplier, the GM release engineer, and the GM quality engineer)... but I think that something has held it up from being done. I say that due to the lack of roofs in the cars.

Now, obviously they have a roof... as people have seen them recently. We have the one poster in Deleware that has pictures which they have never posted... despite my efforts to get them to post. And, we have someone else who just within days saw one heading into Milford. I also know that others who are not on this board have the seen the roof in various different locations. These are not all the same car, so there are roofs out there.

I truely believe there is or was a problem which prevented the show cars from getting roofs. GM and the supplier have been working through those issues, and I assume they must be minor if some cars (the spied cars on the roads) have roofs to use.

It's just my thoughts on the situation from what I've seen, and heard.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Maybe those problems are mostly worked through by now. Certainly not in time to get any to shows, but enough so that they are on the streets, and the summer release is still on.

That poster from Deleware indicated he thought the tops looked fairly finished too. No wrinkles like on other test mules. Its too bad he wouldn't post the pics he did have (if he really had them at all).

·
Registered
29 Posts
(smoking really good stuff! :crazy )
like a retractable hard top ... not the be copied by (or inspire) Mazda...

or realistically :
:banghead

·
4,592 Posts
The interesting question, will we ever know the REAL ANSWER to this threads question. Maybe in time an insider will share the answer. BUt if it is option "4", I don't see realy ever being able to confirm that was why. That's why we call this speculation, eh!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts