Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
goalscore247 said:
Since when as anyone said anything about a turbo version shortly after release
There have been several Magazines and Online publications that have said pretty much what this article has said, "Turbocharged version due soon after release." There's been no GM official information if this is true or not, same as there has been no GM official information saying there will ever be anything but the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC in the Solstice.

We've had many heated debated over if the Solstice would be getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger in the past. These articles have been part of the fuel for the Turbocharged side. Along with the fact that the Chevy Nomad Concept was a Turbocharged 250HP engine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
brentil said:
There have been several Magazines and Online publications that have said pretty much what this article has said, "Turbocharged version due soon after release." There's been no GM official information if this is true or not, same as there has been no GM official information saying there will ever be anything but the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC in the Solstice.

We've had many heated debated over if the Solstice would be getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger in the past. These articles have been part of the fuel for the Turbocharged side. Along with the fact that the Chevy Nomad Concept was a Turbocharged 250HP engine.
I thought all the talk was about supercharging, i didnt know there was talk of a turbo. Well which ever way they want to build a kit to get me 250HP, they are welcome to

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
goalscore247 said:
I thought all the talk was about supercharging, i didnt know there was talk of a turbo. Well which ever way they want to build a kit to get me 250HP, they are welcome to
Supercharing has been the primary topic for various reasons. The Solstice Concept, along with all of the other Kappa Concepts (except Nomad) used a 240HP Supercharged ECOTEC engine. All of the domestic GM cars made currently use Superchargers except for SAAB. Also GM currently offers only Superchargers on their crate engines and as upgrade kits.

However as I mentioned there's been talk of the higher output version being Turbocharged instead. GM has plenty of Turbocharged experience via SAAB, Opel, and Vauxhall. I also found out recently the Jay Leno Toronado rebuild car used a Twin-Turbo GM Performance Parts prototype crate engine that they gave to him for his buildup. Plus there's been talk elsewhere of GM moving away from Superchargers towards Turbochargers for certain platforms like the ECOTEC to replace the ION RL/Cobalt SS engine in a couple years.

·
Registered
182 Posts
since when did the avalon and freestyle become cool? otherwise it is a sort of interesting read and it throws some fuel to the fire of the boosted engine debate.

·
5,600 Posts
OK, here is my top 10 list of cool cars under $25,000 assuming I can even find 10 for that price!

The Chevy Cobalt SS is High School cool. :cool: (MSRP $21,995)

The Ford Mustang convertible is laid back cool. :cool: (MSRP, 6. $24,500)

The Mazda Miata NB is carefree cool. :cool: (MSRP $22,643)

The Mini Cooper S supercharged is "yeah, baby!" cool. :cool: (MSRP$20,449)

The Saturn Sky is mini-viper cool. :cool: (MSRP = $24,995?)

The Pontiac Solstice is "above it all" cool :cool: :cool: under $25,000 MSRP! So cool, it defines the term.

I kid you not.

Well, that is my whole complete list! Nope! could not even find 10 lousy cars and trucks under $25,000 that meet the definition of cool...

The Honda S2000 is performance cool but too expensive. Ditto the Elise. The PT Cruiser convertible LOOKS cool, but the power to weight ratio is most un-cool (150hp/3,300 pounds). The Dodge SRT-4 is cool but doesn't look it and FWD is entirely un-cool. The Dodge Magnum is locker room cool, but not when equipped with the MSRP-friendly V6. The MR2 Spyder might be cool but at MSRP $25,145 it doesn't count. The Volkswagen New Beetle is not retro enough to be cool. And Jeeps just aren't as cool as they used to be when they were small, basic and elemental. The Hummer H1 is VERY cool, but eeeeeegads MSRP is :brentil: And the UMCSC with its add-on-look fender blisters are High School Auto Shop Project cool :cool: BUT ONLY if you are still in High School Auto Shop. :jester:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts