Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Pontiac solstice GXP. due to a long story that some are aware of, but for brevity sake, I will just summarize that my sister borrowed the car (until I get a second car we switched cars at times is why) and she did not put the top on it correctly, (I believe so; could've been a break-in attempts; not sure).

The part of the top that affixes to the top of the windshield was not closed properly, I believe though not certain that the top not being closed properly vis-à-vis the windshield part of the top it caused the "anchors", the two "wings" of the back of the top that one pushes into the holes in the trunk, to pop open, of which I did find open in the morning when I went outside.

Curiously, the two chrome rings that the wings of the top push through to lock into whatever mechanism is inside were both off the car, and laying in the street. My first impulse was to think that somebody tried to break into the car. Upon further inspection and reflection I discovered the above mentioned problem, though not sure, my analysis has led me to believe that some sort of weird pressure was put upon the rear anchors of the top which put pressure on the chrome holders, (I am not sure what they're called officially?: anyone know?), and they popped off.

For those who have read my threads previously you know I have stated that I am not mechanically adept. So me fixing these things may not be a good idea because they could get lost, fall off at the wrong time, etc. Also not sure if the chrome holders being off can now can cause flooding in the trunk?

It appears to me that they seem to be glued on with some sort of material of some sort? Correct?

Has anybody had any of these pop off?
Does anybody know how to get them back on correctly
And how to get them to stay on permanently?

Before I run it over to a body shop or my local regular shop, assuming both can handle it, (I'm assuming if I have to have to have somebody else repair it, which is highly likely, the body shop would be better of the two?), if it's easy enough, I might give it a shot.

Any help information insight etc. appreciated.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
The trim rings are held on by 3M double sided trim tape. You can buy it at a neighborhood parts store. Rub the existing tape off the back of the trim rings. Clean the trunk lid with alcohol. Apply a row of the tape to the bottom side of the trim rings and stick them back on the car.

It sounds like the buttresses were not latched and popped open, pulling the trim rings off the car. I have not seen this before but it's not a huge problem

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The trim rings are held on by 3M double sided trim tape. You can buy it at a neighborhood parts store. Rub the existing tape off the back of the trim rings. Clean the trunk lid with alcohol. Apply a row of the tape to the bottom side of the trim rings and stick them back on the car.

It sounds like the buttresses were not latched and popped open, pulling the trim rings off the car. I have not seen this before but it's not a huge problem
I agree with your theory that the, now that I know the name, butresses were not latched because the top was not put on correctly and they popped off the, now that I know the name, trim rings, off, I am going to give this a shot, I think I can handle this, very simple instructions that you put forth very well, thank you, and I will that you know how it went

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree with your theory that the, now that I know the name, butresses were not latched because the top was not put on correctly and they popped off the, now that I know the name, trim rings, off, I am going to give this a shot, I think I can handle this, very simple instructions that you put forth very well, thank you, and I will that you know how it went
The buttresses not being snapped in place has nothing to do with the top not being latched at the top of the windshield. Totally unrelated. It does sound more like someone was trying to "manually" release the buttresses.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
I agree, and I have never seen a report of the trim rings being removed by the buttresses. Having said that, if the top is not latched to the windshield then it is not in the right position for releasing the buttresses and its possible that when released they hung up on the trim rings. And if someone pulled up on the buttresses when they are in contact with the trim rings they could pull them off. Strange.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The buttresses not being snapped in place has nothing to do with the top not being latched at the top of the windshield. Totally unrelated. It does sound more like someone was trying to "manually" release the buttresses.
that was my fear, that somebody tried to break into the car, it still could be, though at this point it is what it is.

I went to Home Depot explained the problem to them and they said in their opinion better than double-sided tape was this liquid glue. There were three of them that concurred. I will try. If it doesn't work I will bring it to either a body shop or to a local repair shop.

·
Registered
286 Posts
that was my fear, that somebody tried to break into the car, it still could be, though at this point it is what it is.

I went to Home Depot explained the problem to them and they said in their opinion better than double-sided tape was this liquid glue. There were three of them that concurred. I will try. If it doesn't work I will bring it to either a body shop or to a local repair shop.
I'm no expert but I would not take advice from Home Depot people on how to fix a Solstice.

I would also guess that using glue would not be recommended for the sole (no pun intended) reason that if you needed to remove them, you couldn't without stripping off paint.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm no expert but I would not take advice from Home Depot people on how to fix a Solstice.

I would also guess that using glue would not be recommended for the sole (no pun intended) reason that if you needed to remove them, you couldn't without stripping off paint.
okay that is really good advice, thing is they did not seem to have any double-sided tape that I felt would work, and the tape that I did see is straight, would seem very difficult to get it to fit into our circle, am I wrong?

also, there are a lot of different types of tape. Does anybody know exactly what tape to get? And where a good place to get it would be? If it is straight how do I get it to fit into the circle? Do I just squeeze it in and cut around the edges? Doesn't seem like it's going to work to me, though I may be wrong.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
DO NOT USE GLUE!

Go to an auto parts place or Amazon and get 3M tape. Only!

It is designed for this use. The trim rings can then be removed if body work is necessary

Leave them off till you get the proper tape

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DO NOT USE GLUE!

Go to an auto parts place or Amazon and get 3M tape. Only!

It is designed for this use. The trim rings can then be removed if body work is necessary

Leave them off till you get the proper tape
SO glad for you guys
Got it Rob
Will follow directions
Thank you very much

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I generally don't take advice from Home Depot on how to fix ANYTHING! (There are a few individuals at our local store that I will listen to, however.)

Get the 3M tape large enough that you can cut it into a circle the size of the trim ring and cut a hole in the center with a razor blade or utility knife.

And, as Rob stated, make sure you CLEAN both surfaces before applying. You'll need to hold some pressure on it for 20-30 seconds to make sure you get a good bond. The longer it sits, the tighter it gets.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
NEVER EVER under any circumstances, use glue on your car at all!!! There are rare circumstances when nothing else will work, but this is not one of them! ALWAYS use 3M tape to put trim pieces back on.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
You can pick up a roll of 3M tape at any local autoparts store or maybe even Wallmart

http://www.amazon.com/3M-38583-Exte...1498739151&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+automotive+tape

It is flexible enough to bend around the curve of the trim. I used several pieces to make a full trip around the bottom of the piece. Cut the edges to conform to the edge of the bottom using an Xacto knife. Then remove the bottom tape protective film, line it up with the opening in the trunk lid and apply it. Press it firmly in place and you are done.

It is easier to work with if its warm. Carry it in your pocket for a few minutes then do the job. It is really very easy.

Here are pictures of the last time I remounted mine. They have been off several times. You can see the bottom with two tape pieces applied.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/index158.html#post1792538

if you need information on working on your car, you can start here. If it comes off the car or can be painted, its pretty much in my thread.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/index152.html#post1765649

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
He can also cut 4 small pieces and put them in a cross or N/S/E/W.

Reactions: rob the elder

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
did not forget the feedback here, car is not working, and shop, one's car is out I will feedback, I did get the tape recommended above, will feedback once it is applied and hopefully works

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
have not had a chance to address this issue get, car is in the shop, once out of the shop I will feedback if the tape I got, I got the one recommended above, worked for me, hopefully it will.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update: used the tape recommended above by one-of-a-kind members, got it on, today, so far so good, assuming no problems it is done. Thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts