Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this top up pic surfing, you will need to go 2/3 down the page to see it: (don't know if this is real or not or if its posted already)

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131

He shoots, he scores (I dig it!)

P.S. How do you guys post a picture into your text, I must be a moron because I can't figure it out so I have to send goober links w/instructions to get people to the prize!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I was under the impression those pics of the concept with a top were photochops, and not an actual top on the car.

Car and Driver had a couple pics of the test mules with tops up, but they don't really show much and are at bad angles to really evaluate how they look. They are also still a work in progress:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=8119&page_number=1

I am sure some of the others that did reviews of the test mules had a couple pics too, but on a quick search I haven't turned any of them up.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
That's the clay model that appeared a few years ago in Pop Science article on rapid development of the Solstice (2002?).

To post a picture in text use "manage attachments" button in the lower portion of a reply or new topic (below the text block).

Search back in our news forum for the Pop Science article and the test mules articles with top up (probably not real production tops just something they threw up for English winter).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aawil said:
That's a pic of the original concept car that has been floating around.
I figured as much, I was searching the forum earlier for any pics and figured a new discussion with that photo would bring out articles and pics like it did. Thanks to all for contributing.

Is it safe to say we won't hear anything more on the car until Jan 05 during the big show? Not a whole lot out there given all the forum's research?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There could be some more info between now and January. Were hoping to get some more insight soon on the Saturn roadster which could translate to Solstice info, although details of that are likely to wait until Jan too. Hopefully they throw us a few more bones over the next 4 months before Jan!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticegirl said:
I think the top looks pretty decent. The soltice looks a little like the BMW Z series, but a little more retro.
Wow, I have yet to hear that comparison! The Z4 is a wreck of a design with lines running in all directions and cutting through the car at odd angles. Its such a busy design compared to the Solstice's smooth lines and contours!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The smoothing is what makes it look more retro. The solstice is much more curvy. But the split grill in the front and the overall design/shape is similar...at least from a distance (ignoring all the funky lines and not looking at it from the side).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The BMW Zs and the Solstice both have split grills... and thats it. The Solstice follows classic roadster proportions, but I don't think it draws a comparison styling wise with any roadster in production, and I have a hard time with comparisons with past roadsters as well. It seems to me to be it's own car. :thumbs

·
4,592 Posts
Photoshop Top Up Pic - Vette top on Solstice

Hi All!

Recently, there has been some comparisons of the Solstice to the Vette...

I thought for fun, I'd put a vette top on the solstice, see attached.

I wish we knew more, the top could be the main reason I won't by the car. Even though we all dream of having he top down all times, the fact if the top up look is a critical design element.

The pics of the mules with tops kinda turned me of, they didn't look right in some way, like they didn't fit. I personally hope that was just a "early" prototype problem.

The top i put on (from a vette) was modified slightly in the back to give the idea of the wing-like "buttresses"

Love to hear your thougths!

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Looks good. Suggest you alter it so that the window opening in the top is flush with the rear of the door to allow for the full side window. This should also reduce the blind spot size.

·
4,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
And you can make the window opening more round toward the back - like the clay picture above...
Pic modified to respond to the last too comments "move top closer to rear of door, and curve more like the clay model.

I think the clay model was "overcurved", but notice the rear side of the door in the clay model vs. the most model, the clay model door does not come o a complete vertical line, the newer model is nearly vertical, so I didn' think the "overcurved" look worked, BUT I did round it from the angular look of the original.

keep the comments coming!

RODEO

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
RODEO said:
I think the clay model was "overcurved",
RODEO
Having seen several drive by me around here, I can tell you that the clay is not "overcurved". That's really close to the shape of the side windows...

·
Registered
533 Posts
solsticeman said:
Having seen several drive by me around here, I can tell you that the clay is not "overcurved". That's really close to the shape of the side windows...
Are the tops you've seen on the cars on the road as good looking as Rodeo's rendition? Also, do you think those are the final version?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Looks pretty much like the top renderings I did months ago. I know they look kinda square, but I think the general idea might be close. I just don't really want to spend the time to go back and "round" them out. I'm still dreaming of a retractable rear back glass, but it sounds like that's all it is, a dream. I'll post those pics again just for kicks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts