Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone post a pic of the solsdaddy with the top up?!?!? I think I've only seen one in a magizine..but I cant remeber what mag it was...ahh.. help me.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Do a search at Car and Driver, Motortrend, and any of the other major magazines. They all snapped a bunch of pics of the car, and I know more than one source showed the test mules with their tops up.

Also remember that this is not the finalized top, so the actual car top may have a different appearance.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
There are no pictures of an actual production top. Only concept photos from the design studio, or improvised tops on the test mules. Ya gotta wait like the rest of us. :(

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
From Motortrend

and from C&D

Rough view of tops, but have it on moderate confidence from sources that the "general shape" is close. Overheard from FOAF of the top manufacturer that they are "in process" of perfecting the top, whatever that means, but these are good approximations of what the end result will appear like, only better (again, whatever that means).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
From Motortrend

Rough view of tops, but have it on moderate confidence from sources that the "general shape" is close. Overheard from FOAF of the top manufacturer that they are "in process" of perfecting the top, whatever that means, but these are good approximations of what the end result will appear like, only better (again, whatever that means).
Some of those reviews said the top was a little ungainly to fold and store in the car. So part of the perfecting must be to ease use of it and make it a simpler process to store. Depending on what they do could also change the outward appearance.

As far as convertable tops go, those do not look all that bad. If they are a good approximation, the production car is going to look good with the top up too!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I really like the general shape a lot. :thumbs The buttresses (ala '69 Charger) add a lot to the look by visually tieing into the headrest humps. A small, flat, nearly vertical piece of glass between two folding buttresses has a lot of advantages over a sloping, curved piece of clear flexible plastic like what has been used on a lot of roofs in the past.

I'm hopeful they will be able to make that back window glass move independent of the fabric roof and allow it to be raised when the top is folded to be used as an anti-buffeting device.

Because the roof stores under the rear deck, it would be very difficult, complicated and heavy to come up with something that stores without getting out of the car. So, while standing next to the car with the deck open, it's not that much more to reach over and push the buttresses up.

I think I can live with any blind spots to the side 'cuz most of the traffic will be getting smaller directly behind me! :cool

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
As far as convertable tops go, those do not look all that bad. If they are a good approximation, the production car is going to look good with the top up too!
:agree
I think I can live with any blind spots to the side 'cuz most of the traffic will be getting smaller directly behind me!
I don't even care about blind spots that much. I have a fleet of trucks for my business that don't even have rear windows and I manage to drive them thousands of miles every year without incident. If the mirrors are good, you don't even need rear windows, but you do have to take more care changing lanes (which is easier if you're passing everyone :D ) and backing up, which might be good advise for all drivers in any car.

I'm not suggesting that they not put good rear visability in the Solstice if possible, just that it's not super critical as long as they have good mirrors. To make the top function well, and look as good as the rest of the car, I believe it's worth sacraficing visability. This is not a car built for safety, it's built to look bad ass and be fun to drive! :cool

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
:agree

I don't even care about blind spots that much. I have a fleet of trucks for my business that don't even have rear windows and I manage to drive them thousands of miles every year without incident. If the mirrors are good, you don't even need rear windows, but you do have to take more care changing lanes (which is easier if you're passing everyone :D ) and backing up, which might be good advise for all drivers in any car.

I'm not suggesting that they not put good rear visability in the Solstice if possible, just that it's not super critical as long as they have good mirrors. To make the top function well, and look as good as the rest of the car, I believe it's worth sacraficing visability. This is not a car built for safety, it's built to look bad ass and be fun to drive! :cool
I live with solid flying butresses and gigantic blind spots to the rear quarters in my Fiero everyday and manage to get by! Its all a matter of using your side mirrors correctly (which is becoming a lost art in this country!). Besides, the top will be down and stored as often as it is up, and then there will be no blind spots! :cheers

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fformula88 said:
... Its all a matter of using your side mirrors correctly (which is becoming a lost art in this country!).
Am I the only one excited about having learned this technique?
Having the side mirrors adjusted to eliminate the blind spots is so cool!

Then again, maybe if I had learned it more than just a year ago I might be less thrilled...

If there is anyone who doesn't know about this and is afraid to ask, here are several websites that explain how to do it.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/erhard_schreck/blindspo.htm
http://www.zianet.com/SLlover/page6b1.html
http://www.kickas.org/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=tips&Number=131780&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=3&o=365&part=
http://www.salisbury.edu/police/Newsletter/articles/200305/2003005_03.asp
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/article.asp?ArtID=6287 (Click & Clack the Tappet brothers)

They all say the same thing in more or less the same words...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
dls6774 said:
Am I the only one excited about having learned this technique?
Having the side mirrors adjusted to eliminate the blind spots is so cool!

Then again, maybe if I had learned it more than just a year ago I might be less thrilled...
Yep, you are! :lol J/K! Seriously, it is cool to be able to check your blind spots with the mirrors and make safe lane changes! Its also nice not to have to crane your neck looking over your shoulder, whether your car has big blind spots or not, because in the time it takes for you to turn and get a peek, something bad may have happened in front of you!

I never thought it was out of the ordinary, but my father taught me how to use the mirrors years ago on a Fiero, and it is necessary in those cars. So it is mostly natural for me. I use them on my Jeep too, even with the top down and no real blind spot to worry about! :cheers

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Seriously, it is cool to be able to check your blind spots with the mirrors and make safe lane changes! Its also nice not to have to crane your neck looking over your shoulder, whether your car has big blind spots or not, because in the time it takes for you to turn and get a peek, something bad may have happened in front of you!
This one tip is worth it's weight in gold!
It has saved me from initiating several accidents (why DO they ride in the blind spot?) and just makes for much more pleasant and safe drives.

·
Registered
275 Posts
All of my cars have that little $2 convex wedge mirror (not the round one) stuck to the lower inside of the driver's side mirror (pass side is already convex). Then I adjust the driver's side mirror way out (until a car alongside is visible until the front bumper is even with the mirror) . Windshield mirror is to see what is in back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts