Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all :grouphug: just have a few questions for the people around here using the torque app for android (i know a few of you are).
First things first, i got a tablet today *sunday*, specifically this one Dell - Streak 7 Tablet with 16GB Memory - STREAK7-16GRAY-UTMO its great has a 'G' sensor, also has bluetooth so i ordered a OBDII bluetooth adapter thing it should be here tomorrow or on tuesday, and i have downloaded the free torque app as well, now my question to you all with this is, what 'gauges' do you guys use? i have a '06 2.4 NON turbo so what do you guys recommend to monitor on my car? one thing is when i set the coolant temp it shows it in Celsius even though i have set the temps to Fahrenheit, how can i change that or will it change once i use the BT adapter with it? ive gone through all the settings and nothing has changed it :willy:

*also for those of you who say it will not be very fast, im well aware of that, and as seeing that i do not have a turbo i will not be monitoring knock or anything of the sort, also those who recommend a dashhawk i got the tab because i want a tablet to use at home and work this was just a slight advantage, so im not expecting the same features as that, just basic monitoring, since i dont have a DIC just mileage so i have to way to monitor anything other than what i feel, see or smell :chill:

So please any info or tips would help, even if you dont own one but think it would be something to watch that would be helpful, thank you and also good morning to most of you :thumbs:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use it all the time. For the 2.4 I would take advantage of using all sensors the app see's. Just remember to use torque scan. Now, I will say that there is a delay with Torque but its understandable since it needs to go through a Bluetooth dongle to the phone, be processed and then displayed. The delay is not bad(less then a sec). What Bluetooth module are you using? I use the kiwi. I'll make a video here in a few days. I was already planning on it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For now I cheaped out and got the cheap eBay one for 20 bucks but depending on how useful/ how much I like it I might up grade to the kiwi as you mentioned, that one is reasonably priced compared to the others that run around 200

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get one from ODBPROS or Scantool.net. ANd if you want killer software look at ScanXL from Palmer Performance.
Regards,

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've got a cheap ebay bluetooth and it works fine. I spent about 5 minutes with the free torque app before buying the full version. Trust me, for $5 you can't go wrong.

I have speed, coolent temp, detail list, fuel level, a bunch of small trip gauges(total trip time, total moving, total stopped,trip avg speed) and boost(I have a GXP).

My tablet is useless with the top down, too much glare.

Here is a pic of it mounted:

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
rmahoney, can you elaborate on what bracket you're using? I'd like to set up my 7 inch tablet in a similar position to yours from time to time.

I like how it uses the hand grip as a mounting point, could you tell me what type of mount that is?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like that, what are you using to hold it up mine is held on with Velcro to the dash, I like it because it's right over the two vents/ ac controller so I can see it all the time, also I have no a/c so it doesn't take anything away really, the only problem I see with yours is having a passenger, it might get in the way but it looks good!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice!!! When I get back tomorrow to Cali ilk post a pic and possibly a video.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi all, i took a short vid this morning when going in to work, this is just the parking lot drive but my Bluetooth is good. It stays connected all the time, the Bluetooth I got was not from china, it was from here in California so I guess a little better quality, but anyway check it out let me know what you guys think:) http://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4hg8id0cx1r6mqr0.mp4

Also sorry about quality and moving, it's hard to drive with one hand and record over speed bumps lol it was taken with my iPhone as well

·
Registered
199 Posts
rmahoney, can you elaborate on what bracket you're using? I'd like to set up my 7 inch tablet in a similar position to yours from time to time.

I like how it uses the hand grip as a mounting point, could you tell me what type of mount that is?
I got it from GPScity.com. These are the components that make it up:

RAM Mount RAM-B-108BU Aluminum U Shaped Base with Straps and 1'' Ball

RAM Mount RAM-HOL-UN8BU Universal X-Grip II Tablet Cradle with 1 inch B-Ball

RAM Mount RAM-B-201U Aluminum 3.0 inch Standard Length Dual 1.0 inch Socket Arm

Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like that, what are you using to hold it up mine is held on with Velcro to the dash, I like it because it's right over the two vents/ ac controller so I can see it all the time, also I have no a/c so it doesn't take anything away really, the only problem I see with yours is having a passenger, it might get in the way but it looks good!
It doesn't appear to get in the way for a passenger (unless they have giant hands!). There's a good amount of handle left to grip.

The links to the components I used are in the above post.

Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
He made it himself. There's a thread somewhere showing pics...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
What are you talking about? It's one dude offering a free (or very cheap to offset the cost of hosting) app, it's not some business you're paying to provide after-hours support.

He created the forums and offers support there like others do in the same position where the community can assist and even added the user-facing wiki a couple months ago so any additional information people wanted to add, they can.

To add/edit dials? Long-press the screen. This is the context menu in almost everything Android.

A link to how to theme: Themes - Torque OBD2 Wiki
The thread where everyone shares custom ones they've built:Forums — Torque OBD ECU Scanner Torque Discussion / Ideas ThemesTorque

It's popular because it's a fantastic tool that's cheap.

I mean, this all existed on his personal website for years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts