Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been seeing more of these failures happening to the torque arm on the 2007 and newer Solstice & Sky's. On higher horsepower cars, the torque arm that attaches between the transmission and the rear differential is starting to crack and break. This is something that we have just started seeing this year and know of 3 cars here that we have worked with. Right now we are welding up a plate to strengthen the torque arm along the section that we are seeing crack and break. Once we get some more feedback on this upgrade we will let everyone know. The piece we are welding on will be available from us if you want to have it welded on locally, or we will also be offering welded pieces that we can ship out that are ready to install with a core charge that is refundable. Here is a picture of one of the latest breaks and also what the welded up version looks like.

Here is a picture of what we are seeing -

What we have been doing is prepping a good torque arm -

Then we are welding on a support bracket -

Shoot a new coat of paint on it -

Then install it or ship it out -

So far they have been working pretty good, once we get some more information I will pass it along.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
Dave,
This looks like something you might decide to add to your list of services at the nationals.

Along with installing the lifting point shoes.

And my supercharger. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
Vendor
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you gain access to the front end? I took a quick look at mine and its easy to see the rear end but not the front
You remove the transmission from the car and it is right there ;) Definitely not an easy install, but we have been doing them on cars getting clutch jobs that have the transmission out already.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hmmm...might be something to think about when I replace my clutch...

·
Vendor
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So short of pulling the transmission, what symptoms result so you know that you need to do a fix?
Usually, most people start to notice a shifter that is moving up and down or heavy vibration in the shifter.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is one of those things though Dave that I think anyone doing a clutch swap should probably put on their to-do list even if it is not happening to them yet (and have a setup that is equal to a base Redline or greater). I mean, a bit of preventive upgrading may be a bit of a waste to some but I'd sure like to have the insurance there to know that I don't have to worry about it in the future if I'm already at the point where the car is torn down to that level anyway.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dave,

Have you been continuing to find these cracked when doing clutch jobs? Are you able to source the fix for the DIYers or offer an upgraded torque arm upon request?

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts