Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tail housing/trans plate: $250
Torque arm/brkt/hardware: $100
GXP differential: $350

I have everything you'd need to add a torque arm to an early non-torque arm car and "cure the clunk." Includes the arm, differential bracket, trans plate, trans tail housing w/ seals etc,, and all hardware. All came out of my car at ~75,000 miles and worked fine. The previous owner did have a rubberized undercoating applied to the car which is the black discoloration you see on the diff bracket. I will try to remove this but no promises.
Tints and shades Gun accessory Gun barrel Composite material Wood
Gas Auto part Metal Art

I also have a complete 3.73 torque arm differential available, but as the only cars that would need the arm added have a 3.91 diff, you're probably better off sourcing the correct diff from a 2.4L 07+ kappa locally. Alternatively, you could buy mine and swap the gears. Should be small potatoes to anyone that can do the tail housing swap.

If splitting the tail housing off your trans sounds like too much work, you can also locally source a 07+ transmission and swap the entire unit, which will also gain you the better 3rd gear ratio.

Located around the Lansing/Wixom MI area. I have no problem shipping but it will be additional cost and the arm itself is almost 60" long and weighs 38lbs.

PM here or email is my username @gmail.com

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hah. Good timing. ...
Well I did need some motivation to finally try and get the thing out of my shop where its been for the last year. ;)

If it goes to a caring and loving home all the better for everyone.

Reactions: agent008

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That arm only weighs 40lbs? Damn...
That's the #2 reason I didn't want it anywhere near my car!

(#1 being I wanted to be able to direct swap Cadillac diffs.)

· Registered
1,954 Posts

I have everything you'd need to add a torque arm to an early non-torque arm car and "cure the clunk." Includes the arm, differential bracket, trans plate, trans tail housing w/ seals etc,, and all hardware. All came out of my car at ~75,000 miles and worked fine. The previous owner did have a rubberized undercoating applied to the car which is the black discoloration you see on the diff bracket. I will try to remove this but no promises.

I also have a complete 3.73 torque arm differential available, but as the only cars that would need the arm added have a 3.91 diff, you're probably better off sourcing the correct diff from a 2.4L 07+ kappa locally. Alternatively, you could buy mine and swap the gears. Should be small potatoes to anyone that can do the tail housing swap.

If splitting the tail housing off your trans sounds like too much work, you can also locally source a 07+ transmission and swap the entire unit, which will also gain you the better 3rd gear ratio.

Located around the Lansing/Wixom MI area. I have no problem shipping but it will be additional cost and the arm itself is almost 60" long and weighs 38lbs.

"I" doubt the difference in rer will be a deal breaker, i wouldn't bat a eye at the minimal change in ratios

Bill

· Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,626 Posts
That arm only weighs 40lbs? Damn...
Feels like 600 thousand lbs when you’re under it!

GLWS!
Yes i would have guessed twice that. Being under the arm in a cramped space with it over your face makes it a little harder to estimate :)

· Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,626 Posts

View attachment 124781 View attachment 124780

Phil, if it is not to much of an inconvenience can you get a couple more shots of the tail section from different angles? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phil, if it is not to much of an inconvenience can you get a couple more shots of the tail section from different angles? Thanks in advance.
Sure.

Anything in particular you're looking for? Or just curious?

· Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Both curious and an opportunity to have photos on the forum for future discussions, etc.
Personally i wish i had taken more photos of my drive train when i had it out. I have found referencing them (and many other's photos) here useful and (hopefully) helpful to others at some future date on the forum.

My apologies for hijacking your for sale thread.
I think your prices are good and again wish you good luck on the sale.

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Combat vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Musical instrument Gas Bell Idiophone Auto part

Gas Machine Auto part Metal Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Door

Reactions: agent008

· Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Very cool and thanks. I have always wondered how/why transmissions tend to not have many flat or straight tubular planes. The cast housings make me think somebody wrapped the interior business in “so”much insulation and then pressed it into a casting mold instead of just making more squared metal boxes. I guess the savings is in weight/ material costs?

· Administrator
12,148 Posts
Very cool and thanks. I have always wondered how/why transmissions tend to not have many flat or straight tubular planes. The cast housings make me think somebody wrapped the interior business in “so”much insulation and then pressed it into a casting mold instead of just making more squared metal boxes. I guess the savings is in weight/ material costs?
One thing that you try to do when designing castings is to keep wall thicknesses as consistent as possible so that it cools more evenly, which reduces distortion and internal stressese. Weight and material cost reduction are valid reasons are also valid reasons, and reducing interior volume reduces the quantity of lube needed, further reducing cost and weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts