Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dear old departed Dad, the 50-year auto, truck, and bus mechanic, said to always lower the jack just enough so that tire doesn't slip and rotate, then tighten the lug nuts halfway in a star pattern ... so that the wheel seats properly,

Then lower the jack all the way to the ground, and with the complete weight of the care on the wheel, tighten the lug nuts the last 50% after the wheel was fully seated. Was dear old Dad right?

PS. He also drove semi rigs cross country and Greyhound bus, we use to hitch a bus ride with him sometimes. Plus he was the ambulance driver for midget car races in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin and we 3 boys got to sit in the infield!

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
Yeah, pretty much the same here. I hand start them and spin them down with my cordless impact (approx 25 lb-ft) then lower the car and torque.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
That makes three of us that pretty much do the same thing. I hand tighten while the wheel is still in the air and then torque to spec once the wheel is on the ground. I then drive 3-4 miles to level the suspension, and then hand torque again to spec.

:thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts