Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend who deals with custom trucks told me that big *bling* wheels need their lug nuts checked for tightness more often than regular wheels. he advised i check the tourque on my 18" wheels every thousand miles.
it started me thinking... what is the correct tourque on the lug nuts? It would be good to know the tourque spec for normal maintainence items like oil changes (filter and drain plug) too. anyone have these numbers?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Here is a link to tirerack and a generic article. Torque setting should be ni the owner's manual. One caution on aluminum and alloy wheels is that you do not want to blindly use an impact wrench that 1. might be set too high and 2. would scratch the surface and allow corrosion. I carefully, very carefully use an impact wrench but final tighten by hand.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I would imagine, since the nut is a typical 19mm / 3/4" nut, that the torque spec would be the same as on the Cobalt, ION, Malibu, and older Cavalier, Sunfire...

140 Nm (or about 100 Ft-lb).

Checking every 1000 miles? A bit excessive, I think. Once properly torqued you should not need to recheck them until/if you rotate your tires.

If you do track work, though, the heat cycling could theoretically loosen your lugnuts, but the only time I've ever seen this when I've checked I was 98% certain that my crew never tightened the nuts - or the fact that both studs were stripped two wheel removals later might have contributed to them not getting the nuts tight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
100 ft/lb for the lug nuts and 25Nm for the oil filter "cap"... not sure about the drain plug but I would say not very much. Just changed the oil on my vehicle for the first time, the drain plug was tight but not REAL tight. There is a rubber gasket on the inside of the plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts