Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know its not a FWD but still. I installed the E47 tune from Vince and ran a tank through driving easy and now starting to push a little and I notice that when I get after it, the car pulls to the left. Its not horrible or uncontrollable but noticeable the same.

Is it normal? Searching brought up nothing. I know it is stronger now than before and that might be the answer or the passenger rear wheel is putting down more power than the drivers side.

Just wondering if anyone else notices this???

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
50 views and no replies?

Am I alone on this?

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is normal it has to do with the direction of the rotating mass(drive terrain). This is most noticeable in big block muscle cars but our little Kappas will show it as the tires scrabble for traction.

But Dave is correct make sure tire pressure is correct also that will help minimize it, as will a properly functioning limited slip differential and bigger or better tires.

--Christian

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Check your tires, inflation, and alignment. Do you have limited slip rear end (G80)?
Thanks Dave. Tires were new in July. I checked pressures when I got home (before reading this) since today is 50, far cry from the 100 it was when tires wentt on....and drivers rear was at 18.5 but still did not look low. Hopefully that corrects the issue. I also looked and do in fact have LS. Thanks for that code. Car seems to track straight and true when coasting. Only has 9500 miles but could still be off alignment.

This is normal it has to do with the direction of the rotating mass(drive terrain). This is most noticeable in big block muscle cars but our little Kappas will show it as the tires scrabble for traction.

But Dave is correct make sure tire pressure is correct also that will help minimize it, as will a properly functioning limited slip differential and bigger or better tires
I was thinking some of it is normal rotational torque from engine putting out more power. Tires are both bigger (275/45-18) and better (Conti DW). That was a precurser to E47.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
When the right front or left rear tire is low, it will vere to the right. The low inflated left rear will have a larger contact patch than the right rear giving the left rear more bite and pushing the car to the right. Does the rear grunt on slow tight turns?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When the right front or left rear tire is low, it will vere to the right. The low inflated left rear will have a larger contact patch than the right rear giving the left rear more bite and pushing the car to the right. Does the rear grunt on slow tight turns?
The drivers rear was low and it pulled to left so what you said was confusing. Can't say anything to the slow tight turns as I cannot recall an issue or said turn.

Hopefully get car out tomorrow for test drive to see that the pressure was the culprit.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
My completely stock EBlend auto drives straight without pull in the front but will spin badly and the back end will kick out with my stock tires. Kinda fun to pull by someone under 20mph and punch and have tires wail. Not so good for a 60ft time.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The drivers rear was low and it pulled to left so what you said was confusing. Can't say anything to the slow tight turns as I cannot recall an issue or said turn.

Hopefully get car out tomorrow for test drive to see that the pressure was the culprit.
Your OP was the car was pulling to the right and you found the left rear low which makes sense with what I stated. Now you're saying it pulls left. Now who's confusing. The reason I asked about the grunt on slow tight turns is one of the signs of a clutch pack going bad in the diff. If the right side clutch pack goes bad it will pull right.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

But Dave is correct make sure tire pressure is correct also that will help minimize it, as will a properly functioning limited slip differential and bigger or better tires.

--Christian
In a rwd car the right rear is the primarily driven. Note this. Differentials

That is why some 60's rare muscle cars came with more leaf spring in the right rear than the other side.

The crown of the road also contributes.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
That is why some 60's rare muscle cars came with more leaf spring in the right rear than the other side.
I do recall that now that you mention it.

I expect the OPs observation is related to LSD or tire pressure issues, no big deal (you want torque steer, try a high powered FWD car!).

You guys don't realize how lucky you are to have LSDs (in some). I raced for years with a welded diff in a live axle car. Crappy for pushing around the pits but very effective on the track - until it rained, at which point the car became a classic demo for the definition of understeer! (I went to a Quaife diff in recent years).

·
Super Moderator
7,519 Posts
cdnite : This is normal it has to do with the direction of the rotating mass(drive terrain). This is most noticeable in big block muscle cars but our little Kappas will show it as the tires scrabble for traction.
I don't think so. Unless the rotating mass is a significant portion of the total vehicle mass, you are not going to see an inertial reaction. Single engine airplanes do it because of the propeller, but in a car the forces are all contained in the chassis.

The wind-up you see in a drag car is due to torque, not to rotational inertia.
kwtoxman : In a rwd car the right rear is the primarily driven. Note this. Differentials

The crown of the road also contributes.
This is true for cars with live axles. It does not apply to a car with independent rear suspension and a chassis-mounted drive axle. With a live axle the springs have to keep the axle from twisting relative to the chassis. With our drive axle design all of the torque is contained in the chassis, and the springs never see it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your OP was the car was pulling to the right and you found the left rear low which makes sense with what I stated. Now you're saying it pulls left. Now who's confusing. The reason I asked about the grunt on slow tight turns is one of the signs of a clutch pack going bad in the diff. If the right side clutch pack goes bad it will pull right.
That was my mistake. Car definitely pulled to my military right...LEFT...I fixed the first post.

I filled the tires to what I want them to be, and VOILA-car stays in its lane now. I should have done a little checking to find the issue myself before posting, but I was at work and in a posting mood. It was a little nerve racking when I went to pass a car on the way to work on the right and got after it and my car seemed to intentionally aim at the one I was passing.

Yesterday, she did great with no pulling/pushing to any side and I tested her well. avg mpg went from 28.8 to 25.1 in 44 miles. It was a good day!

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That was my mistake. Car definitely pulled to my military right...LEFT...I fixed the first post.

I filled the tires to what I want them to be, and VOILA-car stays in its lane now. I should have done a little checking to find the issue myself before posting, but I was at work and in a posting mood. It was a little nerve racking when I went to pass a car on the way to work on the right and got after it and my car seemed to intentionally aim at the one I was passing.

Yesterday, she did great with no pulling/pushing to any side and I tested her well. avg mpg went from 28.8 to 25.1 in 44 miles. It was a good day!

Thanks to all.
Glad to see she's handling fine. Looks like you had a fun ride:driving:. You've got a G8 also? Nice!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep, G8 GT also....fun car also. Love the room and the V8. Sol is faster tho. I have to share the G8 with my wife, but not the Sol as she will not learn a manual...oh well, her loss.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts