Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Have you ever been caught in a torrential downpour with your top down? On a recent trip down South, as we were getting ready to leave the house, my wife and I had decided to take the top down so we could enjoy the beautiful day. The temps were not too hot and the driving would be mostly on interstate highways. About 4 hours into our journey, as we approached Nashville Tennessee, we began to see clouds accumulating but decided to continue topless because the clouds did not look too ominous. Just as we hit Nashville at rush hour no less the skies decide it was time to unleash a torrential deluge upon the commuters of this fine city. We were stuck in a downpour during rush hour traffic on the interstate in Nashville. Having to maneuver the interchanges from one highway to another at this juncture and taking into consideration there was no easy access to off ramps we continued down the road. Though the rain at times was so heavy that visibility was difficult traffic continued to flow at a good clip. We remained in good shape dry wise as long as the cars in front of us continued at a 50 MPH or greater clip. Ten minutes later we were through the Nashville traffic and the rain subsided. All in all we finished this little topless adventure with a dry cockpit and only a bit of moisture making it onto the hats we were wearing for sun protection.

This was the second time in the 7 years that we have owned Solstice GXPs that we have been caught on the highway during a deluge with our top down. During our first like experience several years ago we decided we should pull off at the next off ramp to put the top up. Boy what a mistake. As we slowed at the top of the off ramp to turn into a truck stop we were drenched.

Going on our earlier experience this time we decided to continue at as high of highway speeds as practical and experienced much less wetness.

I had always heard that doing 80 MPH on a highway during a rainstorm in a convertible with the top down will keep you dry but these experiences lead me to believe you can travel topless through a downpour with considerably less speed and still remain relatively unscathed.

>:)>:)>:)

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
My only experience was being caught in a flash flood last year near Parker, Arizona. Boulders the size of basketballs washing down the roads. Could not see past the windshield. Could not move the car for almost 10 minutes. I think our vision of torrential down pour is quite a bit different. But that is my only instance of driving in that type of weather, for that matter in any car or truck for over 60 years..

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
wow - you are daring.

at the first sight of rain, I try to go hide somewhere dry...
:leaving:

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have found that 40 to 45 mph is sufficient to keep the interior dry, maybe if it's a real drencher of a downpour, you might need to go a bit faster.

:dunno:

40-45 sounds about right. I haven't tried in in my Solstice, but I have much experience driving rental Mustangs with the top down in the rain on Kauai. The kids love stop signs and red lights...

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
It also depends how tall you are.
I'm guessing you don't pass the "broom stick" test at track events. :smile2:

I drove from north Dallas to Oklahoma City in my Boxster with the top down, in the rain for about an hour. Over 60ish it was fine. Stopping for gas was less fine, but I went ahead and left the top down. It was a nice break from the heat.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm guessing you don't pass the "broom stick" test at track events. :smile2:

I drove from north Dallas to Oklahoma City in my Boxster with the top down, in the rain for about an hour. Over 60ish it was fine. Stopping for gas was less fine, but I went ahead and left the top down. It was a nice break from the heat.
I'm 6'3". The top of my head will get damp. My wife is 5'4". She stays dry. That's at speeds as low as 40. At 60, I stay dry.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I'm sorry, I've had just the opposite experience. I've been caught in a downpour and 45mph was NOT fast enough. 70mph was NOT fast enough!! And the raindrops hurt on the side of your face and shoulder. But I'm a size 54 suit coat, so I'm broader then most. The water still goes up the windshield and over onto you too if it's coming down hard enough. But I'm pretty anal about any water in my passenger compartment. So whenever it starts to rain, I pull over immediately.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Being from Texas, I put the top up as soon as I see ominous clouds. If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait a minute.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
The GM tonneau cover works great for keeping rain out. I have been caught a couple of times and it has worked well.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
My experience was with the top up. I was in the left lane getting ready to make a left turn in a heavy rain when a pickup truck passed me on the right. He went through about a 6" puddle and completely covered me, no visibility for about 5 seconds, but I stayed dry and no one hit me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts