Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well what a farce. GM owes it's dealers something for this one. I'd suggest opening up another 1000 out of allocation as payback for the mess.

In the end I got in just under the wire to get one at 2:37 EST.

My dealer had several PCs going but at 1:58 the screens started locking up. Server too busy.....Server too busy....I knew this was trouble if their server couldn't handle 2000 people banging on it...shame on you GM...that's minor traffic to a website.

A couple of sales guys would get to 2nd screen and then it would lock up again. 2 PCs got hung up on an invalid zip code for the customer name & address. This was the zip code THEY brought back from THEIR database, it wasn't entered by the sales guy and it clearly was VALID. Those people were stuck and couldn't move forward, lost out on those orders.

You had a be pretty web savy to know if you crashed on the 2nd or 3rd screen not to go back but to just back up to previous page and start again.

My sales guy had a customer pickup so I took over after about 20 minutes. Every once and a while it would go like it was getting in and then back to main page. Page page kept saying "userid and password invalid" Several other people got that too and they said it didn't mean anything. Something told me what the heck I reset the password myself making sure caps was ON just in case I'm not sure if that did anything or I just got lucky but soon I got in, a bunch of screens, some checkboxes...qualified...blah, blah...OK boom it took.

Dealer got 2 EOPs in just under the wire. Maybe people started dropping off, don't know.

20 minutes into it the Gen Mgr was on the phone leaving a message for someone at GM about the mess they had made. He wasn't happy a happy camper with a room full of people with egg on his face.

:rant:

·
Registered
227 Posts
thanks that I am that savy....and also figured out for the dealer that you had to recheck one of the aggree'd boxes to get the submit button to ungray. I was confirmed at 2:22pm but must have hit back and submit 50-100 times over the half a dozen pages.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
MCEB, Same experience here. Second persons order didn't go through and is wait listed. Did you get a confirmation call or e-mail from GM? I havn't yet. I understand this is mandatory before they actually confirm the order. Suspect that process will take AWHILE! We need a smile for SWEATING!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I was one of those whose zipcode wasn't accepted and, as a result, did not make the 1000 cut. I'm not at all happy about it. The scene at the dealership was just as mceb described it. At one point, they had four different salesmen trying to load my information only to hit the "zipcode" problem. By 2:40pm, it was all over and the dealershiop only got two out of the five they had buyers for. Not a good day. Oh well, we'll see what happens next.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no e-mail yet from GM...probably picking the server up off the floor ;)

I had no idea what I was doing....too many damn checkboxes. There was actually a checkbox on like the 3rd or 4th screen that said customer is NOT qualified....why would you put that there? If they are not qualified I wouldn't be putting and order in. It would be real easy to click that and miss the word NOT and you'd be crapped out.

All check boxes should have been positive, yes, yes, yes...submit.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mgb2sol said:
Well, I was one of those whose zipcode wasn't accepted and, as a result, did not make the 1000 cut. I'm not at all happy about it. The scene at the dealership was just as mceb described it. At one point, they had four different salesmen trying to load my information only to hit the "zipcode" problem. By 2:40pm, it was all over and the dealershiop only got two out of the five they had buyers for. Not a good day. Oh well, we'll see what happens next.
Trust me that zip code thing along deserves attention from GM. That stopped these people DEAD IN THE WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it was their screwy edit that dropped these people out.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I completely agree about "another 1000".

Or at least accept like the first 500 waiting-list people or something. The servers hurt a lot of people.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take another 500 or 1000 off the waitlist out of allocation. It will take the pressure off dealers allocation to make up for the mess.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This just appears that it was a good idea gone bad.

Why didn't someone test this process out. Hope the Solstice is better put together than the EOP!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Typical GM website. It was totally screwed up. The servers had software glitches, they couldn't handle the traffic as it kept telling us it was 'too busy' one of our orders has a confirmation number, but doesn't show up on the reports list, one of our customer's names is showing up as the salesman on another order. We called headquarters, they are a total mess right now trying to figure it out, no one knows what is going on there! The whole thing was a mess!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I must say after reading all the horror stories, Im glad I DIDNT try for EOP, I would have shot someone. GM owes BIG appologies to people, I think not putting this order system on a server that can handle massive traffic was its most horrific mistake. They should have known what would happen, they built hype on this car for what 3 or 4 years? And it doesnt take a psychic to know that putting a big promo on a beautiful, affordable new roadster on national television would cause an incredible landslide of new interest. It makes me almost as pissed as you guys who got screwed within sight of the finish line(though I know that isn't possible). I still love the Solstice, but shame on you GM, SHAME ON YOU! :mad: :rant:

·
Registered
80 Posts
DLD84 said:
I must say after reading all the horror stories, Im glad I DIDNT try for EOP, I would have shot someone. GM owes BIG appologies to people, I think not putting this order system on a server that can handle massive traffic was its most horrific mistake. They should have known what would happen, they built hype on this car for what 3 or 4 years? And it doesnt take a psychic to know that putting a big promo on a beautiful, affordable new roadster on national television would cause an incredible landslide of new interest. It makes me almost as pissed as you guys who got screwed within sight of the finish line(though I know that isn't possible). I still love the Solstice, but shame on you GM, SHAME ON YOU! :mad: :rant:

I emailed them and told them to delete me from their mailing list I signed up to 2 years ago. I mean, what can they really tell me, I knew more than the dealers in my area.

Im thinkin bout a job at Ford.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
One screen said "5 available for this dealer" at about 2:38... and we couldn't get through.

Four minutes later, "0 available for this dealer."

We tried so hard, but couldn't get through.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When will I get my call?

Dealer called me today and said I got in on one of the two cars they are getting.. I still can't believe it. Has anyone heard from GM yet? How long before the shipment comes in? It seems that the dealer can not give me a straight answer on this....To those who did not get in on the EOP, You will get your baby soon enough :yesnod:

·
Registered
185 Posts
NJ zipcodes EOP

mceb said:
Trust me that zip code thing along deserves attention from GM. That stopped these people DEAD IN THE WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it was their screwy edit that dropped these people out.
Just to add on to Mceb & MGB2Sol's email about NJ zipcodes, my dealer had the same problem entering it in the system for the EOP. It sounded like it affected more than just us. I suspect that GM will look into some possible remedies for us NJ'ites.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its not a simple 2000 hits of web traffic, its a simple 2000 dealers, many dealers were running more than one comp, if they all ran two thats double that, some had up to 5 going, so thats a possible 10,000 hits on one server at the same time. Yes they should have known, but I don't think anyone expected there to be so much traffic/competition for the cars. Gms own website has a period of time in days that you can order the cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts