• Lightining

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If faced with a choice between the Pontiac Solstice or the Saturn Lightning in the fall of next year, and assuming the power and drive trains are very similar, and the cost is almost the same, which one would you pick? I would stick with the Solstice, as it is more the kind of styling I perfer.

I would have thought that GM would have made the Lightining quite a bit different from Solstice by maybe going to a V6 or 2+2 configuration, or something like that to position it more upscale and charge more, but it sounds like it's going to much like the Solstice with different sheet metal. Kind of like the old Camero/Firebird deal.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I haven't voted yet, because I'm not really sure. You need an unsure option :D
I really like the Vauxhall Lightning styling better then the Solstice, plus they're statement of a 6 speed tranny, and the 2.2L Supercharged L850 engine are extremely appealing to me. BUT... I really don't think the Lightning will be out until 2006 as a 2007 MY car at the earliest. And I don't know if I can wait that long really.

It really depends on how forthcoming Pontiac is going to be about Solstice features. If I find out between now and before the Solstice comes out there will be a Supercharged version then that's where my money will go. If not then I'll wait for the Lightning, or a Supercharged Solstice version if one does come out before the Lightning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Lightning. The Solstice styling doesn't really appeal to me. If the production Lightning looks at least 95% like the concept car, I have full intentions of buying one as soon as possible. If Saturn deviates from the concept car as much as Chrysler did with the Crossfire, then I will regretfully not be purchasing it as well.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Solstice due to the smooth, curved body lines. I'm guessing that the Solstice will appeal more to those who prefer retro styling and the Lightning will appear more to those who like a very modern appearance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not keen on the Lightning

It'd be the Solstice for me, hands down. Lightning's styling looks overdone, especially the lower front fascia, and those creases over the rear wheels do nothing for me. I think the Solstice is a much better looking car--Lightning's too busy...

Cheers,

Neil H.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Don't forget this is still the concept model of the Lighning. The exterior, along with other things like the engine/tranny could still change.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Solstice because it's more of a classic roaster. Lightning is nice but not my style. They offset each other nicely, each other appealing to different age groups.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Solstice. The Lightning looks good to me. Fast, exciting. But the Solstice is just a knockout. I cannot take my eyes away from it. I saw it in person at Detroit, and couldn't tear myself away. I used a lot of my camera's memory at that turntable that day!

Engines, rumor has it Caddy wants a Kappa car, and if they get one it will be the first Kappa with a V6. If they do a V6 Kappa, the 3.6L DOHC Caddy motor or the 3.9L High Feature VVT motor would be awesome in this chasis!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hope you guys are right on the info as far as Saturn will build the Lighting, I sent Saturn an email yesterday just to let them know that I will buy the Lighting as soon as they build them, but the person replied my email wrote they are happy that I like the Saturn Curve and sent me a bunch of info on the Curve, so either the customer service person doesn't know what they are talking about or Saturn still planning on building the Curve.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
None of this is official yet on Saturn so it can all change but there were a few recent references in magazines to Saturn getting the Lightening because of European pedestrian laws. That's our source of info and yes customer service may be behind on their knowledge :smile

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Solstice. Lightning looks great now but feel it will look dated in 10 years. "Classic" styling stays classic. "Cutting edge" styling dulls quickly. Time will tell.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
gmmerc5 said:
I hope you guys are right on the info as far as Saturn will build the Lighting, I sent Saturn an email yesterday just to let them know that I will buy the Lighting as soon as they build them, but the person replied my email wrote they are happy that I like the Saturn Curve and sent me a bunch of info on the Curve, so either the customer service person doesn't know what they are talking about or Saturn still planning on building the Curve.
It sounds like you got a basic generic customer service response. They probably send out the Curve info to anyone who writes them regarding future Saturn products, or Kappa platform products. Its the internet version of a form letter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts