Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a GXP automatic that is 1200 miles away. I'd like to tow-dolly the thing home with our Jeep Liberty. That means the drive wheels are down with the automatic transmission in neutral. The alternative is front wheels down and steering wheel locked. The fellow at our local U-Haul place says they do not recommend either way, but he doesn't know why. I wonder if anyone on the forum here has done it without consequences.

The alternative is to drive the GXP home but then I have to drag another person into it. I could fly there, but the trip involves visiting friends along the way. I could ditch every distraction, fly out and drive the car home, but the tow-dolly idea would be ideal.....as long as it works.

Is there a place to download a 2008 Solstice GXP manual? Maybe in there it says something about tow-dolly-ing.

An automobile trailer and Solstice together is much heavier than my Jeep Liberty can handle so that idea is off the table.

I seek your knowledge on this.

Ron without a Solstice, but working on it.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
I'm no expert but there are a couple of guys who stay at the hotel when we go to the Dream Cruise who do this , one guy drives in from Wisconsin and I think the only thing he does is remove the driveshaft . His car is a pro street Ford Fairlane with an automatic and huge rear tires .Again I've seen more than a few people do this granted not with a Solstice but I got to believe if your careful and watch your speed you should be ok .

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,229 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Rob beat me to it, again! Even though the manual recommends against towing the car, if I was to do it I'd back it onto the dolly and pull it by the front tires (less chance of transmission issues). However the front will be susceptible to low objects, inclines/declines, etc. Another option is to check into having it delivered by a professional car carrier. Which by the time you add up your travel and expenses may be equal or cheaper. Figure anywhere from $600 to a $1,000.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob beat me to it, again! Even though the manual recommends against towing the car, if I was to do it I'd back it onto the dolly and pull it by the front tires (less chance of transmission issues). However the front will be susceptible to low objects, inclines/declines, etc. Another option is to check into having it delivered by a professional car carrier. Which by the time you add up your travel and expenses may be equal or cheaper. Figure anywhere from $600 to a $1,000.
Yes, I did consider that but it is a multi-purpose trip. I will be in the general region for other reasons, making it much simpler to buy the car in-person and either tow or drive the car. home I decided to drive the car the 1200 miles home.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, I've done some thinking on this. If you tow this with the front wheels on the dolly, clearance is not the biggest issue, at least for me. My Stehl tow dolly is a lot lower than the rear fascia so if there was any thing in the road, it will hit the dolly first which is quite a rigid structure. The driveshaft has to be disconnected. The biggest issue I found is that once the car is on the dolly, the doors cannot open enough to get out. The only solution I see is to pull the car up on the dolly with a winch, while the straps will hold the car in place, the car will be free to roll away unless you winch it backwards as well. I have to bring one of my Solstices up to Connecticut next spring, so I'm hoping to have all the bugs worked out. I will update and send photos, I promise.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,229 Posts
So, I've done some thinking on this. If you tow this with the front wheels on the dolly, clearance is not the biggest issue, at least for me. My Stehl tow dolly is a lot lower than the rear fascia so if there was any thing in the road, it will hit the dolly first which is quite a rigid structure. The driveshaft has to be disconnected. The biggest issue I found is that once the car is on the dolly, the doors cannot open enough to get out. The only solution I see is to pull the car up on the dolly with a winch, while the straps will hold the car in place, the car will be free to roll away unless you winch it backwards as well. I have to bring one of my Solstices up to Connecticut next spring, so I'm hoping to have all the bugs worked out. I will update and send photos, I promise.
The Solstice Owner's Manual says not to do it:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
This has been discussed many times in the past. The conclusion has always been that there are things you can do like dropping the driveline but that it is NOT recommended.

·
Super Moderator
5,953 Posts
Florida to Connecticut? No way would I do that. Aside from the fact (as Dave pointed out - again) that it is not recommended for mechanical reasons, it is just too much road damage exposure.

Have you looked into the cost of a car trailer rental? U-Haul will rent a trailer in Orlando to take to Hartford on April 1st for $348.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess I'm a bit of a rebel, in my spare time I cut labels off of mattresses LOL. Again my tow dolly is much lower than the rear of the car. I've made 22 trips with other cars. My GM tech said that he saw no issue with disconnecting the driveshaft, I have already crafted a bracket to hold it during transport. Someone has to be first.

·
Super Moderator
5,953 Posts
I guess I'm a bit of a rebel, in my spare time I cut labels off of mattresses LOL. Again my tow dolly is much lower than the rear of the car. I've made 22 trips with other cars. My GM tech said that he saw no issue with disconnecting the driveshaft, I have already crafted a bracket to hold it during transport. Someone has to be first.
Unless you are a retailer, cutting tags off of mattresses isn't exactly living on the edge. I would be far more worried about body damage than the driveline, but its not my car.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Body damage is an issue with any car on a tow dolly, and I've learned you cannot make sharp turns, and its very difficult to backup. As I stated I've made 22 round trips (approx 53k miles) over these many years, with both front wheel and rear wheel drives and never had a problem with the vehicle in tow. In any event, it will be a Youtube video.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
DO NOT USE A TOW DOLLY. I've damaged a car that had more ground clearance than a Solstice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Body damage is an issue with any car on a tow dolly, and I've learned you cannot make sharp turns, and its very difficult to backup. As I stated I've made 22 round trips (approx 53k miles) over these many years, with both front wheel and rear wheel drives and never had a problem with the vehicle in tow. In any event, it will be a Youtube video.
Did any of those cars manuals tell you NOT to use a tow dolly?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
when I bought my Solstice, I had it delivered from Connecticut to charlotte by car carrier for $400.00. Doubt I could have driven up there and towed it back for that price, considering motels and such.

Bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts