Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0504/26/C01-162413.htm

Although there are other reasons, the article indicates it could raise prices in part to try an avert an anti-Toyota backlash if GM's plight gets too bad. Sounds to me like they are just trying to put a positive spin on prices they intend to raise anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I just find all the comments from Toyota about "we're raiing our prices so we can make more profit because we're at max production because we want to give GM a hand." :D :willy:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Didn't see this news until my son pointed it out to me. In a weird sort of way it makes sense for Toyota to raise prices. GM does need either the ability to raise or stabilize prices, or let the UAW loose on Toyota. Toyota doesn't want the UAW and will only benefit from raising prices as I predict market shares will remain unchanged and just overall profits will go up in auto industry. Cost of steel could be underlying factor as my area went through a rash of surcharges last year and increases this year in hardgoods made with steel. It could also be a development of change in dollar to yen affecting this but the spin they put on it sounds better and makes Toyota the salvation of the industry instead of the villain that bankrupt GM.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brentil said:
I just find all the comments from Toyota about "we're raiing our prices so we can make more profit because we're at max production because we want to give GM a hand." :D :willy:
The worst part about this is that Toyota can essentially raise prices, which raises their profit, and continue to hold their current market share. That gives them even more money to pour into R&D for even better vehicles, or also try and fast track more alternative fuel and hybrid powertrain vehicles. Certainly not good news for the Detroit automakers.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
HHR pricing

Rather than start a new thread, I just thought I would extend this one. Chevy just announced starting price of HHR (the almost PT cruiser lookalike) at $15990. Now that is aggressive pricing for this segment. I'm sure you can option one up to close to 30 but at 16k these things will be as ubiquitous as as the PT.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
achieftain said:
Rather than start a new thread, I just thought I would extend this one. Chevy just announced starting price of HHR (the almost PT cruiser lookalike) at $15990. Now that is aggressive pricing for this segment. I'm sure you can option one up to close to 30 but at 16k these things will be as ubiquitous as as the PT.
I started a thread about the HHR pricing over here last week.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2415

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
achieftain said:
It does appear to be competitive pricing for the segment. Especially when you consider there will likely be some sort of incentive on top of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts