·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ugly marketing

Gotta say that I agree with the Hyundai exec's "like a vampire" comment. Specifically targeting Toyota customers with a problem car is more likely to irritate an already ticked-off car owner than it will call attention to GM quality.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Vampire, my ass! Great move by GM. If I was in the last few months of my Camry or Corolla lease, I'd be test-driving a Malibu tomorrow.
Toyota used to make ho-hum cars with bullet-proof reliability; now they just make ho-hum cars.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also think it is a great move by GM.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Vampire,? they(none american car companies have been doing this for YEARs), caram is a Bit**. 19 people have died do to this i read, remember the Ford Pinto. If this was a GM issue ever pundant car blog and all other companies would be all over this like flies on sh**.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the Vibe is made by Toyota at the NUMMI plant in California. For years it was the lowest quality vehicle in Pontiac's lineup.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
But what you don’t hear is the 2009 & 2010 Pontiac Vibe is also on the list for the recall. [/url]
Actually that was how I first found out about the Vibe. They announced it on the news this morning as being part of Toyota's recall list.;)

·
5,641 Posts
Silver_Ghost said:
Did anyone here know that the Pontiac Vibe is actually made by Toyota??? I guess it's the Matrix underneath.
The Pontiac Vibe was never made by Toyota. All Pontiac Vibes were made by NUMMI in California.

Both the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota's copy of it, the Matrix, are Corollas underneath.

·
5,641 Posts
HUH said:
But what you don’t hear is the 2009 & 2010 Pontiac Vibe is also on the list for the recall.
That is because the original media outlets ignored the Vibe's on the "sticky gas pedal" list when the story broke. From there the story was copied by most other media outlets without research

Silver_Ghost said:
Actually that was how I first found out about the Vibe. They announced it on the news this morning as being part of Toyota's recall list.
Today they are talking about the 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibes being added to the October recall for "floor mats and gas pedals".

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Pure genius. Is it predatory? Damn right. It's the auto business. Imagine what the press would be if EXACTLY the same equipment issue came up within GM. GM would be thrown under EVERY bus available for covering their ass, while Toyota is being praised for being out front of the issue. BS. In November they claimed the problem wasn't a concern, then it was recommended to remove the floor mat, then they had a TSB and then a recall, and now this. If GM had NOT mounted a sales campaign they would have been fools. Ford is doing the same campaign here while shutting down production of Chinese built products for EXACTLY the same problem. What amazes me about GM is how FAST they moved on this. BRAVO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
The Pontiac Vibe was never made by Toyota. All Pontiac Vibes were made by NUMMI in California.

Both the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota's copy of it, the Matrix, are Corollas underneath.
This statement makes no sense! If the Vibe was never made by Toyota, and you just said the the Corolla was the actual car underneath, then it must be a TOYOTA. Because the Corolla IS a Toyota. Right?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts
This statement makes no sense! If the Vibe was never made by Toyota, and you just said the the Corolla was the actual car underneath, then it must be a TOYOTA. Because the Corolla IS a Toyota. Right?
NUMMI is a joint venture between Toyota and GM. The Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe were produced at this plant using a mix of different technologies.

Just as the Solstice, Sky and Opel GT were built on a GM Kappa chassis, so the Matrix and Vibe were built on a chassis that originated with the Toyota Corolla.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Interesting thread re: Vibe vs. Matrix. The NUMMI plant is (was) a joint venture, so the workers work for a company owned by BOTH Toyota and GM. As far as the car itself - a Vibe is a Toyota Corrola wagon, just like the Matrix. I steered my girlfriend towards the Vibe a few years ago when she wanted a Matrix, and it has Toyota controls, a Toyota engine, and the newest ones have the same problematic Toyota accelerator. And that's why they are included in the recall.

Remember Geo? NUMMI workers built Geo Prizms along with it's mechanically-identical twin, the Corolla sedan.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Let's not get too high on the proverbial horse. :nono:

Toyota doesn't make the pedal in question. They used a 'Good Ole U S of A' company for that. In fact, Ford just added a vehicle to the recall. You never know who's next?

AutoBlog said:
The accelerators in question – subject to recall for sticking and causing unintended acceleration – are made by CTS Corp, based in Elkhart, Indiana. While CTS makes throttle pedal assemblies for other automakers, Toyota and Ford are the only companies thus far to announce production stoppages.

·
Registered
352 Posts
NUMMI is a joint venture between Toyota and GM. The Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe were produced at this plant using a mix of different technologies.

Just as the Solstice, Sky and Opel GT were built on a GM Kappa chassis, so the Matrix and Vibe were built on a chassis that originated with the Toyota Corolla.
I believe that the Vibe was made in California, and the Matrix is made in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. That is where my Matrix came from....

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Let's not get too high on the proverbial horse. :nono:

Toyota doesn't make the pedal in question. They used a 'Good Ole U S of A' company for that. In fact, Ford just added a vehicle to the recall. You never know who's next?
From up here on a horse, Toyota (and ANY other parts purchaser) approves for use the part(s) in question. Ditto the testing, QC, and maybe even the design of the piece(s). That is what product liability insurance is about (for the vendor). Toyota chose those parts, Toyota is responsible for those parts, and that is about that.

Does the media (and many owners) scream at Getrag about our diffs? Hell no, they scream at GM. And rightly so, because GM chose that piece, knew its problems, and still installed it (unchanged) in the Kappas.

1 - 20 of 869 Posts