Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
following on from my previous post about my tpms light being on - my vehicle check (known as an MOT over here in the UK) is due in the next couple of months so I have to somehow try and turn of the light - this means I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy 4 tpms’ and get them put in.

can anyone please recommend which ones to buy for my 2008 which will not need a dealer to retune them as of course being in the UK is not an option.

many thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,446 Posts
When you replace the sensors, you need to have the car "relearn" the new sensors. There is a procedure in the owners manual. You put the DIC into learn mode, then the car will start to flash the left headlight. You lower the pressure in that tire a couple of pounds and the horn will honk. Then the rear tail light will start to blink. Repeat until all four corners are learned. Its fairly easy to perform but it works better with two people. Just over fill the tires a few pounds then do the procedure. They should be able to perform the process for you.

To get the sensors installed, you need to take it to a tire store to have the tires demounted and the sensors installed. T

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you replace the sensors, you need to have the car "relearn" the new sensors. There is a procedure in the owners manual. You put the DIC into learn mode, then the car will start to flash the left headlight. You lower the pressure in that tire a couple of pounds and the horn will honk. Then the rear tail light will start to blink. Repeat until all four corners are learned. Its fairly easy to perform but it works better with two people. Just over fill the tires a few pounds then do the procedure. They should be able to perform the process for you.

To get the sensors installed, you need to take it to a tire store to have the tires demounted and the sensors installed. T
Thanks - I had read somewhere that some tpms’ don’t learn by doing it that way and have to go to a dealer - which I of course cannot do.
Any recommendations for which ones to buy?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not necessary but makes the re-learn process easier and its cheap.

I have to maintain a fleet of vehicles with my family so its just a time saver when rotating tires.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Rob Rob Rob. Would it not just be the signal interpreted into a "unit" by the BCM?

No, I'm really starting to question my logic here - wouldn't be that way?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So consensus is the ones above from rock auto should be ok? As you can imagine - I can’t afford for them not to work as living in the UK our shops may not have option to reset the tpms’ :)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
So consensus is the ones above from rock auto should be ok? As you can imagine - I can’t afford for them not to work as living in the UK our shops may not have option to reset the tpms’ :)

Thanks
Assuming their description is correct, and I see no reason to think otherwise, yes.

Rock Auto is pretty reliable, and I have never had a problem with their products, but I have no experience with that particular item.

·
Registered
462 Posts
the TPMS system is user programmable on GM cars. I believe it is by pressing and holding the lock and unlock buttons on your key fob at the same time for more then 5 or 10 seconds. You want to be standing at your drivers side front tire when you do this. The horn should honk once and the turn signal on that corner of the car will flash. let the air out of the tire until you hear it honk. once that happens you should move to the passenger front tire and that turn signal should be flashing. Once again release the air from the tire until you hear the horn honk. move to the back passenger tire.. once you do the last tire the horn should honk 2 times letting you know that the system has reprogrammed all of the sensors. If the car fails to learn a sensor it will honk more then one time. I think it might be 3 times I would have to look.

after you have finished the learn routine make sure that all of the tires are within 10% of the average of the other 3. Best to just put them all at the same pressure but if no compressor is available to you at that time you can check them. This is going to let you know if one of the pressures is off far enough for the light to not go out.

You will know that everything is good when you get the car over 25KPH. this is when the light will go out if everything is in good standing. It may take several kilometers above 25KPH before it happens. If the light does not go out but you have a pressure that is lower by more then 10% then you will need to put air in that tire. and then repeat the above to get the light to go out.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
There is a difference between programming the sensor and having the car learn the sensors, hence the concern about pre-programmed sensors.

·
Registered
462 Posts
OK there was a confusion on my part with the verbage. You want a sensor that is pre programmed to the vehicle. This does not mean it is programmed to you vehicle specifically, it means that the sensor is programmed with the year make and model of your vehicle so it knows how to "talk" to your car. Universal sensors that work with many year makes and models of cars need to be taught how to talk to the car. This is how the term "programming" is being used.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I bought the TPMS’s above. Anyone know what torque setting for the nut on the stem is to be?

many thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
I have not found an official specification for that specific sensor, but the most common torque listed is 35 lb-in / 4.0 N-m.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts