Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a necessity to replace the tpms fitings when you put new tires on? If it is what do they beat you up for, for new ones?
Sorry if this has been here befor but havn't seen it if it has.:lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is it a necessity to replace the tpms fitings when you put new tires on? If it is what do they beat you up for, for new ones?
Sorry if this has been here befor but havn't seen it if it has.:lol:
If you're talking about "tire pressure monitor", it should be replaced, could be a safety concern, I would replace it myself.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The batteries are supposed to be rated for ten years. But I am sure that is in ideal conditions. :lol: The TPMS sensor/stem kits run about $160-180 for a set of 4. I can tell you that I have two 2008 Skys with the OEM sensors and no failures yet. I also purchased one extra set of sensors for my winter wheels/tires on my car. If a sensor does fail, you should instantly know because it will lose connection with the ECM and throw a warning on the dash. (If I forget to reset the the TPMS system when changing wheels, it takes the car about 30 seconds to throw a warning on the dash. :lol:)

The tire shop will always want to at least replace the seal kit in the stems if you are reusing your old sensors/stems; and that is a good idea to prevent leaks around the stem.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just changed tires and I never changed the sensors, at my shop we typically only replace them if there is a failure. I wouldn't worry about changing them unless there is some kind of problem ie: a slow leak or a tpms light on the dash

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
I have reused sensors multiple times over the course of several years. Unless they are handled improperly, there is no reason to not reuse them and you can save a lot of $$$

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I'm with most folks here. I would only replace them if the were approaching 10 years of service or throwing an error.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I can't recall for sure, but it seems as though I saw a "repair kit" that included new batteries, stem seals, caps and replacement valve stem valves. But the cost savings wasn't that much. I was thinking the battery and transmitter are one part?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts