Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
When installing a TPMS should the wheels be balanced again ?
Given you have to remove the tires, install the sensors/transponders and reinstall the tires... Then YES you'll have to re-balance!

No idea on the one you show... I assume you don't have factory TPMS? (If you do, or did, you can just get GM-compatible sensors and reuse the readout in the DIC.)

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
The TPMS sensor is heavier than the non TPMS valve assembly. I have had tires removed and replaced without rebalancing in the past so I know it can be done but for the price and considering you are adding weight to the assembly, I would go for the rebalance.

My TPMS system on Punisher is me. :)

I thought about adding it but its such a pain on the other vehicles that I am almost glad that I do not have it on the 07

An alternative you might consider is I found a pressure sensitive valve cap that contains a bright led light and a sensor. You set the tire pressure where you want it, then install the sensor valve cap. If the pressure goes down by 3 psi, the valve cap lights up the LED and you can easily tell via visual inspection that you have a low tire. Not prefect but it works.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sensors can easily be installed without removing the tire from the rim. I have changed a couple.

Deflate tire and break bead, hydraulic arm will hold tire out of way for valve stem change. Without the arm, brute force works but easier with 3 hands.

I always recommend rebalancing the tire afterwards. Tires can benefit from rebalancing after as little as 3000 miles. Larger tires change more than smaller tires, but 1/2 ounce off balance is easier felt on smaller tires. I run centramatics on my trucks to help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts