Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know I've asked about this before and everyone told me it was time to replace my brakes. I have now added brake fluid on 4 different occassions, about every 2 weeks and it's been larger amounts of fluid! And my dealer said I still have about 5000 miles left (same thing they tell me everytime I've taken my car in). I have no signs of leaks anywhere. Is it possible the clutch slave cylinder is leaking just enough that it's not causing any issues with the clutch? Or is it to the point where I just need brakes? I mean, I'm not going to add brake fluid every 2 to 3 weeks to this car! The reason I'm saying about the clutch leaking is it seems to happen at the exact same point in my drive every time! About 10 minutes into my drive....and it seems to happen at the same area of my drive as well....

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would tend to agree with you guys, but the brake fluid level is always down when this happens. Add more brake fluid, the light doesn't come on again for about 3 weeks till it goes down again.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
If you are putting it in, then it has to be coming out somewhere. If its not at the wheels . . . the dreaded clutch hydraulic hose and / or throwout assembly is a candidate. And an expensive one at that.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A tech here at work seems to think its just an issue with that turn. He seems to think for a split second the wheel speed sensors all register different speeds and the computer doesn't like it. Therefore throwing the Trac off, abs off and brake light. Is there anyway to pull the code on this?

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clutch actuator (24249824) lists for $158.54, so the part would probably be $99.00 for OEM, $75.00 from Autozone! But its the labor to put it in....if that's it I'll replace the clutch right away, anad it's going to cost me A LOT of beer!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
The alerts should not illuminate while executing a turn. The software is designed to operate invisibly until there is a specific set of conditions detected. Then it acts. Those conditions take into account normal differential wheel speeds in normal driving.

When the TC or ESC activated, it displays momentarily on the DIC. If you are getting idiot lights coming on that indicate " check ABS" or similar message, I can not recall the specific language, then the BCM is detecting an unalloyed state and sets the equivalent of a check engine light. The check light can extinguish if the BCM does not see an error for a set number of key checked.

I believe the ESC. and. ABS codes are stored in the BCM not the ECM. Codes are set but I am not sure how you access them. I can ask Devin. He would know. Or member GMTECH

If you are regularly adding brake fluid, check the transmission for leakage. It's upwards of $1300 at a dealer for labor to pull the transmission. You and a friend could probably do it, it's not a huge challenge. Just messy and labor intensive.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rob, if you can look into it for me, I would apprectiate it. I did look up clutch replacement at work and it's about $930.... I think it was around 8 hours.... But your right, I can get the clutch kit for around $200, and the slave cylinder is probably around $100....

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found out why I've had to add brake fluid.....a loose hose! Tightened up, no more leak. I haven't really cleaned my car up yet, so I didn't realize there was fluid on the inside of the rim until we got it in the air. I also didn't know that the inside area of the rim is chrome! NICE!!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hey everyone i had a questions. Brake fluid during cold temp does it shrink? Like things in heat tend to expand and in cold it shrinks. The reason i ask is in 3 occasions. During cold temp. I get the brake fluid msg in the DIC followed along with service trac. ESC off. Theres one more but forgot. Then when i turn on the car the next time its fine. But it is in cold temp when it only happens.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I had the same problem several years ago with an old Chevy. Turned pout the brake fluid was dripping onto a hot exhaust pipe and evaporating almost immediately. Just something to keep in mind for this type of trouble.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Most likely a weak electrical connection response to heat/cold.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is less "fluid" in cold weather. I will say though that it happened a lot more when it was cold vs. when it was warmer outside.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Brake fluid volume does not change within it's operating temp range -40 to 260C so temp will not cause a drop in the fluid.

If you read you owners manual it will state that you do not need to add fluid to reservoir but if you do it indicates there is probably a problem which you discovered.

ABS DTC codes are stored in the ECU, an inexpensive ($100) reader can pull the codes, although I'm not sure they have the ability to clear. Some auto parts stores can pull them and you can look them up on the web.

BTW, brake fluid on a hot exhaust can burn!!

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bluesulfur, check the lines going into your brake calipers first. Mine was the right rear. If they're leaking, you'll have a ring on the inside of your rim most likely. It that's not it, maybe it's time for new brakes? Does your brake pedal fall to the floor with even pressure? If so, your brake booster is leaking... If that's not it, the only other thing it could possibly be (if you can't find leaks anywhere else) would be the slave cylinder for your clutch inside the transmission....a very EXPENSIVE repair! Replace the clutch right away if that's the case. My bet though is you have a leak in your brake line somewhere. What you're describing is exactly what mine was doing...it was leaking just enough on that connection to not be too bad or noticeable at first. You should be able to look at the connections through the outside of your rims too.... What really had me confused was that it happened at the same place in my commute every time! About 10 minutes into my drive going around a specific corner....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks everyone for the response. Its just odd that it only happens in cold weather. Sure hope its nothing to bad. As for my brakes it seems fine i don't have to press the pedal all the way to the floor to come to a stop. At times it feels a bit low. So what i was going to do is just bleed the brakes. The only other problem i can think of as someone suggested was a squeaky noise noise i get could possibly be the throwout bearings But not 100% sure if its that haven't gone under the car yet to listen to it. Anyway the issues link together?
I haven't checked the caliper at from the inside when i first noticed the issue i just looked at the rim to see if any fluid was on it. But saw nothing once weather clears up ill check it out.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you've never flushed your brakes, the fluid could have a lot of water in it by now. That could cause weird problems. Certainly more compressibility (and low pedal).

I would flush and bleed the brakes and go from there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts