Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the Sky RL to an early morning track day at Firebird Raceway (West track) yesterday and wanted to report on how the car did. The track time started at 6:00 AM and we ran four 20 min. sessions. All groups were done by 10:00 AM. I was in the first group which was best given the temps this time of year in Phoenix. I was running stock suspension and stock brakes. I had new Conti Extreme DW tires just installed (265-40-17) which are a bit wider than stock tires. I ended up running 40psi rear and 38psi front hot which seemed to give the best balance.

The track is short (about 1.3 miles) and is technical with only one 1/3 mile straight. I hit 90mph on that straight most times. There were three areas that used brakes. I had replaced the brake fluid with Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 and they did not fade all day. I had the stock pads and rotors from the factory (28k miles). I had actually ordered some Cobalt pads and new rotors, but they did not come in in time to use. It didn't matter as the stock setup worked great.

The tires ran as expected with predictable break away. I pretty much drifted all fours in every corner and generally lost ground to those with real race tires. Proverbial knife at a gun fight. I was actually surprised at the tires staying consistent lap after lap as they were very predictable. Wear was better than expected too given the temps which started at 87 (5:00 AM) and hit 100 by about 10 AM.

Coolant temp. was another story. The first two sessions were good with temps only rising to 220. I was running a 17 psi tune btw. At 8:00 AM, my third session started and after three laps, temps started rising. By the fifth lap, it rose to nearly 250 and the temp alarm went off getting my attention. It snuck up on me so I backed off the next lap and temps dropped back to under 220 before I pushed it again. After that, I could push it two laps before it hit 230, where I would back off to cool it, then hit it for another two laps.

Day was fun and the car is pretty balanced. I don't plan on upgrading to do more track days as I have a dedicated track car (in the shop) but if I did, after some stickier rubber, I would add a stiffer springs/shock combo coupled with a stiffer rear swaybar. There was more lean and dive than I liked overall and it understeered more than I like in the sharp turns. A rear spoiler/wing would be nice to in the fast sweepers as it tended to get a little light in the rear.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Sounds like you had an awesome day, I used to love track days but they made me feel guilty for beating on my GXP like that lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts