Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traction and Stability control is an option available on the MX-5 Miata, but not on the Solstice. I also see that many cars also offer this option. Since the Solstice is a roadster, shouldn't it have been offered as an option? Now, I want to get the general opinion, about whether Traction and Stability control are important in a roadster. Also, the Solstice does have an option for ABS brakes, and Limited Slip Differential. I've heard those offer some sort of traction and stability control, but is that true?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Isn't traction control available on the Sky?

Electronic traction control doesn't really fit with the whole "back to basics" concept :yesnod:

... of course, neither does ABS ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have traction control on my Bimmer and I really noted the lack of that sweet gizmo driving the Solstice hard in the curves. The back end does get loose if you kick it hard. But for a car that was designed for the $20K bracket you have to leave off the fancy electronic gizmos like traction control. You get what you pay for and not a nickel more...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wouldn't traction control CAUSE the rear tires not to slide.

I think you're just missing the a relative lack of power.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Limited slip is not the same as traction control where selective braking is applied to keep the rear tires glued to the pavement.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
JetBlackE31 said:
I have traction control on my Bimmer and I really noted the lack of that sweet gizmo driving the Solstice hard in the curves. The back end does get loose if you kick it hard. But for a car that was designed for the $20K bracket you have to leave off the fancy electronic gizmos like traction control. You get what you pay for and not a nickel more...
Hey! That was MY Solstice you were driving! :brentil: :cuss:

:glol: You took me pretty seriously when I told ya not to worry about beating on it, huh? Good. Did I even tell you that mine doesn't have ABS? Did you figure it out? Just so ya know next time, it has no ABS ;) Check it out, just don't flat-spot my tires... well, I DO want new tires :devil:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've never had traction control until my Boxster. I've had it for a couple of weeks and I must say it is a confidence booster. I have been able to break it loose...I did get a wee bit of four wheel float one time...I haven't driven in wet weather to see how what the impact is in such conditions.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
JetBlackE31 said:
HUH? Did somebody call me? Oh, I guess not. Back to sleep. zzzzzzz :leaving:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I've found that good tires, antilock brakes, and a locking rear are pretty much all you need. The high end dynamic stability control on the Vette is nice but with only 170 horsepower I don't think it's necessary. The extra weight and cost won't be missed for most Soltice owners.

If you need tracton control, you probably shouldn't be driving a RWD roadster. With the 5-speed you can add as much torque as you want with different gear selection. A 2nd gear or even 3rd gear start in my 600 horsepower Camaro helps me survive the winter commute. I keep the stability control off in my Camaro in the snow because I can't get anywhere with it on.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
bradyb said:
A 2nd gear or even 3rd gear start in my 600 horsepower Camaro helps me survive the winter commute.
Ahh one of the two secrets to accellerating from a stop in snow. The other is "don't stop."

...but with the gear-ratio spread in the Solstice, I don't think a 3rd gear start would be easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts