Traction Control

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the traction control button?

I was going over the photos of the interiors for both the Solstice and Sky. The Sky has a traction control button on the dash, but where is it on the Solstice? :nonod:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I don't believe Traction Control is an option on the Solstice. So, no button. Sorry. :(

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The Solstice is the back-to-basics, cheaper, Kappa sibling. The Sky is the more expensive, luxry, Kappa child. We know the Solstice will eventually get traction control because GM has said all cars will have it eventually. It might be some kind of issue also where the Sky gets a simpler 'luxury' tuned traction control. I'm betting it might take more to tune/program a traction control system for sport purposes then normal day to day driving because the Solstice is supposed to be the 'performance' version. I mainly just hope that when we do get traction control it does have a sport mode like the Corvette.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dengel said:
I don't believe Traction Control is an option on the Solstice. So, no button. Sorry. :(
What? No traction control on the Solstice :cuss: What the heck is Pontiac thinking by not including this option of a small rear wheel drive car. I like fish-tailing the rear out with the best of them, but when driving around in the wet or cold you need this option.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
brentil said:
The Solstice is the back-to-basics, cheaper, Kappa sibling. The Sky is the more expensive, luxry, Kappa child. We know the Solstice will eventually get traction control because GM has said all cars will have it eventually. It might be some kind of issue also where the Sky gets a simpler 'luxury' tuned traction control. I'm betting it might take more to tune/program a traction control system for sport purposes then normal day to day driving because the Solstice is supposed to be the 'performance' version. I mainly just hope that when we do get traction control it does have a sport mode like the Corvette.
I don't think so, have you driven the C6 Corvette? Turn all the electronic controls off and you are back to a 60's style ride (hangs out in every corner). When it's on, you can't get it to slide, no matter how stupid you try to be in it.

Just because the Sky has more luxury than the Solstice doesn't make it any less of a performance car. You maybe kidding yourself if you think the Solstice is going to outperform the Sky (they are the same drivetrains). The only benefit I see about the Solstice is you can buy it stripped, but having more performance; don't think so...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I think it would be a good option, and hope that future model years will incorporate it.

Remember that the Solstice had a very short concept-to-market time. When a company is trying to shorten the initial time-to-market for an item, it is pretty typical for the initial release to only "meet" the designers requirements, while leaving room in the design for additional upgrades later.

For those who really want more bells and whistles, I am sure they will be available in a few more years.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Wouldn't mind if they offered it as an option but I know I wouldn't be buying it. The two or three times a decade it freezes down here, I'll just take my chances.

·
Registered
198 Posts
dengel said:
Remember that the Solstice had a very short concept-to-market time.
Er, um, I don't know about you, but I'm still waiting for that "market" end of the short concept-to... :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Once again I think this is an example of how people want the Solstice to be a certain way despite its bargain basement pricing. The Solstice is meant to be priced at the bottom of the market. GM cannot load it up with all kinds of goodies in that price range, whether it is traction control, HID headlights, HUD displays, hardtop convertables, V6 engines, or whatever else people desire. I know we all love the styling, and want the car to fit our other desires just as well. However, the reality is that this car is meant to be a "back to basics" roadster with minimal options and frills.

A 177 HP RWD roadster on all season tires doesn't need traction control anyway. Its not like this car is oozing tons of power like a Corvette that you need an electronic nanny to keep you from liquifying your tires constantly, or would be at serious risk in inclement weather because of dedicated summer tires. Wouild it be nice? Sure. I think stabilitrack would be even nicer. However, this car is not meant to be loaded with tons of features.

Luckily for people who really want them, there is teh Saturn Sky. Same great chassis, somewhat different but still good looking styling, all the electronic gewjaws your wallet can handle! :)

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
:agree:
I just hope the price of the SKY when it comes out is not to much more than a loaded SOL.
As far as some of the things that people would like the car to have, there is the option of after market add ons.
S/C, Turbo's, etc...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Delnari said:
What? No traction control on the Solstice :cuss: What the heck is Pontiac thinking by not including this option of a small rear wheel drive car.
Good! Maybe it'll attract more customers who can actually drive instead of all the idiots who need an auto-pilot just to keep them on the road. People who can't handle it can go buy something else. Keeps the Sol more of a driver's car.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I was thrilled to be able to order a limited slip differential.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Limited-slip, no traction

I've owned 2 Crown Victorias and my first one had traction control with an open differential, and the current one has no traction control, but a limited-slip differential.

Between the two options, screw traction control. It just gets in the way and holds me back. When it snowed around here this past winter, I could give my limited-slip a lot of gas on a turn and, of course, the rear end would come around, but when I had the traction control, I couldn't even get out of a parking space. I had to turn it OFF in order to get out. As long as you know how to control the rear end, you'll be fine, and have a little fun too. :)

Now if does something for handling, by using the front brakes, that's different. But just applying the brakes to rear wheels, it's crap.

"Now that's just my opinion, I may be wrong." - Dennis Miller

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can anyone simply explain what is the difference between LSD (as in limited slip differential, not the mind altering drug, lol) and traction control?

I think I remember reading in another thread that traction control is the same as GM's stability control, but I'm not sure how LSD ties into this...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A limited slip differential is a mechanical component between the two rear wheels that divides the torque from the engine between those two wheels, sending more power to the wheel with more grip. If one rear wheel is spinning or has low grip, it will send more of the power to the wheel with greater grip.

Traction control generally is a device that applies brakes at individual wheels that are slipping to stop the slip, and it can also cut back on engine power to stop the slipping. So if one rear wheel is slipping, the TC could apply the brake at that wheel so it can regain traction, it may cut throttle (power) to slow the wheel down, or both.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Stability control takes it one step further by differentially applying braking (and power in an AWD system) to all four wheels to reduce the risk of loss of traction and rollover.

A cheap alternative is to remove the lead from the sole of your right boot!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts