Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Trade LION-O and start over or keep modding?

• Sky Redline

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Keep Modding

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Sell it outright

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I counter offered i'd sell it for $25000 lol long shot?

Votes: 3 15.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my GXP for an oil change and the dealer fell in love with it! They offered me $16000 for the car on the spot or trade it for the sky redline they have on the lot.

Yes or no or keep on modding the current beast?

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
This reminds me of mail from dealerships asking to buy my car. In other words it may be a sales tactic. Offer high trade in value refuse to budge on new vehicle price. Only reason to choose one Kappa over another is if you prefer the styling, which is a valid reason.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they are both turbo and the only reason i liked the sky was the headlights and front bumper, i figured that can be easily fixed by traxx customs and norms?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Known car vrs unknown car.
:agree:

As our cars age, there's no telling how someone did, or didn't take care of them.

When I shopped my car, I came across two that looked identical on paper: same year, same mileage, 98% same options. Both only 2 years old. But on inspection, the car I didn't choose had mold in the trunk and interior, interior plastics in pretty bad shape and, without more technical evidence, "drove funny." All that only suggests how they did or didn't maintain the stuff I couldn't see. Price difference? $1,000 more for the better-kept car.

I say keep what you have unless the offer is SO good that it would matter less that you ran into issues with a replacement (e.g., your $25k counter offer.) I would think you could probably get $16000 just selling it on autotrader.com.

:jm2c:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just re-read your post "Mean GXP Sneek peek!"

You've got a decent amount of nice mods invested in this car. And although I don't think it's realistic for anyone to expect to fully recover mod costs, $16,000 seems awfully lowball for as nice as your car looks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
umm.... I was going to get another SKY.

Really don't like the GXP, however after seeing an 08 in Black I may have to get a GXP so I have one of each.
I don't disagree with having one of each, man... I've got my AT search set for Solstice Coupes, too, so....

But the only car I'd give up my Sky RL for would maybe be an '09 RL in Ruby Red or an '08 Carbon Flash... if either were fully loaded and a steal, at that. Even then, I'd undo the mods I could to put them in the new car. :)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'm with Rob on this one. You know the ins and outs of your car and have no idea about the other. ask him to let you drive it for a week before you decide.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you are happy with what you have keep it. You know that car especially IF you had it since brand new. Versus a Sky redline that you have absolutely NO history on AND have no idea if it was abused.. I would keep what I know.. However, IF the offer is good, and you want to gamble on the Sky, have it, but be prepared for issues..
If you don't love what you have, sell it..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are happy with what you have keep it. You know that car especially IF you had it since brand new. Versus a Sky redline that you have absolutely NO history on AND have no idea if it was abused.. I would keep what I know.. However, IF the offer is good, and you want to gamble on the Sky, have it, but be prepared for issues..
If you don't love what you have, sell it..
I haven't had the car since brand new i had it since JAN of this year and its only been driven 8 times in total lol.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
I took my GXP for an oil change and the dealer fell in love with it! They offered me $16000 for the car on the spot or trade it for the sky redline they have on the lot.

Yes or no or keep on modding the current beast?
I think it's a dealer come-on. Dealers don't fall in love with cars. They fall in love (or lust) with money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.