Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Latest from the distribution updates system for GM Dealer World.
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/ -> MY 2006 ->Distribution Updates Cars/Light Trucks
Distribution Updates
Updates for Solstice
Week of 6/27/2005
Effective 6/27/2005, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

• Trailering section-Deleted section entirely.
There used to be a section mentioning the ability to tow 1000 lbs. This was more then liekly left over from when they copied the template to make the Solstice information.

I kinda have a question related to this too. Even though it doesn't have a rated trailoring rating, is it still possible to put a small trailer on a car like this? Realisticly one below 500 lbs? I've finally come across someone with the Track Day trailer I've been trying to get my hands on, and was going to get it from them with the idea of hooking it up to the Solstice once I could get a hide-away trailer hitch designed for the car. However with this trailering info removed is this still a good idea? I know I've seen small trailers on Malibus and that car is missing trailering info from the Dealer World also. This is a trailer originaly designed to go behind a Boxster so I know it works on that, and on 924/944's as well. Anyone seen Miata's with small trailers?

Having never had a trailer hookup on any of my cars before I don't want to get this trailer if it's going to be totaly impossible to do.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hehehe went to google again and changed what I was searching for and solved two issues in on link. Found Miata trailer hitches, and not exactly a track day trailer, but a decent substitute.
http://www.mainstreet-data.com/trailer/

Hope something like this works with the Solstice too.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
There goes any idea of pulling a car trailer behind with some real luggage space! :glol:

·
Registered
381 Posts
PAS22 said:
There goes any idea of pulling a car trailer behind with some real luggage space! :glol:
Nah. It just means that you take all responsibility if you do. Heck, I used to pull a Hobie 16 behind my 1978 Civic, even when we moved from Naples to Gainesville, ~280 miles.

I checked the Autocross Trailer link that Brentil posted below. As it turns out, my wife & I were eyeing that exact same trailer at Harbor Freight just yesterday. It was hanging from the ceiling, so I didn't get to check it out closely, but it looked like it would work perfectly for trips, bringing home the Christmas Tree, taking your mother-in-law :cuss: for a ride, etc.....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Don't bother with the NuWay--it's WAY too big!

brentil said:
hehehe went to google again and changed what I was searching for and solved two issues in on link. Found Miata trailer hitches, and not exactly a track day trailer, but a decent substitute.
http://www.mainstreet-data.com/trailer/

Hope something like this works with the Solstice too.
The trailer referenced in the article is substantially smaller than the old NuWay trailer.

An updated URL for the trailer this fellow actually used is: link to: Harbor Freight Haul Master 42708-6VGA Mini Utility Trailer. Best of all, it's still $170...discounted to $165.

The NuWay line of trailers was sold during a bankruptcy proceeding by Martin Industries Inc. to Hunter Technology, Inc. in 2002 as reported in the Birmingham Business Journal: link to: Martin-Hunter article from the Birmingham Business Journal
Birmingham Business Journal said:
Martin also transferred to Hunter the assets used to manufacture its NuWay utility trailers, which can be used to transport light cargo and have been manufactured by Hunter since fourth-quarter 2000. The trailers previously were produced at a Martin plant in Huntsville, which closed in early 2000.
They are currently doing business as Hunter Outdoor Products, but they're not easy to find on the web. Their main site seems to be hosted at: http://www.mrglobal.com/index.html

The closest that the NuWay line of trailers through Hunter has is their utility trailer, but it's actually very large-- 12'0" long and 5'10" wide! [See link to: Hunter Outdoor Products utility trailer].

I spent a fair bit of time digging this up, so I thought I'd share the update.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
has anybody checked into those trailers that are towed behind touring bikes....I have seen them run from 1500 to 5000 depending on the size, and options.....most providing approx 20 cu ft of storage...and generally weighing 300-400 pounds before cargo.......also found this site that specializes in trailers for those smaller cars....note the Z3/4 and ford focus trailers here...any ideas on these?

http://www.adventuresportsproducts.com/automobiles-gallery.htm

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
A car dealer in a nearby town has pull behind trailers that look like miniature campers (their not, just for carrying things). Never checked out the prices but they look like something a bicycle wouldn't have a problem pulling, so shouldn't be a problem with the Solstice. Think I will just use the form-to-shape soft luggage and maybe some of those air shrink packing they advertise on TV! :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the trailer I'm going to trade for. It's got the metal box welded on, plus it has a lockable arm welded on for the wheels. It was pulled behind a Boxster, 924, and 944 previously.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WaitingForBoost said:
But will Florida let us have a personalized plate for a trailer? :)
You know what, I'm not sure. I need to look into that because I have a personalized plate on my toher car I'm getting rid of but I want to keep the plate. I could see if I could get it put on the trailer instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts