Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty new here so hopefully i get this in the right spot. I actually forgot i joined at some point and found the site again. BTW Awesome sight and I will now stay active.

Now for the issue:

It started yesterday (according to the wife, its her car, my toy) when driving there is a horrid clanky clunky noise that sounds like its the transmission best I can tell. Its in every gear, speed doesnt matter it seems to be present. The clutch feels normal as I shift through the gears so not thinking its a clutch issue. When i put the car in neutral the noise goes away. Its like it only makes the noise when the transmission is engaged. So im not real sure if its an internal transmission issue or what. Cars i have had in the past if its a ujoint or driveline problem would make the noise no matter if the transmission was engaged or not. Just fishing for idea, I just had knee surgery Tuesday so I can just pull the transmission to check unless I have a good idea what to look for LOL. In advance I appreciate the help :smile2::grin:

2008 Solstice GXP/5 speed manual.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't speak specifically to your issue, but when checking under the car, be sure to eyeball the differential mounts. I had weird driveline clunking in my 09 that got worse as time went on, multiple mechanics checked out the transmission area and couldn't see an issue. I finally noticed that the diff was the issue, it was shredding its own mounting plate. Because of the torque bar design and the way that it transmitted the clunk into the cabin, the symptoms led me to think that it was a transmission issue for a good while. If I'd caught it sooner I could have saved myself 20+ hours of labor, two diff oil soaked t-shirts (They still smell three weeks and two washes later), and the chipped tooth I earned putting in a new differential.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Also, there's been posts on engine mounts going bad.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Im pretty new here so hopefully i get this in the right spot. I actually forgot i joined at some point and found the site again. BTW Awesome sight and I will now stay active.

Now for the issue:

It started yesterday (according to the wife, its her car, my toy) when driving there is a horrid clanky clunky noise that sounds like its the transmission best I can tell. Its in every gear, speed doesnt matter it seems to be present. The clutch feels normal as I shift through the gears so not thinking its a clutch issue. When i put the car in neutral the noise goes away. Its like it only makes the noise when the transmission is engaged. So im not real sure if its an internal transmission issue or what. Cars i have had in the past if its a ujoint or driveline problem would make the noise no matter if the transmission was engaged or not. Just fishing for idea, I just had knee surgery Tuesday so I can just pull the transmission to check unless I have a good idea what to look for LOL. In advance I appreciate the help :smile2::grin:

2008 Solstice GXP/5 speed manual.
Does the sound synchronize with speed? Like the faster you go the noise gets faster, slower you go the noise gets slower?

Is it more of a vibration buzzing noise? Or is it like a hammer on metal? No offense to you or your partner, but customer descriptions of noises and problems always leave out crucial details or the information was mis-interpreted, so a smart mechanic never takes the customers word for it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems to speed up as speed increases...as I recall...ill run it down the road to check again in the morning. Its not like hammer on metal like you hear with a rod knock...more of a clunk clunk sound (yeah crappy description). However no matter how fast I am going as soon as I put it in neutral all the noise totally stops.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay drove it this morning a few minutes ago....the best way I can describe it is more like metal vibrating against metal and its loud enough my wife heard it at the end of the block. It is synchronize with speed...the faster you go the faster the noise goes. Its not like buzz its like metal against metal. Being proportionate to speed any ideas? again in neutral there is no noise at all.

Thanks a ton everyone

·
Administrator
9,718 Posts
Is the noise related to engine load? If you are in gear but neither accelerating or decelerating does the noise change? The only real mechanical difference between in-gear and neutral is the shifter, as everything else is in pretty much the same configuration. What happens if you push on the shifter, like you are holding it in gear? What if you keep it in gear, but hold the clutch in?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in gear clutch in the sound goes away...its like it only makes noise with power going through the transmission...ill try pushing the shifter up like I'm holding it in gear in a few. the odd thing is even with the noise there seems to be no loss of power and all the gears work....

·
Administrator
9,718 Posts
If pushing the clutch in does the same as putting it in neutral it isn't the shifter, so there is no need to hold it in gear.
It could be the CV joint at the back of the transmission. That is something that may click under load but not when just spinning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assume you check it the same way as any other cv joint....my wife just now told me she heard a thud from behind the shifter..putting that together with what you are saying now I'm thinking it tossed a bearing out of the CV joint. gonna go have a look...sometimes id like to toss this car but they are just do damn fun..that and I just put a new motor in it 3 months ago(because its fun to drive LOL)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay well after removing all the plates (Had no clue so many) to access the driveshaft I didn't find any loose bolts or anything that appeared on the surface as bad. Just found a ton of grease on a boot on top of where the cv joint is (the underside of the shifter boot I am assuming).. Is there anyway to tell if that cv joint is bad prior to pulling the shaft? If not should I just pull the shaft and should I look for anything specific on that joint or just replace it. Thanks again all!

·
Administrator
9,718 Posts
I don't know about a sticky, here is the procedure from the service manual:
1) Remove exhaust pipe and muffler
2) Remove driveline closeout panel
3) Support drive axle with transmission jack
4) Remove left and right rear differential support bolts
5) Remove front differential support bolt
6) Remove propeller shaft bolts from the transmission output flange
7) Remove propeller shaft nuts and bolts from the drive axle input flange
8) Lower the drive axle assembly enough to remove the propeller shaft from the vehicle

·
Registered
384 Posts
I cant get it out...im used to standard u joints like on my trucks...
Pull the rear differential mounting bolt, on the big front mount (not the dual rear). This will allow the diff to angle down, then you can sneak the driveshaft out. Do not remove the rubber giubo "u-joint" part from the driveshaft, unbolt this rubber from the diff.

The front joint may fall out of the yoke, but my Michigan car required mechanical intervention to remove the front shaft joint from the transmission output yoke. After this a little anti-seize prevents this from happening.

I can confirm a different (used) driveshaft that I installed last year cleared up a lot of vibration/clicking. I still had "the clunk", but this was solved with a Poly front differential mount. My vibrations have seemed to have returned. I have some videos posted of the driveshaft click I replicated on jackstands, by "punching" the driveshaft lightly, you can hear a click noise. This click noise was on the old driveshaft, and eventually the new driveshaft.

I too am having all kinds of weird noises, I am still working through it. My next steps are to either invest in a custom driveshaft with dual standard u-joint or replace the AR5 transmission, I am not 100% sure which one is causing the noises. My second driveshaft CV grease exploded all over the shifter, NVH blanket, and trans mount. Try to avoid getting that stuff on your skin.

I get a wretched noise cruising in 4th gear, like a vibration mixed with mechanical knocking dependent positive and negative loading of the driveline from cruising (you're on/off the gas to maintain speed, etc.). You can still notice the noise in other gears, but significantly more faint. 4th gear for some reason creates a bad resonance.

Also note, my car has a ton of power.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Is there a way to check the balance of a driveshaft? If found unbalanced, wouldn't it be better off to search out a race car shop to balance it rather than a run of the mill garage?

·
Administrator
9,718 Posts
It is unlikely that either a race shop or a run-of-the-mill garage would be able to balance a propeller shaft. Unless they do a lot of drive shaft work they won't want to invest the time and money in a balancing machine and the training to operate it. My experience (not universal, of course) has been that either type of shop will send shafts (propeller or axle) to a specialty shop for repair, alteration, or balancing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks a ton...that's exactly how I ended up getting it out....basically LOL...waiting on a cap they forgot to send to put it back together

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I checked all the mounts on the rear end and checked for leaks as I was under there...everything appeared good however the CV joint was void of any grease and had a torn boot at the the rear where it mates up to the driveline

1 - 20 of 28 Posts