Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the next variables and things to worry about is, how long will it take the car to arrive at the dealerships. We don't really have anything to base our expectations on.

The last cars built in Wilmington were Saturns. I have no access to Saturn infomation. The nearest GM plant is Baltimore Maryland, which builds the Astro & Safari.

So I made the big assumption that the shipment times may be simular since the cars maybe distributed through the same channels and modes.

I looked at Chris' map and picked out some city points. Did a inventory search for 2005 Astro RWD by city name. Took down all the VINs that came back, or stopped at 5 if there was more then 5. Checked in a GM system for "available to ship" and "dealer received" dates. I selected "available to ship" over "produced" since we know that the Solstices will be looked over when produced. Figured "available" would be a better starting spot for determining shipment time. I selected "available to ship" over "shipped" because I thought it would leave more actual shipping variables in.

I have no special insight into the Astro, or other potential issues that may have effected the shipment times, but I figure 28 cars over the last 10 months could be fairly representative, at least enough to present to the forum.

Below are the results by city, (number of vehicles), and average time. I have no clue what is up with Columbus, OH.

Boston, MA (3).............21 Days
2-Baltimore, MD (5).........4 Days (Plant is in Baltimore)
2-Richmond, VA (0)
2-Norfolk, VA (3)...........10 Days
2-Philadelphia, PA (5).......6 Days
Columbus, OH (2)...........5 Days
Detroit, MI (5)..............16 Days
Miami, FL (1)................24 Days
2-Orlando, FL (2)..........39 Days (Last Sept/Oct, Hurricane effect?)
2-Jacksonvile, FL (1).....30 Days
Atlanta, GA (4).............18 Days
Kansas City, MO (1).......24 Days
Midland, TX (0)
Phoenix, AZ (3).............15 Days
Salt Lake City, UT (0)
Los Angeles, CA (0)
Oakland, CA (2).............17 Days
San Diego (4)................17 Days
Seattle, WA (3).............20 Days

Average.......................18 Days (original cities)

This kind of fits in with the EOP call center saying that dealers will have two weeks notice before the cars arrive.

This also shows why I have not believed in the late July/early August customer delivery estimate.

Hope it adds to the level of understanding for forum members.

EDIT: 7-9-05 (Marked with #2)-Added Jacksonville, Orlando, Norfolk, Philadelphia, Ricmond and Baltimore per some requests.

EDIT 9-10-05
It has been pointed out in a recent thread that Lordstown Ohio may be a transit hub for GM cars. They may all be trucked there to be put on rail to other parts of the country. This could finally explain the sort delivery times to Ohio.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Small dealer,
I read your estimate on delivery times, and I have a bone to pick with you. You state "This also shows why I have not believed in the late July/early August customer delivery estimates that people think they heard the EOP center say." You say the July/August estimates are what people "think" they heard from the EOP center. I got my call the same as I'm certain so many others have. My call was one of the later calls so I had the benefit of reading what other Forum members said they heard. I listened very carefully when I got my call and I was told DELIVERY of the first units the end of July the beginning of August. I'm not taking exception to your delivery estimate, because I feel it is probably very accurate. I do take exception to you implying the Forum members "thinking" they heard these dates. I can't speak for other members, but I can take a good guess that they heard exactly what I heard and that was a DELIVERY by late July, early August. The EOP may not be giving us the correct information but I stand by my opinion that other Forum members "heard" the same dates I did, and didn't just imagine the dates. You obviously have a better source in information than most of us do, but I feel your statement is condescending in nature and I am offended by the remark. There are a lot of people on this Forum that through their bios and comments obviously have IQ's far above that of your typical internet chat room visitor. I still stand by my opinion that they did hear what they said, because I am certain the speech I got was the same as there's.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I am an hour north of Columbus so maybe I can get mine quick, I hope.

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ex-Miata Man said:
You state "This also shows why I have not believed in the late July/early August customer delivery estimates that people think they heard the EOP center say."

You say the July/August estimates are what people "think" they heard from the EOP center.

I listened very carefully when I got my call and I was told DELIVERY of the first units the end of July the beginning of August.
Did you notice that we are talking about two different things?

Using two different terms?

I am using customer delivery, you are using delivery.

I was not commenting on IQ or the state of peoples hearing. The pharagraph was pointing out that what they were hearing wasn't what the EOP center was saying.

Look at the email message that the 1000 Frist 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstice buyers received simultaneuosly with the EOP phone calls:

"Based on current production schedules, the First 1000 retail orders are expected to begin shipping by the end of July or early August and all should be delivered by the end of October or sooner."

Whole different meaning when the word "shipping" replaces the word "delivery"?

Other then Columbus (?), there is almost no way anything that starts production late July or starts shipping late July gets to a dealer for customer delivery during July.

But if you misread and feel insulted, I apologize and will edit the post. Have a good and safe 4th.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
No Canadian Times? What is this?

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SlipSlider said:
No Canadian Times? What is this?
Don't think I have access to the same info, but will check next time I am in the office. Which city should I aim for?

·
Registered
93 Posts
We all wish that they would have been here yesterday, But they are not so we will have to wait untill they get here, Then the speculation will be over :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Great information SD, thanks for taking the time to do it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
936 Posts
You are correct Small Dealer, I was one that heard shipping and figured delivery would be very close but I see what you are saying thanks for pointing that out now my only hope is being close to Columbus.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Excellent research! Thanks, SD!

Small Dealer said:
Did you notice that we are talking about two different things?

Using two different terms?

I am using customer delivery, you are using delivery.

I was not commenting on IQ or the state of peoples hearing. The paragraph was pointing out that what they were hearing wasn't what the EOP center was saying.

Look at the email message that the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstice buyers received simultaneously with the EOP phone calls:

"Based on current production schedules, the First 1000 retail orders are expected to begin shipping by the end of July or early August and all should be delivered by the end of October or sooner."

Whole different meaning when the word "shipping" replaces the word "delivery"?

Other then Columbus (?), there is almost no way anything that starts production late July or starts shipping late July gets to a dealer for customer delivery during July.

But if you misread and feel insulted, I apologize and will edit the post. Have a good and safe 4th.
Wow! This waiting thing sure has some folks on edge. Small Dealer, I can loan you my fire resistant underwear, SFI rated fire suit, and Nomex gloves... You might need them. Hope you like red. ;) I'm using the suit this weekend up at Willow Springs International Raceway, but I can FedEx it to you Tuesday. :lol:

Folks, I know it's frustrating, and it takes a lot of filtering, sifting, discussing, and fretting to ferret out the correct interpretation of the information coming out of Pontiac and GM, but I think we owe Small Dealer a round of applause--heck, let's make it a standing ovation! :thumbs:

Of all of the posters here on the forum, Small Dealer has often been the voice of deliberated, well reasoned calm. Small dealer is often very early to the punch, and almost always substantially more accurate than most of us looking at this from outside of GM. So, here's to you, Small Dealer! :cheers:

Just let us know if we need to get out the CO2 fire extinguishers. :leaving:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Plan B: move to Columbus, OH. :)

This is interesting info, thank! If you can find out anything on Jacksonville or Orlando, I'd appreciate it. Miami is as far away as Atlanta for us guys here in the northern part of FL.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Great Info! Thanks, SD!

Wow, I'm really surprised that cars reach California faster than they get to Boston. Must be all that North East traffic congestion!

And I was hoping that since Northern NJ is only about a three or four hour drive from Deleware and Maryland, I would get my car fairly quick.

Small Dealer, any chance you could run a few numbers for the New York Metro area?

EDIT: Just ran the distances from home to Wilmington, DE on mapquest, 150 miles and 2 1/2 hours. I wish GM would let us pick our cars up at the plant! I would definitely bum a ride down and pick mine up!

·
Registered
316 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Plan B: move to Columbus, OH. :)

This is interesting info, thank! If you can find out anything on Jacksonville or Orlando, I'd appreciate it. Miami is as far away as Atlanta for us guys here in the northern part of FL.
SD thanks for the info. I cant personally speculate on why the Columbus times are so different other that the Chevy dealers around here seem to move alot of cars and maybe they have an optimized delivery system because of it. Plus it is a relatively easy, straight shot from the East out the freeways to here, especially on I-70. Haulers dont have to stray off the route to far to deliver. Would that mean the cars wouldnt need to be transferred or rerouted like other freight is sometimes? I would think the times to the Michigan locations would be short because of moving cars there for all sorts of reasons not just for dealer delivery.

It would certainly be nice to have a large owners group here if people moved in, but I dont know if interest rates going up would make that a very attractive impulse. :lol: Cost of living is reasonable here though.

It is encouraging to think we might get our cars here earlier rather than later. Hope we get some info on how production is going once it starts and when our individual cars are to be built. I might wet myself with excitement if my Sly shows up by the end of this month or early August.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Let's hope it doesn't take too long to get to Maryland/Virginia.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Right-on SD

Thanks, Small Dealer, I agree that you do perform a great service to this board. Having worked for GM with over 30 years in assembly plants, one of the biggest variables in transit time is how the car was shipped, rail vs. truck. Rail transit is always slower than truck by as much as 10 to 14 days.

I'm sure that if we just keep our collective heads and don't start flaming each other, this board will be a pleasant way to kill time while waiting for our cars.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Folks, I know it's frustrating, and it takes a lot of filtering, sifting, discussing, and fretting to ferret out the correct interpretation of the information coming out of Pontiac and GM, but I think we owe Small Dealer a round of applause--heck, let's make it a standing ovation! :thumbs:

Of all of the posters here on the forum, Small Dealer has often been the voice of deliberated, well reasoned calm. Small dealer is often very early to the punch, and almost always substantially more accurate than most of us looking at this from outside of GM. So, here's to you, Small Dealer! :cheers:

:agree: :agree: :agree: :lol: :) ;) happy 4th to you all

·
Registered
108 Posts
Small Dealer said:
SD, Thanks for the excellent info, while discouraging (Why can't they fed-ex it overnight :lol: ), it's good to know. However, I'm not sure if everyone else was told something different than I but when the EOP hotline called and I asked when the production would start rather than saying "late July" I was told July 5th (Actually, I was told that production was "scheduled" to start July 5th but could still be moved). If this is correct then there's still a possibility of a late July/Early August delivery for some lucky folks.

Anyone have any input on actual date of production starting and if the July 5th date I was given has any basis in fact? I noticed that Willmington has been added to the production reports on GM's investor website (production #s are still 0 of course), hopefully that's a good sign.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
Anyone have any input on actual date of production starting and if the July 5th date I was given has any basis in fact?
All signals we've heard point to 7/11 or 7/18 start.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm as anxious as anyone to get my hands on my Sol! I fully expect to see it in Sept. Am I dreaming? I don't think so, but if it is later, I don't care!

In 100 years NO ONE will care! :lol:

We can speculate as much as we want here, and it can be fun to hear all of your opinions, ideas, and guesses. BUT, I suspect that with the "spies" we have who are close to the plant, I expect we will know EXACTLY what day cars start to be built and parked on the ground outside! :yesnod:

My dread is to see all of the posts that will start when the first cars start to be delivered!
"I'm closer to the plant, where's mine?"
"I have to wait because they built another color first!"
"How come they get theirs first?"
"This is unfair!! I want mine NOW!!"
I say we group them ALL under a sticky thread titled "WHAA WHAA". :lol:

God forbid ANYONE gets an allocation car prior to EVERY EOP delivery!! The doo-doo will really hit the rotating blades then!! Zero-zippers, oversights, same issues! I can hear it coming now!

I would like to say "THANK YOU VERY MUCH" to SD for all of his hard work to put together his post!! I'm sure he meant it to try to help people get a better understanding of when to expect their cars! I don't think he did it to create more strife and discontent!

I would like to suggest that we ALL remember we are here because we fell in love with this car! I would also like to suggest that we all consider ONE AND ONLY ONE response to any posts from people when they receive their car...

"Congratulations, I am jealous and can't wait!! Enjoy and share your thoughts, pictures, stories and experiences with us soon and often!!"

[climbing down of my soap box now]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts