Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Transit Time Research

5K views 38 replies 21 participants last post by  AZJuez 
#1 · (Edited)
One of the next variables and things to worry about is, how long will it take the car to arrive at the dealerships. We don't really have anything to base our expectations on.

The last cars built in Wilmington were Saturns. I have no access to Saturn infomation. The nearest GM plant is Baltimore Maryland, which builds the Astro & Safari.

So I made the big assumption that the shipment times may be simular since the cars maybe distributed through the same channels and modes.

I looked at Chris' map and picked out some city points. Did a inventory search for 2005 Astro RWD by city name. Took down all the VINs that came back, or stopped at 5 if there was more then 5. Checked in a GM system for "available to ship" and "dealer received" dates. I selected "available to ship" over "produced" since we know that the Solstices will be looked over when produced. Figured "available" would be a better starting spot for determining shipment time. I selected "available to ship" over "shipped" because I thought it would leave more actual shipping variables in.

I have no special insight into the Astro, or other potential issues that may have effected the shipment times, but I figure 28 cars over the last 10 months could be fairly representative, at least enough to present to the forum.

Below are the results by city, (number of vehicles), and average time. I have no clue what is up with Columbus, OH.

Boston, MA (3).............21 Days
2-Baltimore, MD (5).........4 Days (Plant is in Baltimore)
2-Richmond, VA (0)
2-Norfolk, VA (3)...........10 Days
2-Philadelphia, PA (5).......6 Days
Columbus, OH (2)...........5 Days
Detroit, MI (5)..............16 Days
Miami, FL (1)................24 Days
2-Orlando, FL (2)..........39 Days (Last Sept/Oct, Hurricane effect?)
2-Jacksonvile, FL (1).....30 Days
Atlanta, GA (4).............18 Days
Kansas City, MO (1).......24 Days
Midland, TX (0)
Phoenix, AZ (3).............15 Days
Salt Lake City, UT (0)
Los Angeles, CA (0)
Oakland, CA (2).............17 Days
San Diego (4)................17 Days
Seattle, WA (3).............20 Days

Average.......................18 Days (original cities)

This kind of fits in with the EOP call center saying that dealers will have two weeks notice before the cars arrive.

This also shows why I have not believed in the late July/early August customer delivery estimate.

Hope it adds to the level of understanding for forum members.

EDIT: 7-9-05 (Marked with #2)-Added Jacksonville, Orlando, Norfolk, Philadelphia, Ricmond and Baltimore per some requests.

EDIT 9-10-05
It has been pointed out in a recent thread that Lordstown Ohio may be a transit hub for GM cars. They may all be trucked there to be put on rail to other parts of the country. This could finally explain the sort delivery times to Ohio.

See less See more
#30 ·
SlipSlider said:
No Canadian Times? What is this?
Can't locate Canadian Astros through the same dealer locator system that I used for this project. Went to GM Canada and tried their vehicle search and only cam up with the last three numbers of a VIN, not enough to check on. Linked over to the dealer's site, did a new Inventory search and they didn't have the Astros that the GM site said they did. So I trew in the towel. Sorry.

Also added 6 new cities that were requested or closer to the plant. Jacksonville, Orlando, Richmond, Norfolk, Philadelphia, and Baltimore.

#31 ·
Small Dealer said:
One of the next variables and things to worry about is, how long will it take the car to arrive at the dealerships. We don't really have anything to base our expectations on.

The last cars built in Wilmington were Saturns. I have no access to Saturn infomation. The nearest GM plant is Baltimore Maryland, which builds the Astro & Safari.

So I made the big assumption that the shipment times may be simular since the cars maybe distributed through the same channels and modes.

I looked at Chris' map and picked out some city points. Did a inventory search for 2005 Astro RWD by city name. Took down all the VINs that came back, or stopped at 5 if there was more then 5. Checked in a GM system for "available to ship" and "dealer received" dates. I selected "available to ship" over "produced" since we know that the Solstices will be looked over when produced. Figured "available" would be a better starting spot for determining shipment time. I selected "available to ship" over "shipped" because I thought it would leave more actual shipping variables in.

I have no special insight into the Astro, or other potential issues that may have effected the shipment times, but I figure 28 cars over the last 10 months could be fairly representative, at least enough to present to the forum.

Below are the results by city, number of vehicles, and average time. I have no clue what is up with Columbus, OH.

Boston, MA (3).............21 Days
2-Baltimore, MD (5).........4 Days (Plant is in Baltimore)
2-Richmond, VA (0)
2-Norfolk, VA (3)...........10 Days
2-Philadelphia, PA (5).......6 Days
Columbus, OH (2)...........5 Days
Detroit, MI (5)..............16 Days
Miami, FL (1)................24 Days
2-Orlando, FL (2)..........39 Days (Last Sept/Oct, Hurricane effect?)
2-Jacksonvile, FL (1).....30 Days
Atlanta, GA (4).............18 Days
Kansas City, MO (1).......24 Days
Midland, TX (0)
Phoenix, AZ (3).............15 Days
Salt Lake City, UT (0)
Los Angeles, CA (0)
Oakland, CA (2).............17 Days
San Diego (4)................17 Days
Seattle, WA (3).............20 Days

Average.......................18 Days (original cities)

This kind of fits in with the EOP call center saying that dealers will have two weeks notice before the cars arrive.

This also shows why I have not believed in the late July/early August customer delivery estimate.

Hope it adds to the level of understanding for forum members.

EDIT: 7-9-05 2-Added Jacksonville, Orlando, Norfolk, Philadelphia, Ricmond and Baltimore per some requests.
I Live in the Richmond, VA metro area. What does the 2 in front of Richmond mean? Also, what is the number in parenthesis mean? Thanks

#32 · (Edited)
spyderone said:
I Live in the Richmond, VA metro area. What does the 2 in front of Richmond mean? Also, what is the number in parenthesis mean? Thanks
"2" is second group of cities in my research/posts and "(x)" is the number of vehicles found. Cleared it up in the text.

#33 ·
30 days! what the f*ck... plus an extra 9 days just to go 3 more hours south?!

certainly these delivery times will not be anywhere near what we have to experience due to the fact that the Astro never had the kind of demand the Solstice has. I would hope they'd deliver them much faster since these cars are much more of a hot commodity.

#36 ·
What do you mean by second round?

#37 ·
Adrenaline said:
What do you mean by second round?
SD did a second round of research to add additional cities, based on requests from forum members. So the second round (those cities with 2 in front of them) is for the additional cities that were not in the original post, and were added later.

#38 ·
dengel said:
SD did a second round of research to add additional cities, based on requests from forum members. So the second round (those cities with 2 in front of them) is for the additional cities that were not in the original post, and were added later.
Oh ok, whew I thought it was implying that those locations wouldn't get delivery until the 2nd round of deliveries :)

#39 ·
I am with JWally . . . let's all play nice in here.

One of the great things about a forum is that it is the concept of Freedom of Speech in practice. We are all entitled to our own personal beliefs and presumptions.

Fact is that we will get our cars when whey arrive at the dealers, and the dealers will be notified about two week prior to their arrival that they are on the way. That will be a very long two weeks for each of us, for sure.

In the meantime, let's all play nice . .

:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.